Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scenario: Azathoth's got 13 Doom Tokens. Daisy Walker (or any good spellcaster really) decides that it's time to cross the streams, and taking Lily Chen's Personal Story into account, casts Call Ancient One. She spends some Sanity and Gate Trophies to cast the spell, and succeeds. Then...

Question: ...what happens?

Here's the rules breakdown:
1) Assuming a success, CAO wakes up the Ancient One, filling their Doom Track.

2) The Pass condition for Chosen One, This is It, triggers. Azathoth gets a token plinked off his Doom Track.

3) The rest of CAO triggers, removing Doom Tokens equal to the amount of Gate Trophies/Monster Toughness spent.

Now, the wording on Call Ancient One is "Discard X monster and/or gate trophies, then cast and discard this spell to immediately awaken the Ancient One. Then, remove X doom tokens from its doom track."

My reading of it is that the two actions are not dependent. Rather, they seem to be two separate steps. However, I don't always get this stuff right, and I figure I'd ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... interesting...

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as you propose. Lilly's personal story would indeed trigger as soon as the ancient one awakened, and prevent that awakening ("can't" always beats "can" in Arkham).

The second effect of CAO is listed as "then", and there is no reason to presume it would not function normally, even if the first part of the spell was prevented.

I think you've found a rarely usable, but perfectly legal loophole.

And a significant one... I've seen CAO cast with an X equal to five... with This is It, that's almost half the Doom Track emptied...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timing would be:

Azathoth DT hits 14
This is It! comes into play and DT goes to 13, Azathoth does not wake up
CAO is played and resolved
Azathoth awakens and destroys the Universe with DT on 14-X

The key to the whole thing is that CAO says: "immediately awaken the Ancient One". AZ is awakened twice in this scenario, Lily's PS prevents the first (per the card), nothing prevents the second (that is triggered by CAO). CAO is designed to give you an edge in Final Battle, but you don't get an FB with AZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Timing would be:

Azathoth DT hits 14
Azathoth awakens and destroys the Universe.

MC, what causes the awakening after all those other events? The Doom Track fills when the Ancient One awakens, not before... (AH rulebook, pg. 20, last line.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Timing would be:

Azathoth DT hits 14
Azathoth awakens and destroys the Universe.

MC, what causes the awakening after all those other events? The Doom Track fills when the Ancient One awakens, not before... (AH rulebook, pg. 20, last line.)
Sorry, misread the sequencing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Is It pass condition is the effect of Call Ancient One in this case. The former also specifically states that Azathoth does not awaken.

So, you would discard X doom tokens from CAO card and then one from This Is It.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a completely different take on these cards than everyone else.

First of all, Lily's pass condition triggers when the Ancient One awakens. Removing the doom token just reduces the number of doom tokens that have to be removed during Final Battle by one.

When the Ancient One awakens, there is no magical tap back that keeps him awake. That isn't the rationale behind her personal story pass condition. The rationale is to basically have her inflict FB damage equal to the number of investigators, making it that much easier to defeat him in FB.

Call The Ancient One automatically awakens the Ancient One. Again, at this point Lily passes her personal story and Azathoth has one of his fourteen doom tokens removed.

Unfortunately, Azathoth devours the world upon awakening. The world, also unfortunately, includes the investigators. The investigators lose the game.

Again, the removal of doom tokens with CAO does not rewind the doom track. It removes x doom tokens to make FB easier. The text of both Lily's ps and CAO state the AO is awakened.

Call The Ancient One is really a crutch to defeat the original AOs, which are a lot easier than the expansion AOs, particularly Hastur, whose minus to Final Battle combat is equal to the current terror level.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemaster wrote:
This Is It pass condition is the effect of Call Ancient One in this case. The former also specifically states that Azathoth does not awaken.

So, you would discard X doom tokens from CAO card and then one from This Is It.

Is this true, Jeff? I'll have to look at Wiki Arkham Horror. It could be that I read it completely the first time and then have assumed that the AO awakened without rereading the text.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, it's notthe removal of Doom Tokens that put Azzie back to sleep... it's part of Lily's story.

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Lily_Chen

After This is It! prevents the first awakening, there is nothing to trigger a second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla has it, this was the aspect that I screwed up in my botched contribution. This is the real sequence

1. AZ starts at DT <14
2. X Trophies are sacrificed in preparation for CAO
3. CAO is successfully cast, waking AZ and quite possibly sending the caster insane
4. This is it! is triggered - "If AZ is the AO only remove one DT but AZ does not awaken", DT is reduced by one and AZ continues to slumber
5. X Trophies are removed from the DT
6. High fives over the table, shouts of "Epic!" resound

I absolutely agree that the intent of CAO is to allow the Investigators to fight a weakened AO (presumably summoning them before they are ready leaves them unprepared - maybe they aren't "morning people"). However, Lily's PS is specifically worded to handle AZ awakening. I suspect that there is implicit text on CAO which would read "Then, remove X doom tokens from the awakened AO's doom track". But that text isn't there and besides, the cost of casting CAO as well as the success modifier generally means that X is only 2 or 3, so I don't see it as a big deal. Rather elegant in fact, despite being a "play the rules, not the spirit" play. A classic use of a highly situational Spell and a great PS success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.