Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can the NATO card be removed from play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo bbb
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey evveryone,

just a simple question: can the NATO card be removed from play?

I'm asking this since the card has an asterisk, but I don't see anyway it could be removed.
If I understood the rules correctly, permanent cards that also have asterisks are only removed when another card cancels their effect. In NATO's case though I don't see any card that does this, since Willy Brandt/De Gaulle only limit its effect, but they don't cancel it.
So basically, what's the asterisk on the NATO card for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A card with an asterisk on it is removed from the deck once the event has occurred, not from play. The underline on it shows that it has a lasting effect, so is usually marked with a counter, or kept somewhere near the board as a reminder.

NATO can't be cancelled (unlike, say, Flower Power) because there is no other card that specifically cancels it (except Willy Brandt and DeGaulle cancel it for France and W Germany only, as you noted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
Once played as an event (either by USSR for any reason for by USA as an event), assuming one of the conditions precedent has been met (Marshall Plan played as an event or Warsaw Pact played as an event), NATO is permanently removed from the game.

Its effects linger for the rest of the game unless they are abrogated by a card such as De Gaulle Leads France or Willy Brandt. But the card itself never gets reshuffled back into the deck once played as an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo bbb
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, I got it now. I think it was just me not understanding the terms "play" and "game" correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
butik man
msg tools
On a side note

Please. How can you cancel NATO. Who will defend us if NATO isn't here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
butik wrote:
On a side note

Please. How can you cancel NATO. Who will defend us if NATO isn't here
NATO can't be canceled. It's a generally crappy event, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls