Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

The Mystery of the Templars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terrible rules! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard van Vugt
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played 'Templars' for the first time. We played period I until we had to clear the table for dinner. We played this period in three hours. Played? No, we discussed about the rules, how to interpret them, moved some pawns, encountered a new problem, and so on.

Some of the problems/questions/ things that are or were unclear (and the rules are unclear and incomplete in many places):

1. The rules state that 'the game is played in 15 rounds'. There are 30 event cards, two of them turned face up each round. The cards are all numbered 1 through 30, suggesting this is the order in which they should be played. But card 21 is The Fall of Jerusalem which announces the last eight prosecution rounds, so this can't be true. Also each stack of cards for each period is shuffled. So the rules SHOULD read: 'The game takes up to fifteen rounds, after which eight special rounds are played'. Annoying, but with some logical thinking it can be solved n(but still the rules should cover this).

2. A player took his relic into the chapel of his player mat for an exhibition, after which it cannot be moved until the start of the prosecution rounds. So he could not transport new relics home. He SHOULD have put it on a transport to Europe, but the rules do not mention this.

3. A knight alone cannot do anything. We took some of them to France without anything with them. Later we discovered we had better left them in Acre, waiting for a better opportunity to deploy them.

4. In the first turn, only France is active. It was only until turn 3 that four new provinces became active, so we finally could buy domes, chapels and castles. Until then we only had the one to three market goods per turn to ship to Marseille to. A slow and dull beginning of an already long game.

5. When a player starts a new caravan or ship transport, he places a destination marker on the map. We were not sure if other players boarding in the same turn also may place a destination marker. When not, when do additional markers come into play?

6. Phase V, resources, point 3: the rules state that in player order each player can reorganise his resources in all buildings and under all seals on the board. The given example contradicts and restricts this by saying: 'A ship has landed in Messina and John's resources were unloaded. He now can move these resources to a building he owns in this area.

7. Why do players have to choose a knight card and place a knight marker before the mission cards are revealed? It makes no sense to me, bidding for a blind card.

8. Some event cards state that novice counters are placed onto specific castles. What is the consequence if the castle is player owned, does it belong to that player? What if the castle is still neutral? How can a player get this novice? Only through a new event card by buying the castle? Or can he travel to the city with a knight an take it (or trade it)?

A final note: a game board should have clear graphics, emphasizing important sections; and the markers should be what markers are meant for: mark something. In more than one instant we had to search for a specific marker, or simply did not notice the tiny enemy markers we previously has placed in an area. The board itself has a dark atmosphere; one should think: great when trying to reflect the dark ages, but cumbersome in play. The board and the game made me remind of the works of Dostojewski: gloomy and full of punishment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Cabra
Italy
Biella
BI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richardsgamepack wrote:

2. A player took his relic into the chapel of his player mat for an exhibition, after which it cannot be moved until the start of the prosecution rounds. So he could not transport new relics home. He SHOULD have put it on a transport to Europe, but the rules do not mention this.


The relics MUST be placed on chapel on your board. BUT you can move it if you DON'T REVEAL IT. SO qhen you discover a relic you place the token on you board facedown. Then if you can/want you can carry it on a ship/caravan to move it to another chapel where you will show it and make VP.

richardsgamepack wrote:

3. A knight alone cannot do anything. We took some of them to France without anything with them. Later we discovered we had better left them in Acre, waiting for a better opportunity to deploy them.


A Knight carried on a caravan can quicly explore all the European countries searching for gold, relics and other knights. He can carry one token if alone, and if you explore a new region that contains a more intresting token you can switch the new one with that you are carry.


richardsgamepack wrote:
4. In the first turn, only France is active. It was only until turn 3 that four new provinces became active, so we finally could buy domes, chapels and castles. Until then we only had the one to three market goods per turn to ship to Marseille to. A slow and dull beginning of an already long game.


Yes happends also to us, but this for me is a good thing that make the game less predictable

richardsgamepack wrote:
5. When a player starts a new caravan or ship transport, he places a destination marker on the map. We were not sure if other players boarding in the same turn also may place a destination marker. When not, when do additional markers come into play?


Every player that carry the transport (ships or caravans) can take a destindion token and place it on the map in EVERY location he prefer. The transport always move to the nearest of them, and when reach the testination the player that has put it on the map must unload the cargo.
If has no Domus or Castles for store his own token they remain on the map anche on V phase he must pay 1 gold for every seal on map that marks his own goods.

richardsgamepack wrote:
6. Phase V, resources, point 3: the rules state that in player order each player can reorganise his resources in all buildings and under all seals on the board. The given example contradicts and restricts this by saying: 'A ship has landed in Messina and John's resources were unloaded. He now can move these resources to a building he owns in this area.


Yes if the player has some Domus or Castle in that area can move the token in that area in his own property. Also for chapels and relics. If he doesn't have some property the godds stay there whit the seal of his color.

richardsgamepack wrote:
7. Why do players have to choose a knight card and place a knight marker before the mission cards are revealed? It makes no sense to me, bidding for a blind card.


Because thi is the rule and this phase give some unpredictability that makes the game more tense. Players who can help each others or not in the game but do not have certainty to succeed and to who wins the relic.

richardsgamepack wrote:
8. Some event cards state that novice counters are placed onto specific castles. What is the consequence if the castle is player owned, does it belong to that player? What if the castle is still neutral? How can a player get this novice? Only through a new event card by buying the castle? Or can he travel to the city with a knight an take it (or trade it)?


When the game brings up the novices, or the barrels, in the provinces, players who own that Domus or Castles gain that token. So it became his own property. He can seel it (barrels) or make a new knight (novice)
Novice appears only whit event cards, if you want more novice you can explore Europe to find others.

I hope to be helpful

Hal
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.