Subject: Dropping a weapon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Adama
Netherlands
Heerenveen
Fryslân
flag msg tools
Can you drop a weapon and grab another weapon, the rules don't mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Iain Banks fanMicrobadge: Kraftwerk fanMicrobadge: Level 18 BGG poster
I always play that anyone in an area with weapons can grab any weapon. Basically they all count as dropped at the beginning of the Grab Weapons phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. Since in the Grab Weapon Phase it is possible to grab but also to exchange weapons between crew members, I treated "dropping" as an action inherent to grabbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Young wrote:
The 8th Edition rules (2011) do mention this.

Any weapon dropped or thrown by a crewman, or left behind when he dies, remains on the board. It may be picked up during the Grab Weapons phase of any later turn. Exception: When a Bottle of Acid, Rocket Fuel, Gas Grenade, or Cannister of Zgwortz is used, the Crew Player returns the counter to an appropriate starting area (see map). It may be picked up and used again later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Adama
Netherlands
Heerenveen
Fryslân
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Mike Young wrote:
The 8th Edition rules (2011) do mention this.

Any weapon dropped or thrown by a crewman, or left behind when he dies, remains on the board. It may be picked up during the Grab Weapons phase of any later turn. Exception: When a Bottle of Acid, Rocket Fuel, Gas Grenade, or Cannister of Zgwortz is used, the Crew Player returns the counter to an appropriate starting area (see map). It may be picked up and used again later.
Thank you for helping out, I found it in the rules too modestmodestmodest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Depression and Mental Health AwarenessMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2019Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Appreciate the little things in lifeMicrobadge: Comparison is the thief of Joy
8th ed, here. Can a crew drop a weapon and grab another in the same room on their same turn? I.e. Is dropping an instantaneous action that can be done during the grab phase? Also, does it matter whether there are greenies in the same room? I.e. can the monsters ever prevent/block/obstruct a crew from grabbing a weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Can a crew drop a weapon and grab another in the same room on their same turn?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, does it matter whether there are greenies in the same room? I.e. can the monsters ever prevent/block/obstruct a crew from grabbing a weapon?
The monsters can get in the way to prevent you from getting to the room with the weapon. But if you're in the room then you can grab it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter X
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Re-reading the (8th Edition) rules, I'm staying with my previous understanding that in the Grab Weapons phase a crew member (except the Ook of course, and subject to only ending up holding one weapon each) can have any weapon which was present in the area at the start of the turn, either by grabbing it or, if another crew member held it, by being handed it.

In other words, while the Attack phase rules do talk about a dropped weapon not being available to pick up until a later turn, in practice a crew member wouldn't drop a weapon in the Grab Weapons phase if someone else in the same area wanted it.

Interestingly, I see nothing to stop a crew member dropping a weapon during the move phase, which would sometimes be useful. The rules merely say "a crewman may not grab a weapon during his move" which to me implies that dropping is allowed. Logically (insofar as Earth logic applies aboard the Znutar) it's easy to let go of something while running through a room, but not so easy to put it down if it's fragile; for example a pool stick should be fine but we cannot know how strong the bottles they keep their acid in would be.

If a weapon can be dropped while passing through a room, I don't see this as allowing it to be used to attack while doing so, that would be stretching rules too far; it is called the "movement portion" after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls