Subject: Playing the Extended scenario short ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rémi Lemaire
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
I've just received my copy of A Distant Plain (and Cuba Libre too), I can't wait to play it !

In general, I prefer to play a situation "from the beginning", so here the Extended scenario starting in 2003. Another reasons, for a first play, to choose this scenario : less pieces on board at start, and no need to reveal initial Capabilities, so no additional small rules added to the "burden" of novice players.

My question : do you think it would have an impact on play balance to play this scenario with only 4 Propaganda cards, like the Short scenario ? (Maybe some factions are disadvantaged in this case because not enough time for them to develop ?)

Rémi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Less Prop cards in a longer game like that would mean the game would probably go longer, you would get a game like Andean Abyss I think. I have found when I played ADP, the full game with all Prop cards, that it actually takes a little less time than AA, because their are more chances to win, that the Prop cards come up more often. With AA and less Prop cards you get more time to develop, and less chaos. ADP with less Prop cards I wouldn't think would change the game much, but it would be interesting to see what others say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rémi,

Welcome to the club! I think you're going to enjoy the game as much as I have! We played the extended scenario in our first game so that no one would win too early, and I played the Warlords. The way it was playing out, it seemed to me that it would take the Warlords a long time to get all the way to 40 resource points AND 15 uncontrolled population, of course I may not have been playing it very efficiently either ... part of the fun is learning what works and what doesn't for each faction during each phase of the game!

Our game ended on the third propaganda card with the Coalition scampering away with the "win" leaving we Afghan factions squabbling among ourselves over whose fault it was that allowed this fate to befall us! (See Great Game! message in the forum).

My suggestion would be to go ahead and set up the deck for the whole extended game, and then if you've worn yourself to a nub by the fourth propaganda card, just stop there, or if you're on the verge of a big win, carry on to the finish!

Whatever you do, you're going to really enjoy the game!

Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rémi Lemaire
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for the answers, I should have been more precise with my question : actually my idea is to play the Extended scenario with 4 Propaganda card and 4 piles of cards with the "regular" number of cards in each (~12), thus playing the game with 48 cards only, leading to a shorter game like the Short scenario. But maybe one faction is clearly disadvantaged with this set-up ?

Rémi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rémi! It's untested, so you would have to accept that a lopsided result may or may not tell you how well the players actually did. I would guess that the Government (in addition to the Warlords, as mentioned) would be disadvantaged, because it can take time to build up the Patronage that the Government needs for victory.

But I also encourage you to try it out, and please report back here what happens. Perhaps it will work well and become a popular variant!

Good luck and best regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rémi Lemaire
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Volko wrote:
I would guess that the Government (in addition to the Warlords, as mentioned) would be disadvantaged, because it can take time to build up the Patronage that the Government needs for victory.
Thank you, I was imagining something like this. It's an interesting hint for a first play. There is another thread discussing the possibility that Government might be the most difficult Faction to play, with the harshest victory conditions. So for a first play, I can see giving the Government and Warlords to the most "seasoned" players, and Coalitions and Talibans to the "less experienced" ones (with the additional advantage that these 2 factions are maybe the easiest to intuitively "grasp", everybody has heard about Talibans, maybe less about Warlords).

Thank you to you and to other authors for such stimulating games !

Rémi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls