Michał Orzechowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like in the subject I just bought my own copy of Talisman, but I'm thinking about buying expansion. The City caught my attention with interesting characters and non-linear board. This raises the question - it is a good addition to begin with? But before that, I'm going to enhance the game one of the smaller expansions, probably The Reaper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Narnia fanMicrobadge: LEGO Star Wars fan
The City is a good expansion and the shopping gives you the ability to become quite powerful rather quickly, however, I would suggest getting the Dungeon before you get the City. It has much tougher enemies and some great rewards for getting through alive (including a possible back door to the Crown Of Command!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, Dungeon > City > Highlands would be my preference were I not obsessed by having them all .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cartoon Network Adult Swim fanMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: "The Universe, what a concept."Microbadge: "Rip didle-ip dip dip dip it's your birthday!"Microbadge: "For your health!"
Dam the Man wrote:
Agree, Dungeon > City > Highlands would be my preference were I not obsessed by having them all .
I agree. Why have just one when you can have all three at 3 times the price? Remember, the best things come in 3's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Orzechowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cause I'm just poor student and don't have money for all of these

I don't wanna get Dungeon first, mainly because all of my friends who own Talisman have pack base + Reaper + Dungeon, so I want to have something different myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cartoon Network Adult Swim fanMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: "The Universe, what a concept."Microbadge: "Rip didle-ip dip dip dip it's your birthday!"Microbadge: "For your health!"
Orzi wrote:

I don't wanna get Dungeon first, mainly because all of my friends who own Talisman have pack base + Reaper + Dungeon, so I want to have something different myself
Believe me, I understand. That's why I said "3 times the price". The City is a good expansion to have regardless. But you can't lose no matter which way you go. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I would say City board is actually the linear board, not Dungeon or Highlands. RAW, you can go back and forth on D and H boards, but City is one way traffic, looping around it, no turning back.

Besides, your subject says first, so assumption is you'll get them all eventually devil . You know you want to .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor D.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
Orzi wrote:

Believe me, I understand. That's why I said "3 times the price". The City is a good expansion to have regardless. But you can't lose no matter which way you go. Enjoy!
3 times the price is 3 times as nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orzi wrote:
Like in the subject I just bought my own copy of Talisman, but I'm thinking about buying expansion. The City caught my attention with interesting characters and non-linear board. This raises the question - it is a good addition to begin with? But before that, I'm going to enhance the game one of the smaller expansions, probably The Reaper
Though they can all stand by themselves, the Dungeon is the best choice in this regard. Once characters reach a certain level of power, it's a nice stepping stone to the end-game.

The Highlands are very cool but not as much so as the Dungeon; however, the Highland board goes great with the City given one can collect a lot of gold there to go spend.

I haven't tried just the base game and the City board. Gold laden characters like the Merchant and Alchemist would have an advantage on such a setup... I suppose the Leprechaun would as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The City is about Gold.
Knowing how to use it and how to abuse it.
The base game doesn't do much to teach Gold use, or really give a point to it other than Fate and Health healing. In that regards, the City takes a minor playing factor of the game and really pushes it into the limelight.

What will end up happening, especially for new players, is a Time Dump. You'll get yourself caught up in the City and feeding the City Gold wihtout winning the game, that is, until the players learn gold usage.

A very good Casual play board until the players figure out how to go to 'Eleven'

Spinal Tap reference? Maybe. But a Spellbook and a Flail costs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spinal tap was the first thing i thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tikal fanMicrobadge: Insider fanMicrobadge: The Quest for El Dorado fanMicrobadge: Century: Spice Road fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne: Amazonas fan
The City expansion is my favorite. I do suggest that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uspec
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys play multiple big expansions at the same time? So lets say city, dungeon and highland in one game session?

Wouldn't the characters spread out too thin around the board, giving the feeling of playing solo games where hardly anyone meets other chars over the whole gametime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uspec wrote:
Do you guys play multiple big expansions at the same time? So lets say city, dungeon and highland in one game session?
Use them all. I mean, I didn't buy them to NOT use them, did I? Have it, so I use it.

Quote:
Wouldn't the characters spread out too thin around the board, giving the feeling of playing solo games where hardly anyone meets other chars over the whole gametime?
Most of the time is still spent on the main board. City gets a quick visit when you have 5+ gold, usually to Armoury for Flail (apart from the crazy Leprechaun games). Dungeon is great for mid- to late-game boosting, don't need to spend many turns to get an extra point or two in stats that can see you Inner Region-ready (although there was a string of four games recently where the LoD to CoC route was taken). Highlands is the least visited of the three, it's usually if you're Evil and choice is between Chapel and Enchantress in the City, quick dip into the Highlands is the safer option (and a few Enemies/Events can dump you there too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Narnia fanMicrobadge: LEGO Star Wars fan
Agree with Dam, I do. All of them, you must use!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orzi wrote:

As someone who's been out of college for a while, let me introduce you to Ramen noodles. Ramen noodles, meet Orzi.

Now that you two are acquainted, you should be able to buy a 40 dollar or less expansion pretty soon. You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls