Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like running two characters. I think it offers more interesting synergies than a single character without the problem of becoming too fiddly to manage by myself. It also has the benefit of allowing me to see more location types than if I ran through everything with a single character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Heroes is the sweet spot for me, 2 or less is too easy and left many good things, 4 or more is a little hard to check every abilities and cards (and takes longer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
System thinker
msg tools
I played only one all the time, but i agree, i would like to see more of the interesting locations on the table.

Also its always a pain losing fights in the early - middle game, and you know you need lucky rolls and an early upcoming villain in the last location to survive the scenario, cause no one is there to help you out.

Now on the way with Sayan, currently starting the 3rd scenario of Burnt offerings, my poor Ezren died right at the first Burnt offerings scenatio to stickfoot, failed 3 times in a row, much bleed, to much. At least he made the Perils adventure.

Sayan is much more solo friendly cause of the blessing recharge stuff and lotsa extra dies with multiple blessing recharges. That way i gave Stickfoot an overpowered roundhouse kick, blast him and his Gecko right through the city gate for good.

Monks rule! ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Sajan is nifty for combat, but he does badly at Stealth, Diplomacy, and Intelligence. Makes it hard to get most of the other cards. He's only really good at Dexterity and somewhat okay at Wisdom, so there's quite a few barriers he'll have trouble with.

But in combat, he's wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
System thinker
msg tools
firedale2002 wrote:
Yep, Sajan is nifty for combat, but he does badly at Stealth, Diplomacy, and Intelligence. Makes it hard to get most of the other cards. He's only really good at Dexterity and somewhat okay at Wisdom, so there's quite a few barriers he'll have trouble with.

But in combat, he's wonderful.
And hand size can be a problem, only 4 cards is quite few if you got to challenge 2 encounters in a row.

Just checked the other characters, the druid and Valeros are two nice ones, also the cleric (sorry for not naming them, i just forgot the names).

Lookin at the diffrent character powers are nice made, im sure every single character is a diffrent feel of play.

Just a great game, build on a great idea, very well balanced, and the most important, your character grows and lasts over multiple games, in fact until he or she dies.

Very very very statisfied with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been running four. Quite happy with four - I've played multiplayer with three and six people. Three seemed a bit too easy with regards to the blessings deck while six was a bit too far the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rougenoir wrote:
dugman wrote:
I like running two characters. I think it offers more interesting synergies than a single character without the problem of becoming too fiddly to manage by myself. It also has the benefit of allowing me to see more location types than if I ran through everything with a single character.
I'm sure that's right; those are the two main benefits of running at least a pair of characters. But does the extra management ever cause you to miss a favourable move for either character, or overlook a penalty - a piece of text on a Location card like 'deduct one from each die rolled' for example? And do you think it matters?
I don't find myself making too many mistakes running two characters, at least not more than running one character. I do find myself making more mistakes and/or taking longer to play because of extra caution when I play three characters at once, not just in this but in other cooperative games. I can handle three but it's noticeably trickier than two.

So in my case the difference in how difficult it is for me to play two characters versus one character seems to be minimal, hence the reason I like using two characters. I can enjoy the benefits of it with no downside. Going to three or more characters though is where I start to feel the negative impact. (If I could solo Sentinels of the Multiverse using two heroes I would, but the game pretty is balanced for three heroes or more so I make do with three. I love soloing that game but I have to admit running three characters at once makes it take a lot longer for me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play two characters I can sit on the comfy sofa, for more I need to sit at the uncomfy table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Blanco
Spain
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play solo with two characters, because having played it with only one I feel that the number of decisions to be made and choices to be taken is more limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
I approve this message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Autism AcceptanceMicrobadge: Depression and Mental Health AwarenessMicrobadge: Cypher System fanMicrobadge: TransgenderMicrobadge: I play games with pride
I've played with 1,2 & 3.
1 by themselves felt unsatisfying, like you're missing a big chunk of the game (not talking about locations, more character interaction), 2's a lot better but I think I prefer 3.
for my next play I might try some one-off games with different party sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls