Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Patchistory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Many many rule questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
many thanks for your help !!!

i did not post questions about the heroes and wonders from page 16 because i would like to understand the game correctly before.
so once i have all the answers i will post them.


1/ page 2 reference plate : can you go above the 20 points of the track or are you blocked at 20 ?

2/ page 2 baselands : where on the cards is the L for Liberty and the E for Equality ?

3/ page 3 : prosperity cards in fact are like scoring cards, not very understandable if you read the rules...

4/ page 6 caution : they say the status mainly change during the Patching land and transfer stage => what is the transfer stage ??

5/ page 6 point 3 under caution : "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player" => can you explain what is meant here and has to be done ?

6/ page 6 point 5 under caution : if lack of resources, you may use the alternatives => what are the alternatives ?

7/ page 6-7 auction :
* is bidding mandatory ? perhaps there is nothing interesting for me and i don't want to bid on land cards
* what does that mean "all players must participate on their 1st bid (except for the 1st era, 1st round)" ??
* if i have no money i can collect 1 amount of money and 3 victory points to participate => what is 1 amount of money, is it 1 money ?
and the same here what if i don't want ?
* 1st era, 1st round bidding : what happens if the 1st player doesn't want to bid on the first card ? can he bid on later cards ?

8/ page 7 : Patching land cards : don't understand the 2 following sentences => could you explain them clearly please (even with the image example it is not clear) ?
* "water room can be patched on any original land cards, however, it can't be patched under any of the land cards"
* "you may not patch any additional cards neither on the upper nor the lower side of the originally patched water room.Water rooms can't be patched side by side."

9/ page 8 example : image is correct because it shows 2 politics, right ? (text indicates only 1 politics after patching)

10/ Diplomacy & Management :
* what do they mean with "after one run every player continue with the Management" ?
* can i do multiple political actions or only one ?
* can i do multiple management actions or only one ?
* why can't political status go below 1 ? (what if you have no politic in your kingdom)
* what does "0 expenditure on political action" mean ?

11/ page 9 Aid :
* support means here that you propose to give a mix of 3 resources to a player to a player connected with a trade route, right ?
* and what about allied trade routes ? does that mean that if you have an allied trade route you have also a normal trade route ?

12/ page 9 Threat :
* can i threaten an ally ?
* at the beginning it means i can only threaten the player on my left and on my right, is that correct ?
* obviously the threat action means that the threatened cannot refuse (or do something against) if he has lesser forces then the threatener, right ?

13/ page 10 political status you own - break alliances :
* what does mean "1 vote for each political force you own from the public storage" ?
* "workers should be removed to the land card" => which land card and where on the land card ?
* break alliance action means that you cannot take other political or management action during your turn ? what if i take this action as a last action (meaning i took other pol actions before) ?

14 / page 10 Reclamation :
* why would i transform 1 room into wasteland ?
* are there other possibilities to transform bigger rooms (more then 1x1) into wasteland ?

15/ page 10 Constructing building :
* "pay 2 minerals to the public storage and pay 3 minerals among industry, traffic and economy to construct military, political and cultural buildings" => what and how do i pay ? and to whom ?
* what is industry ?
* how do i draw other construction tiles ?
* can i have more then 4 construction tiles ?
* other sentence not clear : "if you get to patch reclamation, construction, or a land card on top of the originally patched construction tile, you should remove it from the game."

16/ page 11 Movement on the trade route :
* how do you place workers on trade routes or on allied trade routes ?
* what is meant with "you should use more than 1 but less than the toal traffic force you possess" ? => i choose how much i want but minimum 2 ? is it mandatory as it says you should ?
* what and where is the rest room ? (is it the Rest -> Return box at the bottom of a trade route ?)
* a worker on the rest room will be sent back to the baseland on the next turn => on which room of the baseland ?
* "during the movement, opposite kingdom may grow its power" => how can the opposite player grow his forces during movement ?
* it is mandatory to stop at the "return/preparation" box even if you have more moves ? you can't go directly to the war box ?

17/ page 12 Negotiation :
* rule says " if they have decided to forge an alliance, a trade route is constructed in between 2 kingdoms" => they mean an allied trade route, right ?
* if 2 thumbs are up, one of the player could really still say no to an alliance (and then nothing happens) ?

18/ page 12 War point 4 : "all the minerals used as a military force should be disposed" => go back to the public storage ?

19/ page 13 worker maintenance : if you need to pay 5 foods but only have 3 left => will i have to spend all the 3 foods and then pay the rest with victory points or can i in this case only spend victory points for the 5 foods ? (perhaps not a good move but just to know if it's possible)

20/ page 14 Vote point 6 : once used the prosperity cards never come back right ?

21/ page 14 top left : "during the 3-4 player game when 2 or more prosperity cards score the lowest votes, all the prosperity cards are ruled out"
* "ruled out" means not used for the scoring, right ?
* "all the prosperity cards" => does it mean the 4 cards or only the cards having the same and lowest score on votes ?

22/ page 15 The end of an era : "without the heroes and wonders, the resources cannot be added up as victory points" => what does that mean ?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kim junhyup
msg tools
designer
We really appriciate your questions.

Your detailed questions will gratify other people's curiosity.
We wanted to make the rulebook as good as possible, but we think it has not achieved as much as we want.
Instead, we will sincerely answer questions on the detail, so please understand.

Many thanks for your interest toward us.
If you can visit our booth on the Essen fair,
you might say "Hi, noda and rotten~!" to us.
We will give you a small present, the 15 promotion cards distributed only in Korea, to you.

Before this answer, some of the rules may be already revised on 1.00v.

1/ Page 2 - It is written, 'On the plate, you are allowed to record the number up to 20'

2/ Page 2 - You can't see the L or E icons on the rulebook images, but now you can see them on the game components(baselands).

3/ Page 3 - It is referred on Page 13, 'Vote' If you can, please tell us which of the details you are concerning about.

4/ Page 6 - It is written on Page 11, 'Transfer(X)' -> 'Movement'.

5/ Page 6 - You can notice after you play the game - some kind of reasons such as military actions(Threat or War)

6/ Page 6 - It is depend on what you have, but you don't have to worry about the lack of resources.

7/ Page 6-7

1) Bidding is mandatory. So all players must participate on their bid.
2) 1 amount of money = 1 money = 1 worth coin.
3) Paying 3 VP and collect 1 money to join the Auction is mandatory. You must participate the Auction.
4) Yes, he can bid on later cards if he don't want to.

8/ Page 7 - In this game, water room works as a penalty for patching land cards, some sort of obstacle for the patch.
So, after you patched the land card with a water room, no other cards can be overlapped on or under the water.
Even a same water room cannot be overlapped each other.

9/ Page 8 - Yes, the image is correct, and the text is misprinted.

10/ Page 9

1) The diplomacy takes turn clockwise, and the domestic politic is played simultaneously.
The player can choose whether he/she will perform the diplomacy or not.
After all players' decision(about diplomacy, one run), they all continue to the domestic politic step.
2,3) The political force(status) is used for activating diplomatical or domestic actions.
For example, if your kingdom owns 4 political force,
you can perform Aid using 2 pol. on diplomacy, and Reclamation using 2 pol. on domestic.
Or, you can also repeat the action if possible, like performing Aid twice using 4 pol.
The conclusion is, you can perform multiple actions if your political force can afford them.
4) That is actually the misprinted one. The political requirements on any action can't go below 1.
5) Some special bonus such as activity rooms(cf.Page 13 Production), or the abilities of heroes and wonders
can reduce the resource cost for the action.
For example, the initial cost for the Trade is (2/3/4) foods, and if you have (-1) bonus on Trade,
the cost for the Trade is discounted to (1/2/3). Even more, if you have multiple bonuses on Trade,
the cost for the Trade might be (0/0/0) : you can perform Trade using only political points, paying no foods.

11/ Page 9
1) Yes, you're right.
2) The allied trade route is also considered the trade route, so you can perform Aid on your ally.

12/ Page 9
1) No, you can't threat your ally.
2) More precisely, you can threaten the player on your left, since the initial trade route goes clockwise.
3) Yes, the threatened opponent cannot refuse.

13/ Page 10
1) On each round, you can use your political force, right?
But If you want to break the alliances, you have to give up all the actions in that round.
Instead, the unused political points are compensated by votes.
For example, if your kingdom owns 4 political force, and you want to break alliances with a country,
You have to give up all other actions except 'Break alliances' and obtain 4 votes to your property.
2) It is depend on your decision, you can choose where to take it back.
3) Yes, it is. If you want to break alliance, you must use this action at the very first of the diplomacy.
Breaking alliances is the powerful action in this game, so you have to give up other things in that round.

14/ Page 10
1) Because of the water room. As I told you, that the water room is an obstacle for patching land cards.
If you reclaim waters into wastelands, you can patch the land card with no penalty.
Furthermore, you can construct buildings on the reclaimed wasteland. Reclamation can help you a lot.
Of course you can reclaim other 1*1 sized room(such as general buildings),
but in most cases, player use Reclamation to remove water rooms.
2) You can't transform bigger rooms. Even a multi-reclamation cannot do that. Reclamation is only for 1*1 size.

15/ Page 10
1) Industry, Traffic, Economy building worth 2 minerals, and Military, Politic, Culture building worth 3 minerals.
The minerals used on this action are disposed to the public storage.
For example, if you have a culture tile(one of the construction tiles),
you pay 3 minerals to the public storage and construct it on your land.
2) Industry stands for Food production(The icon with crops).
Precisely there are 2 kinds in the Industry : Food and Mineral.
But when it comes to construction, you can only construct food industry buildings.
3,4) You always maintain 4 construction tiles all throughout the game.
Whenever you use tiles by performing Reclamation or Construct buildings,
take a tile from the deck to maintain 4 of them in your property.
5) For example, you use Reclamation on one of your water rooms on your land.
After that, you get a land card from the auction, and patched it on where the reclaimed room was.
In this situation, the tile is patched under the land card, so you should simply remove this covered tile.

16/ Page 11
1) Domestic Politics - Generals - Trade.
You can move workers from your territory into the starting space(start) of the trade routes by Trade.
2) That means, the worker cannot stay on any room of the trade routes for several rounds.
The worker must move when it is on the route. Of course, it can't move more than its traffic force.
3) Yes, the rest -> return box at the bottom is the rest room.
4) It is depend on your decision, you can choose where to take it back.
5) This is some kind of interesting situation.
For example, kingdom A sent a worker on a trade route to kingdom B (using Trade.)
B knows that A might attack(have a war) him, so he is going to prepare for it.
If A owns 2 traffic forces, the negotiation will be started after 4 more rounds.
So B can prepare for the war situation within 4 rounds.
6) Yes, it is. It is mandatory to stop at that box, and you can't go directly to the war box.

17/ Page 12
1) Yes, you're right.
2) Yes, you're right. Forming an alliance is not mandatory.

18/ Page 12 - Yes, it is.

19/ Page 13 - You must pay all the 3 foods and then pay the rest with victory points.

20/ Page 14 - Yes, you're right.

21/ Page 14
1) Yes, you're right.
2) It is only applied on the cards having the same and lowest score on votes.

22/ Page 15 - There might be some bonuses after the end of an era, and some of the heroes or wonders might have these.
For example, with the ability of 'the Wall street', you can get additional victory point per 3 money.
Without this bonuses, the resources you have cannot be added up as victory points.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hi Kim,

many thanks for your help !
i will analyze your answers this evening !

and many thanks for that =>
"Many thanks for your interest toward us.
If you can visit our booth on the Essen fair,
you might say "Hi, noda and rotten~!" to us.
We will give you a small present, the 15 promotion cards distributed only in Korea, to you."

i will come for sure !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i forgot :

1/ can we see the rules 1.00v ?
2/ are those rules already printed ?
3/ perhaps you could use my questions to clarify the rules (there are too many questions to do a FAQ)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm back :

New question :
23/ Can you patch a new land card under something or is it always over an already in play land card ?

Previous questions :
Q : 4/ page 6 caution : they say the status mainly change during the Patching land and transfer stage => what is the transfer stage ??
A : It is written on Page 11, 'Transfer(X)' -> 'Movement'
=> DID NOT FIND transfer on page 11 ?!?!

Q : 5/ page 6 point 3 under caution : "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player" => can you explain what is meant here and has to be done ?
A : You can notice after you play the game - some kind of reasons such as military actions (Threat or War)
=> STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player" ?

Q : 7/ * 1st era, 1st round bidding : what happens if the 1st player doesn't want to bid on the first card ? can he bid on later cards ?
A : Yes, he can bid on later cards if he don't want to.
=> What is the trick then if the first can bid on the first tile, etc. if he can wait and bid on whatever he wants after ? i prefer wait to see all the land cards…

Q : 8/ page 7 : Patching land cards : don't understand the 2 following sentences => could you explain them clearly please (even with the image example it is not clear) ?
* "water room can be patched on any original land cards, however, it can't be patched under any of the land cards"
* "you may not patch any additional cards neither on the upper nor the lower side of the originally patched water room.Water rooms can't be patched side by side."
A : In this game, water room works as a penalty for patching land cards, some sort of obstacle for the patch.
So, after you patched the land card with a water room, no other cards can be overlapped on or under the water.
Even a same water room cannot be overlapped each other.
=> Why did you make the rule not allowing to patch a 1x1 water room over another one ? (this would be really cool because you don’t know what is on the other side of the water until you buy a land card that you overlap)
=> So you confirm that you can never have 2x1 water rooms ?


Q : 12/ page 9 Threat :
* at the beginning it means i can only threaten the player on my left and on my right, is that correct ?
A : More precisely, you can threaten the player on your left, since the initial trade route goes clockwise.
=> Ok so the only player that can declare war at the beginning is always the player on our right ???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Bahr
Germany
Augsburg (near Munich)
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

since I'm also very interested in the game I will chime in to powerwis question thread and also pose my questions:


p9: Auction during the 1st era, 1st round:
If I understand correctly your anser to powerwis question, each player (except the last one) can pass on the card that he draws and rather bid on a later one. I could therefore imagine that it is highly unlikely that any player would bid on the card he initially drew, before actually all 4 cards have been drawn, so that all players can see what all the options are (i.e. if I were 1st player why should I bid on the card that I drew ( and why should other players possibly try to outbid me then) before either me or the others know what the other 3 initial cards will be???

Patching land cards: this needs some more clarification: does it mean that I can put a new land card either on top or below an existing one, or only on top of an existing one (with the exception of water room, which can only be patched on top of any original land card and not underneath one . The term "overlapping" you use would hint that you can only put the new card on top of the old one.

p9 diplomacy & management: I figure that the diplomacy phase takes exactly one round ("one run" should read "one round", as otherwise it's unclear.) - where each player can then use some or all of his political force points (=violet marker) and would then have to adjust the marker accordingly, correct?.
("Violet marker represents the political force you can use each round" would then be misleading as well

p9 Diplomacy - aid: The Tokens rejected by the fellow player are restored back - does this mean that if I choose Aid as an action and the chosen fellow player refuses my ressource tokens, I will get 2 Victory Points and keep the tokens?

p10: political status you own - break alliance: if I choose this action as my political action do I then also have to set back my violet marker on my reference plate according to the number of white wooden tokens I receive or not?

Diplomacy & management::in general it is unclear to me when the player has to pay in tokens (food, minerals, money) or by setting back the corresponding markers (yellow black, green). Can I assume it's always setting back the corresponding marker, unless the rules state that the player has to put something "back to the public storage"?


........further questions will follow (no more time writing now :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyun Choi
South Korea
Incheon
Rep. of KOREA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:

Q : 4/ page 6 caution : they say the status mainly change during the Patching land and transfer stage => what is the transfer stage ??
A : It is written on Page 11, 'Transfer(X)' -> 'Movement'
Transfer stage means Movement phase. During Movement phase, you can move your workers on your lands. If your worker arrive on your land with activity box, you gain benifit of activity box.


powerwis wrote:

Q : 5/ page 6 point 3 under caution : "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player" => can you explain what is meant here and has to be done ?
A : You can notice after you play the game - some kind of reasons such as military actions (Threat or War)
=> STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player" ?
The first player begins, then play proceeds in a clockwise.

powerwis wrote:

Q : 12/ page 9 Threat :
* at the beginning it means i can only threaten the player on my left and on my right, is that correct ?
A : More precisely, you can threaten the player on your left, since the initial trade route goes clockwise.
=> Ok so the only player that can declare war at the beginning is always the player on our right ???
During Domestic Politics phase, you can construct a trade route to other player you want to war. You can declare war to the player when there is your worker in the negotiation room on the trade route.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
summonschy wrote:

powerwis wrote:

Q : 5/ page 6 point 3 under caution : "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player" => can you explain what is meant here and has to be done ?
A : You can notice after you play the game - some kind of reasons such as military actions (Threat or War)
=> STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player" ?
The first player begins, then play proceeds in a clockwise.
thanks Hoyun !

for the question above, the thing is "what does the first player begin" ?
reminder of the rule => "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player"

could you give us an example of the steps concerning that game situation ?

i now have nearly all the answers, i hope Kim will still answer the rest of them and the last questions from Ferion
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are done with all the questions, can someone maybe consolidate all this into a FAQ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyun Choi
South Korea
Incheon
Rep. of KOREA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kivrous wrote:


1/ Page 2 - It is written, 'On the plate, you are allowed to record the number up to 20'
The sentence is incorrect. This is translation error. You can go above the 20 points of the track according to Korean rulebook.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
for Sakura, for Laurin, for the Universe!
badge
Tiggers don’t jump, they bounce!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or update the online version of the rulebook?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Coyote wrote:
Or update the online version of the rulebook?
Even better...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyun Choi
South Korea
Incheon
Rep. of KOREA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferion wrote:

p9: Auction during the 1st era, 1st round:
If I understand correctly your anser to powerwis question, each player (except the last one) can pass on the card that he draws and rather bid on a later one. I could therefore imagine that it is highly unlikely that any player would bid on the card he initially drew, before actually all 4 cards have been drawn, so that all players can see what all the options are (i.e. if I were 1st player why should I bid on the card that I drew ( and why should other players possibly try to outbid me then) before either me or the others know what the other 3 initial cards will be???
Example: Players with 3 money start. First player bid 3 money on the land card the player want and must have it because other players cannot bid 4 money on it.

ferion wrote:

Patching land cards: this needs some more clarification: does it mean that I can put a new land card either on top or below an existing one, or only on top of an existing one (with the exception of water room, which can only be patched on top of any original land card and not underneath one . The term "overlapping" you use would hint that you can only put the new card on top of the old one.
You are right. The term "overlapping" is unclear explaining patching land cards.

ferion wrote:

p9 diplomacy & management: I figure that the diplomacy phase takes exactly one round ("one run" should read "one round", as otherwise it's unclear.) - where each player can then use some or all of his political force points (=violet marker) and would then have to adjust the marker accordingly, correct?.
("Violet marker represents the political force you can use each round" would then be misleading as well
The Diplomacy begins with the starting player and proceeds to the left(clockwise). After all player end diplomacy, every player simultaneously continue on with the Management(Domestic Politics).
"Violet marker represents the political force you can use each round" is correct. Political force is used and restored next round.

ferion wrote:

p9 Diplomacy - aid: The Tokens rejected by the fellow player are restored back - does this mean that if I choose Aid as an action and the chosen fellow player refuses my ressource tokens, I will get 2 Victory Points and keep the tokens?
Correct.

ferion wrote:

p10: political status you own - break alliance: if I choose this action as my political action do I then also have to set back my violet marker on my reference plate according to the number of white wooden tokens I receive or not?
If you choose Break Alliance as your political action, Political force you own is all used. Break alliance require all political force you own.

ferion wrote:

Diplomacy & management::in general it is unclear to me when the player has to pay in tokens (food, minerals, money) or by setting back the corresponding markers (yellow black, green). Can I assume it's always setting back the corresponding marker, unless the rules state that the player has to put something "back to the public storage"?
Each player gets resource tokens (food, mineral, money) from the public storage during Production phase. The amount gained is indicated by the position of their status markers on Reference Plate.
The position of their status markers on Reference Plate is only adjusted by the production status of the General/Special building, Heroes, and the Wonders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim ??

powerwis wrote:
i'm back :

New question :
23/ Can you patch a new land card under something or is it always over an already in play land card ?

Previous questions :
Q : 4/ page 6 caution : they say the status mainly change during the Patching land and transfer stage => what is the transfer stage ??
A : It is written on Page 11, 'Transfer(X)' -> 'Movement'
=> DID NOT FIND transfer on page 11 ?!?!

Q : 5/ page 6 point 3 under caution : "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player" => can you explain what is meant here and has to be done ?
A : You can notice after you play the game - some kind of reasons such as military actions (Threat or War)
=> STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player" ?

Q : 7/ * 1st era, 1st round bidding : what happens if the 1st player doesn't want to bid on the first card ? can he bid on later cards ?
A : Yes, he can bid on later cards if he don't want to.
=> What is the trick then if the first can bid on the first tile, etc. if he can wait and bid on whatever he wants after ? i prefer wait to see all the land cards…

Q : 8/ page 7 : Patching land cards : don't understand the 2 following sentences => could you explain them clearly please (even with the image example it is not clear) ?
* "water room can be patched on any original land cards, however, it can't be patched under any of the land cards"
* "you may not patch any additional cards neither on the upper nor the lower side of the originally patched water room.Water rooms can't be patched side by side."
A : In this game, water room works as a penalty for patching land cards, some sort of obstacle for the patch.
So, after you patched the land card with a water room, no other cards can be overlapped on or under the water.
Even a same water room cannot be overlapped each other.
=> Why did you make the rule not allowing to patch a 1x1 water room over another one ? (this would be really cool because you don’t know what is on the other side of the water until you buy a land card that you overlap)
=> So you confirm that you can never have 2x1 water rooms ?


Q : 12/ page 9 Threat :
* at the beginning it means i can only threaten the player on my left and on my right, is that correct ?
A : More precisely, you can threaten the player on your left, since the initial trade route goes clockwise.
=> Ok so the only player that can declare war at the beginning is always the player on our right ???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoyun ?

powerwis wrote:
summonschy wrote:

powerwis wrote:

Q : 5/ page 6 point 3 under caution : "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player" => can you explain what is meant here and has to be done ?
A : You can notice after you play the game - some kind of reasons such as military actions (Threat or War)
=> STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player" ?
The first player begins, then play proceeds in a clockwise.
thanks Hoyun !

for the question above, the thing is "what does the first player begin" ?
reminder of the rule => "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player"

could you give us an example of the steps concerning that game situation ?

i now have nearly all the answers, i hope Kim will still answer the rest of them and the last questions from Ferion
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyun Choi
South Korea
Incheon
Rep. of KOREA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, powerwis.

I'm sorry. I take a long time to write English sentence. In recently, a lot of work is placed to me. I cannot afford to answer your question. I have some free time next week.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyun Choi
South Korea
Incheon
Rep. of KOREA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis.

Quote:
for the question above, the thing is "what does the first player begin" ?
reminder of the rule => "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player"

could you give us an example of the steps concerning that game situation ?
It is hard for me to explain this situation detailed. Briefly, in general, it happen for military forces because Defender can use shields but Attacker not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeon-Min Jung
South Korea
seoul
Sadang
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:
i'm back :

New question :
23/ Can you patch a new land card under something or is it always over an already in play land card ?

Previous questions :
Q : 4/ page 6 caution : they say the status mainly change during the Patching land and transfer stage => what is the transfer stage ??
A : It is written on Page 11, 'Transfer(X)' -> 'Movement'
=> DID NOT FIND transfer on page 11 ?!?!

Q : 5/ page 6 point 3 under caution : "during the game there is a chance of facing a conflict while taking turns. in such cases, pause the game and continue with the original starting player" => can you explain what is meant here and has to be done ?
A : You can notice after you play the game - some kind of reasons such as military actions (Threat or War)
=> STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player" ?

Q : 7/ * 1st era, 1st round bidding : what happens if the 1st player doesn't want to bid on the first card ? can he bid on later cards ?
A : Yes, he can bid on later cards if he don't want to.
=> What is the trick then if the first can bid on the first tile, etc. if he can wait and bid on whatever he wants after ? i prefer wait to see all the land cards…

Q : 8/ page 7 : Patching land cards : don't understand the 2 following sentences => could you explain them clearly please (even with the image example it is not clear) ?
* "water room can be patched on any original land cards, however, it can't be patched under any of the land cards"
* "you may not patch any additional cards neither on the upper nor the lower side of the originally patched water room.Water rooms can't be patched side by side."
A : In this game, water room works as a penalty for patching land cards, some sort of obstacle for the patch.
So, after you patched the land card with a water room, no other cards can be overlapped on or under the water.
Even a same water room cannot be overlapped each other.
=> Why did you make the rule not allowing to patch a 1x1 water room over another one ? (this would be really cool because you don’t know what is on the other side of the water until you buy a land card that you overlap)
=> So you confirm that you can never have 2x1 water rooms ?


Q : 12/ page 9 Threat :
* at the beginning it means i can only threaten the player on my left and on my right, is that correct ?
A : More precisely, you can threaten the player on your left, since the initial trade route goes clockwise.
=> Ok so the only player that can declare war at the beginning is always the player on our right ???
I am truly sorry for the late reply,
and here is an answer for your questions.
We really appreciate Hoyun's answer, he helped you a lot instead of us.


The answer for the new question,

"Can you patch a new land card under something or is it always over an already in play land card ?"
-> You can patch a new land card both under and over the land cards.


The answer for the previous questions,

"DID NOT FIND transfer on page 11 ?!?!"
-> At first, we used the expression 'Transfer' on moving workers.
But after the revision, we changed the word into 'Movement'. It was one of the typing errors.

"STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player"?"
-> If the game faced on a conflict taking turns, pause the game.
Then, the first player begins, and play proceeds in a clockwise.
For example, in the domestic politics phase, players simultaneously play their own actions.
Because of this, some player might need a lot of time performing his/her action.
This delay brings the problem - occasionally players proceed the different phase to each other.
To avoid this situation, all players pause the game, and adjust the play so that all players do the same phase.

"What is the trick then if the first can bid on the first card, etc.
if he can wait and bid on whatever he wants after ? i prefer wait to see all the land cards"
-> You're right. the first player can bid on the first card, or wait to see all the land cards revealed.
If you decide to bid on the first card, and you see that other cards are better than what you've bid on,
you have to wait for other player to bid on the same card with your choice if you want to get a chance to bid on the others.
(That's because, if you are the only bidder on the card,
you can't move the money before at least 1 other player bid on the same card with your choice.)
If you decide to wait to see all the land cards, you should wait turns till all the cards are revealed.

"Why did you make the rule not allowing to patch a 1x1 water room over another one ?"
-> Since the water room is the obstacle, overlapping water over another one cannot ensure the fairness in our game.
The game's subtitle is 'the history of sacrifice', and it means that you have to lose lots of things while developing your kingdom.
If you can't patch a water over another, you will be stuck in an inevitable situation(you have to patch the card on other buildings).
That was what we intend to do - water is an obstacle for patching the cards.

"So you confirm that you can never have 2x1 water rooms ?"
-> There is only 1x1 sized water room in the land cards, so you don't have to worry about it.

"So the only player that can declare war at the beginning is always the player on our right ???"
-> You're right, the only player that can declare war to you at the beginning is on your right.


Again, sorry for the late answers. Your question is invaluable for others who also wanted to know about our game.
Soon, we will reorganize all the questions into Q & A and update them on this website.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeon-Min Jung
South Korea
seoul
Sadang
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferion wrote:
Hi,

since I'm also very interested in the game I will chime in to powerwis question thread and also pose my questions:


p9: Auction during the 1st era, 1st round:
If I understand correctly your anser to powerwis question, each player (except the last one) can pass on the card that he draws and rather bid on a later one. I could therefore imagine that it is highly unlikely that any player would bid on the card he initially drew, before actually all 4 cards have been drawn, so that all players can see what all the options are (i.e. if I were 1st player why should I bid on the card that I drew ( and why should other players possibly try to outbid me then) before either me or the others know what the other 3 initial cards will be???

Patching land cards: this needs some more clarification: does it mean that I can put a new land card either on top or below an existing one, or only on top of an existing one (with the exception of water room, which can only be patched on top of any original land card and not underneath one . The term "overlapping" you use would hint that you can only put the new card on top of the old one.

p9 diplomacy & management: I figure that the diplomacy phase takes exactly one round ("one run" should read "one round", as otherwise it's unclear.) - where each player can then use some or all of his political force points (=violet marker) and would then have to adjust the marker accordingly, correct?.
("Violet marker represents the political force you can use each round" would then be misleading as well

p9 Diplomacy - aid: The Tokens rejected by the fellow player are restored back - does this mean that if I choose Aid as an action and the chosen fellow player refuses my ressource tokens, I will get 2 Victory Points and keep the tokens?

p10: political status you own - break alliance: if I choose this action as my political action do I then also have to set back my violet marker on my reference plate according to the number of white wooden tokens I receive or not?

Diplomacy & management::in general it is unclear to me when the player has to pay in tokens (food, minerals, money) or by setting back the corresponding markers (yellow black, green). Can I assume it's always setting back the corresponding marker, unless the rules state that the player has to put something "back to the public storage"?


........further questions will follow (no more time writing now :-)

We really appriciate your questions.
I'll tell you the detail answers to your questions.
I hope it might help you understand our game.

Answer for Q1.
All players start with 3 money. So, if the previous player bid 3 money on a card,
next players can't outbid on it. That will bring about an unfair results.
So we decided to put an order of this auction only on the 1st era, 1st round.

Answer for Q2.
The term 'overlapping' is a little misleading. I'm sorry if that confuses you.
You can put a new land card both on top and below an existing one.
The water room can only be patched on top, and not underneath.

Answer for Q3.
The term 'run' we used stands for each player's proceeding a turn.
In the Diplomacy, it starts with the first player(starting player) and proceeds clockwise.
After a 'run'(=after all player end their diplomatic actions), every player simultaneously
continue on with the Domestic politics. In this step, you can use the left over political points after the Diplomacy.
You can simply count the point you used on each round, or if you are confused,
you can adjust the marker when you perform actions using political points.
That's because you'll get new political points on the next round anyway.

(For example, your political force is 5. You used all of them, and adjust the marker from 5 to 0.
Your marker will be re-adjusted from 0 to 5 at the next round anyway,
except there was no extra 'book icons(political force)' on your kingdom.
Or simply, you can just remember "I used 5 points on this round", then you don't have to adjust your marker.
It is depend on your play-style, but it won't disturb you.)

Answer for Q4.
Yes, you're right.

Answer for Q5.
It is quite similar to the answer for Q3. For example, your political force is 5, and you choose to break the alliances,
the allied trade route between you and the opponent is removed out.
and you'll get 5 votes(white wood tokens) according to the number of your political force.

Answer for Q6.
In most cases in the Domestic politics, the player have to pay resources in tokens.
Whether the text 'back to the public storage' is written or not, you'll use resources by paying them into that storage.





1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bymitch wrote:

"STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player"?"
-> If the game faced on a conflict taking turns, pause the game.
Then, the first player begins, and play proceeds in a clockwise.
For example, in the domestic politics phase, players simultaneously play their own actions.
Because of this, some player might need a lot of time performing his/her action.
This delay brings the problem - occasionally players proceed the different phase to each other.
To avoid this situation, all players pause the game, and adjust the play so that all players do the same phase.

"What is the trick then if the first can bid on the first card, etc.
if he can wait and bid on whatever he wants after ? i prefer wait to see all the land cards"
-> You're right. the first player can bid on the first card, or wait to see all the land cards revealed.
If you decide to bid on the first card, and you see that other cards are better than what you've bid on,
you have to wait for other player to bid on the same card with your choice if you want to get a chance to bid on the others.
(That's because, if you are the only bidder on the card,
you can't move the money before at least 1 other player bid on the same card with your choice.)
If you decide to wait to see all the land cards, you should wait turns till all the cards are revealed.
thanks again Yeon, but still these 2 answers are unclear to me.

* Conflict here doesn't mean "war" ??? it seems you are talking about a problem between players, is that right ?
so what could happen between players => can you give us a real example of play of what and when we should pause the game ?

* so the first player can wait that all cards have been revealed but that means that if he doesn't bid on the first card then he will be last to bid if the 3 next players have bid on cards ?
and if the 3 first players don't bid on their turns then the 4th player will be the first to bid and has the choice between 4 land cards. and if he bids 3 on a land card then he is sure to get it as he cannot be outbid because everyone else only have 3 money each.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeon-Min Jung
South Korea
seoul
Sadang
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:
bymitch wrote:

"STILL Don’t understand the "pause thing and the continue with the original player"?"
-> If the game faced on a conflict taking turns, pause the game.
Then, the first player begins, and play proceeds in a clockwise.
For example, in the domestic politics phase, players simultaneously play their own actions.
Because of this, some player might need a lot of time performing his/her action.
This delay brings the problem - occasionally players proceed the different phase to each other.
To avoid this situation, all players pause the game, and adjust the play so that all players do the same phase.

"What is the trick then if the first can bid on the first card, etc.
if he can wait and bid on whatever he wants after ? i prefer wait to see all the land cards"
-> You're right. the first player can bid on the first card, or wait to see all the land cards revealed.
If you decide to bid on the first card, and you see that other cards are better than what you've bid on,
you have to wait for other player to bid on the same card with your choice if you want to get a chance to bid on the others.
(That's because, if you are the only bidder on the card,
you can't move the money before at least 1 other player bid on the same card with your choice.)
If you decide to wait to see all the land cards, you should wait turns till all the cards are revealed.
thanks again Yeon, but still these 2 answers are unclear to me.

* Conflict here doesn't mean "war" ??? it seems you are talking about a problem between players, is that right ?
so what could happen between players => can you give us a real example of play of what and when we should pause the game ?

* so the first player can wait that all cards have been revealed but that means that if doesn't bid on the first card then he will be last to bid if the 3 next players have bid on cards ?
and if the 3 first players don't bid on their turns that the 4th player will be the first to bid and has the choice between 4 land cards. and if he bids 3 on a land card then he is sure to get it as he cannot be outbid because everyone only have 3 money.



Here are the answers for the unclear thing you want to know.

1. Yes, In this sentence, we used 'conflict' as 'a rule problem between players', not a versus concept.
The example of the conflict is the same as what we already answered.
In the domestic politics phase, players simultaneously play their own actions.
Because of this, some player might need a lot of time performing his/her action.
This delay brings the problem - i.e. others are proceeding the movement phase, while I am proceeding the domestic yet.
To avoid this situation, all players pause the game, and adjust the play so that all players do the same phase.

2. Yes, you're right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
great, many many thanks Yeon !

good news, i don't have any questions anymore :-)
i think every rule is clear now (for me at least).
i hope it also helped other BGG friends.

will you be at Essen ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I'm not the only one. That's the thread I was looking for. The video did help a little bit though, but even with it, the rulebook is barely understandable. Someone should give it a rewrite.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls