Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fall 1939. Med. Britain was down to 1 BRP after offensive purchase so I was sure she couldn’t declare on Italy nor send much to sea.
Italy failed in her bribery of Franco, stayed in port to save a little money, reinforced Libya with 2 weak infantry and rebased 5 TAC from Yugoslavia to Taranto and Genoa after they'd aided in the struggle for Belgrade. 7 British corps streamed through Egypt towards the Libyan border. That’s the biggest force I’ve ever seen there in 1939, fortunately I can ignore it for this turn.

West. Germany declared on Benelux.
The iron ore route through the Baltic was interdicted for 4 BRP. France and Britain strategically redeployed a paltry 4 corps to Belgium and Holland. Britain could send no more as she’d started 3 corps in Palestine and had to guard against invasion. The British used their landing craft as transports so I knew there wouldn’t be any amphibious assault this season. France passed all 3 of her offensives which might seem cowardly but maintained the strength of the front line for the coming blow.

8 panzers and 2 infantry crashed into the allied front from Sedan to the North Sea. 5 of the 6 allied corps died in place only the French armour survived and it was badly damaged. The panzers fanned out. 25 TAC joined the follow through which reached the gates of Paris. Allied TAC was notable by its absence and my losses were light compared to the devastation wreaked on the 7 British and French corps. Only the crippled British 30th armoured stumbled back to Antwerp from the carnage. Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands surrendered and were pillaged for 11BRP. It would have been twice as much but Britain had already taken the lion's share.

France and Britain carried out extensive strategic bombing with SAC and TAC. Kiel, Wilhelmshaven, Frankfurt, Essen, Leipzig and Berlin all received unwelcome visitors. Now his dice were on fire and I suffered 18 hits. 10 TAC crossed the English channel to Calais which helped France passed her surrender roll.* France moved a fleet to Scapa for raiding next turn. Britain’s carriers searched in vain for the German fleet in Wilhelmshaven but they’d been sold off and the sailor’s transferred to the army. 30th corps and WDF were repaired.

East. Hungary became client for Slovakia and Budapest gained a German garrison. Poland ringed her capital but the non-river approach was not screened from regular combat.
I went in with a mere 5 TAC, 4 panzers and a reduced para. Everything went according to plan, I broke through the outer ring from the south and Warsaw fell in exploitation. Germany gained another 6 BRP from the partition of Poland.

Italy declared on Yugoslavia. His line in Slovenia split my army in 2.
The troops in Zara went straight for Belgrade but were repelled without loss whilst those in Trieste overcame his line in Slovenia. Exploitation into the capital caused only 2 hits, not enough to force a retreat so the Yugoslavs survive, at least until winter.

The Soviet Union set up a strong defensive line along Poland’s border lest the political chit was no event and Germany came his way. He also thought about attacking Poland himself if Germany ignored it even though that would entail declaring on France. This left him with little facing Romania however so he didn’t declare this turn and shifted armour and TAC south after we pulled the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. He annexed the Baltic States.

Winter 1939. Med. Spain allied with Italy.
Italy declared on France and Britain countered. France rebuilt some of her losses and SRd them to Morocco. The Italian surface fleet raided for 9BRP. Tobruk put up little resistance and the British 8th army advanced through Cyrenica. Next turn they could take Tripoli so I really will have to do something about it then, maybe some panzers will be available by then or I could cut them off with an amphibious assault using armour. Italian marines landed in Algiers unopposed.

West. Britain’s landing craft were apparent on their own in Portsmouth so he won’t be landing anywhere this turn either. Panzers next to Paris blocked US aid and strikes crippled French industry. After raiding in the North Atlantic by Italy’s subs both the western allies were on –BRP. Germany lost 10 BRP on the iron ore route in the Norwegian sea to a mixture of 36 surface and 8 sub. She reinforced her rear areas with 4 panzers from Poland.

France temporarily liberated Luxembourg at the cost of weakening a fort. Her TAC were intercepted attempting to bomb Frankfurt and caused little harm.

Without a front line the battle for France devolved into a series of pockets. The weakened fort duly fell to armour and infantry, Paris was encircled and weakened and the channel ports squeezed though a garrison under GHQ stood firm. Exploitation saw the channel ports, Marseilles and Paris all occupied. 29 German TAC rebased to the North Sea coast.

British TAC were forced to defend their own base in Calais so only his SAC went strategic bombing. France had an impossible surrender roll** and accepted peace with honour.

East. Garrisons and infantry bellied up to the Nazi side of the inter-Polish border.

Mussolini redoubled his efforts in Yugoslavia which quickly capitulated netting Italy 4 BRP. Afterwards another 5 TAC rebased to the Mediterranean. The Banat will be useful diplomatic currency for Romania or Hungary.

Russia declared on Romania. The weather funnelled her drive into a triple layered defence. The Romanian front line was smashed to smithereens by a complex series of regular attacks and exploitations. The 2nd line was penetrated but the 3rd line held. The Romanians foolishly counterattacked and failed miserably. Romania survives the turn and may well be saved by becoming a German ally.

Spring 1940. Churchill decides that Norway should be invaded making her a German ally. Italy has 99 BRP, UK 123, Soviet Union 123 and Germany 229.

Britain and Russia admitted defeat. Of course I was keen to play on for the fun of invading first Britain and then the USSR. Thanks to Jon (Soviet Union) and James (France & Britain) for a good game.

*Less than or equal to 5 on 2D6 for Belgium and Netherlands conquered, troops next to Paris, Sedan lost and 10 British TAC.

** Less than or equal to 15 on 2D6, yes that’s impossible, for Belgium and Netherlands, Sedan, a fort, troops next to Paris, Paris, Sedan, Marseilles, Lyons and 10 British TAC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted you to know that your consistent stream of session reports inspired me to finally break out my unpunched game with Rumors of War and Strategy Guide extras. I also have the deluxe map. It is a pretty game and much more playable than I thought it would be. I'm undecided on whether I like the Hit dice system vs the CRT. Ive always been a CRT guy. Ive only finished the Fall '39 turn and Poland survived. Italy declared on Greece and now seems to have their hands full.

Anyway just wanted you to know the effects of your sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Know where you're coming from Tom. Been playing 3R since the 70s. Love the counters and map in JP3R; some of the rule changes are very attractive. But every time I try to playtest it and roll 4-6 dice for a combat, it just feels wrong somehow. Yet, examples like the one above have almost got me ready to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll 6 dice for an attack? James rolled 48 for raiding in the Norwegian Sea alone. It wasn't very economical with his force of course, he did 18 hits but only 10 counted.

Buckets of dice brings sorrow and joy at different times than Avalon Hill's CRT. One Dutch infantry might hold back a panzergruppe. 2 Italian infantry could completely overwhelm Western Desert Force.

I like the chit pull activation, territorial bribes and political chits too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls