11 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Long haul 10 point bonus worth 20 points in 2-player game??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomid Ælsop
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have been struggling to explain my belief that the 10 point bonus is actually worth 20 points. If you don't receive it, then your opponent will, resulting in a net difference of 20 points (excluding the rare occasions when the bonus is shared). Am I wrong, or am I unable to explain myself? It's a lot like soccer games being called 6-pointers, when they involve two teams who are close to each other in the battle to survive relegation.

When there are more than 2 players it is more complicated, since the person who receives the bonus might not be a contender for the overall victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you're right, but technically (on scoring board) its just 10 points. And there are people who just can't think in such categories at all. So better stick to 10 point explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The person gaining the bonus goes up by 10 points, whereas the scores of those not getting the bonus remain the same. So the net difference is 10 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you are saying. It is a 20-point swing but I think it gets confusing if you start saying the bonus is worth 20-points. The next bloke to turn up will think "Wow! That's a 40-point swing!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomid Ælsop
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's the last turn of the game and you have a choice:

1. Put down 8 carriages to score 21 points, but forfeiting the long haul bonus to your opponent. (net gain of 11)

2. Put down 2 carriages to score 2 points, extending your longest unbroken chain enough for you to win the bonus. (net gain of 12)

Ordinarily, you might think that scoring 21 points is better than only scoring 2. It looks to be about 19 points better, but the bonus changes it by 20. 21 becomes 11, and 2 becomes 12.

So, in this case, 2 points is 1 point better than 21, not 19 worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bean-Boy wrote:
The person gaining the bonus goes up by 10 points, whereas the scores of those not getting the bonus remain the same. So the net difference is 10 points.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if English "net" is equivalent to Swedish "netto" (meaning something like totally, completely, when all aspects are included), the net difference in a 2 player game is 20 points...

(I lead 122-120, which is a 2-point lead. I get the bonus and win 132-120, which is a 12 point win for me. Or, you get the bonus and I lose 122-130, which is an 8 point loss for me. Net difference is 12-(-8)=20.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for nothing, but any point you score can be considered a swing. I put 1 train down for one point. It's now 1-0. If the opponent did it first it would be 0-1. 2 points swing.

Just stick to it being worth 10 points. The swing is implied in all games that keep score like TTR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A touchdown is now worth 14 points? Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:
A touchdown is now worth 14 points? Nice!

A touchdown is worth a 14 point swing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only calculate the "swing" amount to be double because it's an either/or situation: the 10 points will go to somebody, and if you don't get them, your opponent will. It doesn't work for just plain old claiming routes (or touchdowns for that matter) because in those cases, your failure to secure those points does not imply that your opponent will get them instead.

If you want to muddy the waters, consider that there can be a tie for the longest route, in which case both players score the 10 points (a net zero gain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee Rose-Perry
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
St Tomid wrote:
It's the last turn of the game and you have a choice:

1. Put down 8 carriages to score 21 points, but forfeiting the long haul bonus to your opponent. (net gain of 11)

While I understand what you are trying to illustrate this example is off.

In the last turn of the game if you have 8 trains left you probably don't have the longest route.
Also, the 8 carriage track is probably already taken.
(Which means that person who took it is going out before you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.