Subject: What kind of game this is? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvester Stachovicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Catholic - Sacred HeartMicrobadge: Brain burner fanMicrobadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: Medieval History fan
I've read the rules and have some questions.

Is it as chaotic as it seems to be?
Is there a space for any strategy? Or just tactics?
Is it serious and manageble chaos management game or funny beer and pretzels filler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maman Jean-Michel
France
Paris
Ile-de France
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Hello,

Sure, it's a little chaotic. Because, even if all players have the same deck of cards, the cards do not come in the same order.
I think "serious ans manageable chaos management game" is right. With what the cards give you, you have to take the right decisions. And to choose what aspects of the game you want to balance with Buildings and Advantages.
For exemple, the Trade Building protects you again the imprevisible lack of some Resource. If you combine it with ONE production level 2, you'll never go down one Age of Evolution.
In fact, you can plan the way you will drive your Civilization. For exemple, chosse to invest in Population and to do not go very high in Evolution. Or stay with a little population, have an easy evolution, try to get all the Discovery Cards, and grow in Population near the end (in this case, use the Prestige to save your Victory Points).
You can also choose to jump the Ages of Evolution by spending Science. Good idea, but you will loose Discovery Cards, and also you will not be really able to invest, because you'll have to satisfy very soon multiple needs of your population.
We'll soon say more on the website, giving tips. But it will be a kind of "spoiling" : in S-Evolution, there's a strict order behind the apparent chaos. Find it yourself, and you'll win...
For exemple, anyone can tell how to know the color of the Discovery Card of another player ?
So, S-Evolution is not a straight management exercise, not a mathematical test, but beer and pretzels, no ! Pretzels, maybe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AD&D fan (2nd edition)Microbadge: Biomimetics fan - learning from Nature's designs and applying it in human technologies!Microbadge: EternityMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Medical Professional
Sounds intéressant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls