Mind Cape
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thematically, how exactly do thieves' tools help defeat a skeleton horde or ambush skirmishes? I think using this card to defeat a barrier should be qualified by trait the way the crowbar's use is restricted to barriers having the lock or obstacle traits. Is anyone else bothered by this? I usually overlook lapses in theme, but since this game relies on it so heavily, this card really stands out as not fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jones
United States
Bisbee
Arizona
flag msg tools
If it bothers you, you can imagine that the character is using the tools in "reverse." Rather than picking a lock, he or she is using the tools to lock a door. Someone sees a bunch of skeletons, then quickly slams the door shut and locks it before they animate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celowin wrote:
If it bothers you, you can imagine that the character is using the tools in "reverse." Rather than picking a lock, he or she is using the tools to lock a door. Someone sees a bunch of skeletons, then quickly slams the door shut and locks it before they animate.

This actually happened in a DnD game I was in once. Everyone was freaking out because there was an undead army behind a door. One of our party members calmly says "I close and lock the door". Simple, but effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever seen the wonderful things The Doctor can do with his sonic screwdriver (glorified sci-fi thieves' tools)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonna be dumb now but i thought skeleton hoard and ambush just happen?

they don't have a check do they? skeleton doesn't i think i'm sure...

i summarized no check to defeat? so not defetable? so happen always, only evade would work?

a bit like damage and combat damaged, armor works on 1 not the other,.

i think the tools say defeat a barrier card,

happy to be wrong normally am,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush does have a check. Skeleton Horde does not. I don't think you can use thieve's tools on Skeleton Horde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mind Cape
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, my mistake. Ambush is the one I remember running into. I skimmed through the rest of the barriers looking for another creature-based example when I saw Skeleton Horde and neglected to read it.

I find it funny that Crowbar, which could much more feasibly be used as a weapon, is not usable against Ambush, yet Thieves' Tools is. You try attacking these guys with a torsion wrench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
We get a little liberal with the different types of tools that may be in the pack when we use them to defeat the shopkeeper's daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
We get a little liberal with the different types of tools that may be in the pack when we use them to defeat the shopkeeper's daughter.

Kinky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:

I've thought about houseruling that the Potion of Ruggedness automatically defeats her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.