Hide
10 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Laws rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
8th Doctor
msg tools
Has anyone made their own laws that they think work well? I'm interested in using new, potentially more powerful ones.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arandor .
Netherlands
Helmond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor (LAW).

Elect Player.

The elected player wins the game.

Powerful enough for you? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/Cards/PoliticalCards.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Imperial fanMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Copper Image UploaderMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I don't think I've ever had this one actually come up in play. It is in my set though:

Second New
Moscow Treaty
(LAW)

"Limit the weapons of War."

For: Each player removes two Command Ground Forces from their reinforcements. They remove one Dreadnaught. There can not be more than one PDS on a planet. Remove units from the board if required.

Against: Each player removes one War Sun from their reinforcements. If both are in play remove one from the board.

It's actually meant to have this card put out as an active law at the start of the game:

New Moscow Treaty
(Law)

"The Dark ages are ending. Let us rebuild the Galaxy."

At Start: All players are limited to building only their plastic limit except for fighters.
There can only be two PDS on each planet.
There can only be twelve Ground Force Groups on planets, carriers, war suns or in a Fleet’s Stasis Capsules.
If Removed, return to Proposed agendas. A vote for this reactivate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Imperial fanMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Copper Image UploaderMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I might point out that I replaced my Ground Force flag pieces with Risk 2210 MOD 3.0 pieces pretty much the day I bought TI3, and use the MOD 1.0 instead of supplement tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8th Doctor
msg tools
Thanks guys. The reason I ask is that when I play this game (which isn't that often) we often seem to draw laws that nobody really cares about. I don't want to pass a law making it more difficult to buy GF, for example, since I might want to purchase them myself later. So many of them seem difficult to see whether they would benefit you later, so I personally find the laws that cause a specific good thing or a specific bad thing to another player to be more interesting in the game. However, I know the political cards are an important part of the game which the expansions added representatives and other mechanics to.
So, what kinds of cards do you like and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Who Audio wrote:
Thanks guys. The reason I ask is that when I play this game (which isn't that often) we often seem to draw laws that nobody really cares about. I don't want to pass a law making it more difficult to buy GF, for example, since I might want to purchase them myself later. So many of them seem difficult to see whether they would benefit you later, so I personally find the laws that cause a specific good thing or a specific bad thing to another player to be more interesting in the game. However, I know the political cards are an important part of the game which the expansions added representatives and other mechanics to.
So, what kinds of cards do you like and why?
The political game is one of the most varianted aspects of the game, I'd reckon. Perhaps the simplest way to get rid of the boring agendas is to remove them from the deck entirely. You can find a helpful list in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/674489/removing-politica...

Another way to approach the issue is to have a some kind of open agenda system. The Twilight Council rules (Shattered Ascension ruleset, page 7) can allow up to 4 agendas (!) be up for vote on any given round. That gives the Assembly holder lots of power, and the game can change drastically with several Laws in effect. Using Twilight Council requires the adoption of lots of extra rules, though, which puts off some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Dr Who Audio wrote:
Thanks guys. The reason I ask is that when I play this game (which isn't that often) we often seem to draw laws that nobody really cares about. I don't want to pass a law making it more difficult to buy GF, for example, since I might want to purchase them myself later.
This changes a bit when one knows the game better. The clever player who sees an opportunity later (suppose one is sure of holding Hope's End? of taking Daxcive Animators? Of avoiding the GF techs and relying as much as possible on MUs?) can gain an advantage with a law like this while everyone else is asleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@magicoctopus
Can you post a link to the Shattered Ascension ruleset? I may be stupid, but I can't find the rules, just the Shattered Ascension forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akinfantryman wrote:
@magicoctopus
Can you post a link to the Shattered Ascension ruleset? I may be stupid, but I can't find the rules, just the Shattered Ascension forums.
The site holding all SA stuff:
http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/

The rules are in the first link:
http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/SA4.2beta.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls