Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lots of Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oxmond
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

1.
Prison:steal a building
Where should the material under the stolen building go?

2.
Watch Post:Tear down your own complete building.
What is going to happen if I tear down a stolen building by Prison?

3.
Tribunal: draw a joke after thinking
School:think as many time as your influence
Can I can draw more than one joker by the "tribunal+school" combo?

4.
Palace:Play more cards to do more actions
Can I discard 2 cards of the same color as joker when I use palace?

5.
Forum Romanum:all kinds of material+client, win
Can I build this first, and reach the win condition later?

6.
Stairway:Move one material to opp's complete building
(1)
Some building change the material need for that building.
Does that also affect the Stairway?
(2)
How stairway work with watch post and/or prison?

I have black edition. I read through the rule but could not find what I want to know. I really need you guys' help. Thank you!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Goa fanMicrobadge: Macao fanMicrobadge: Lorenzo il Magnifico fanMicrobadge: Princes of Florence fan
3. I would think yes. Sounds very powerfull. But I'm not totally sure.

5. Yes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oxmond wrote:
1.
Prison:steal a building
Where should the material under the stolen building go?
It stays with the building.

oxmond wrote:

2.
Watch Post:Tear down your own complete building.
What is going to happen if I tear down a stolen building by Prison?
It is going to go where Watch Post tells you it is going to go.

oxmond wrote:
3.
Tribunal: draw a joke after thinking
School:think as many time as your influence
Can I can draw more than one joker by the "tribunal+school" combo?
Yes. Each think nets you a Jack.

oxmond wrote:
4.
Palace:Play more cards to do more actions
Can I discard 2 cards of the same color as joker when I use palace?
Yes

oxmond wrote:
5.
Forum Romanum:all kinds of material+client, win
Can I build this first, and reach the win condition later?
Yes. In fact, if you have a completed Gate, you don't even have to complete the building.

oxmond wrote:
6.
Stairway:Move one material to opp's complete building
(1)
Some building change the material need for that building.
Does that also affect the Stairway?
(2)
How stairway work with watch post and/or prison?
1. Sure.
2. I'd say Stairway doesn't change who owns the building, it just changes who gets the powers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oxmond wrote:
Hi all!
hi

oxmond wrote:
1.
Prison:steal a building
Where should the material under the stolen building go?
The material used to complete the building? It should go along with it. I know some groups just discard the cards underneath, but it looks like the Watchtower gives you a reason to keep material used to complete it to stay underneath.

oxmond wrote:
2.
Watch Post:Tear down your own complete building.
What is going to happen if I tear down a stolen building by Prison?
AFAIK, since the building is now yours b/c you 'stole it', you get to do the same thing to one of your own buildings, but to that "Prison-ed" buildings now

oxmond wrote:
3.
Tribunal: draw a joke after thinking
School:think as many time as your influence
Can I can draw more than one joker by the "tribunal+school" combo?
Given how Fountain works and should be similar to this, I believe you can draw multiple Jacks if you want to.

oxmond wrote:
4.
Palace:Play more cards to do more actions
Can I discard 2 cards of the same color as joker when I use palace?
No you need an ability that lets you do that first (play of same color as wild role). For example, if playing the Imperial edition, play 2 Jacks, 3 yellow, and 2 gray to get 5 Architect actions.

However, once you get the Circus...
2 Jacks, 2 yellow, and 2 gray to get 5 Architect actions.

If playing the Republic rules, you can now do...
2 Jacks, 2 yellow, and 2 gray to get 5 Architect actions.

If playing the Republic rules AND have Crane, you can now do...
2 Jacks, 3 yellow, and 2 gray to get 7 Architect actions.

oxmond wrote:
5.
Forum Romanum:all kinds of material+client, win
Can I build this first, and reach the win condition later?
Yes. While it'd be nice to sneak this up on your opponents for the win, sometimes, the opportunity to finish this comes before meeting it's text requirements.

oxmond wrote:
6.
Stairway:Move one material to opp's complete building
(1)
Some building change the material need for that building.
Does that also affect the Stairway?
I'll argue that this works. For example, the wording on this and Road both use "add to structure (Road is may add blue/stone to any structure)
oxmond wrote:
(2)
How stairway work with watch post and/or prison?
For Watch Post, I suppose the added material via Stairway counts as material for that purpose.

With Prison, the person who used Prison comes out behind, as he just lost his 3pts, and now EVERYONE gets to use the Stairway-ed building.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oxmond wrote:
5. Forum Romanum:all kinds of material+client, win
Can I build this first, and reach the win condition later?
ackmondual wrote:
Yes. While it'd be nice to sneak this up on your opponents for the win, sometimes, the opportunity to finish this comes before meeting it's text requirements.
Sometimes it's even best to wait until you get the conditions first, so for example, someone can't steal or Stairway your Forum before you use it to win.

oxmond wrote:
6. Stairway:Move one material to opp's complete building
(1) Some building change the material need for that building.
Does that also affect the Stairway?
ackmondual wrote:
I'll argue that this works. For example, the wording on this and Road both use "add to structure (Road is may add blue/stone to any structure)
A rules lawyer with an axe to grind will point out that Road and Tower both say "You may use [material] towards the completion of a foundation", and since the Stairway is the ONLY time you can add to a building besides adding for completion, they must have been excluding that use, to say that specifically. I think this one could have been written more clearly in the rules (if they wanted that effect, it should have been clarified under Stairway, not under Road/Tower), and would personally allow the augmented building power in my own games.

The Stairway is darn near useless and should almost never be built, so it doesn't come up much. The right answer to the above question is probably "Why are you building a Stairway?"

oxmond wrote:
(2) How stairway work with watch post and/or prison?
ackmondual wrote:
For Watch Post, I suppose the added material via Stairway counts as material for that purpose.
Agreed.

Wanted to point out that several of these questions are about the added "expansion" cards. If you are not very familiar with the game DO NOT USE THOSE CARDS. Really. This is not a normal expansion where the company carefully added to the game and you naturally will add them in when you have both available. This is just a toy to play with when you feel like it, if at all. Give yourself a chance to enjoy the real game first.

Also, I'd suggest the Imperial rules over the Republic rules. The Republic rules are presented like they are the "real" rules in the black box edition, but they are just a hack to the original Imperial rules, and make a mess of things trying to make the hack work.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
r56ygf wrote:
3. I would think yes. Sounds very powerfull. But I'm not totally sure.
Powerful? Sounds like a crippling mistake to have a hand full of stuff that you can't use for anything but roles and can't clear out fast so you can think.

On Imperial/Republic, there's a helpful mnemonic when deciding which to play. Imperial is interesting and Republic is Rubbish.

B>
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
Avatar
Microbadge: Minions fanMicrobadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: Don't blink.Microbadge: DEATH RAY!Microbadge: Masters of the Universe fan - Tri-Klops
thepackrat wrote:
On Imperial/Republic, there's a helpful mnemonic when deciding which to play. Imperial is interesting and Republic is Rubbish.
Imperial is irritating, Rebublic is Right?
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose my opponent has a Sewer that he completed with a single Marble by virtue of his completed Scriptorium.

Assuming that I don't have a completed Scriptorium, can I use a Marble to make his Sewer public - or do I need to use Stone?

There are similar questions if my opponent has a completed Road or Tower.

Or what if my opponent completed his Sewer normally (with three Stone), but I have a completed Road - now can I use any material to make his Sewer public?

If I have a completed Scriptorium, can I make any building public with a Marble?

(I'm focusing here on who has the Road/Scriptorium/Tower - not on whether these buildings interact with Stairway at all, given the "towards completion" language.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Suppose my opponent has a Sewer that he completed with a single Marble by virtue of his completed Scriptorium.

Assuming that I don't have a completed Scriptorium, can I use a Marble to make his Sewer public - or do I need to use Stone?
You need to use stone. He's got a completed Scriptorium. You don't

gillum wrote:
There are similar questions if my opponent has a completed Road or Tower.

Or what if my opponent completed his Sewer normally (with three Stone), but I have a completed Road - now can I use any material to make his Sewer public?
Yes

gillum wrote:
If I have a completed Scriptorium, can I make any building public with a Marble?
I'd say no, as using Stairway clashes with Scriptorium's "upon completion" clause.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
gillum wrote:
If I have a completed Scriptorium, can I make any building public with a Marble?
I'd say no, as using Stairway clashes with Scriptorium's "upon completion" clause.
Not sure that I follow this. Scriptorium's power is not limited to "upon completion" - it can be used any time in the future. The rules mention completion to emphasize that you can use the Scriptorium's power in the turn in which you complete it - and into the future.

Making a building public with Stairway doesn't allow others to use the building's "upon completion" power. But I'm not asking about using Stairway on Scriptorium, but on any other building.

I have a completed Stairway and Scriptorium. Can I add a Marble to your completed Sewer to make it public? What if you and I both have Scriptorium, and you used yours to complete a Sewer with a single Marble. Do I now have to use Stone to make your Sewer public?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
gillum wrote:
If I have a completed Scriptorium, can I make any building public with a Marble?
I'd say no, as using Stairway clashes with Scriptorium's "upon completion" clause.
Not sure that I follow this. Scriptorium's power is not limited to "upon completion" - it can be used any time in the future.
What he means is that the Scriptorium clearly says you use it to complete a structure. You do NOT use it to add to a structure, and it certainly does not just let you add Marble to anything (except to complete it). The Scriptorium (allowing you to complete a building) and Stairway (applying to already completed buildings) are wholly disjoint functions.

Quote:
I have a completed Stairway and Scriptorium. Can I add a Marble to your completed Sewer to make it public?
No.
Quote:
What if you and I both have Scriptorium, and you used yours to complete a Sewer with a single Marble. Do I now have to use Stone to make your Sewer public?
Yes, you have to use Stone. The Scriptorium and the Marble in the Sewer are irrelevant.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls