Subject: Going to play MoV for the first time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I just acquired a copy of the 2nd edition reprint of this game and I am psyched to play it. I understand that there are 2 version of the rules in the game, and I want to ask everybody here which version should a group of first time players play.

I'm sure everybody is familiar with the need to have a game make a good first impression in order to keep interest high. I hope to play with the version that would provide exactly that. Of course it might simply come down to a matter of preference, since I've see the opinion on this to be pretty much split down the middle. But still, I would like to defer to the better judgment of those who have played this. Note that my group has no prior experience with MoV and thus nostalgia will not be a factor.

To give everybody a better feel of our group dynamic and preference, the games most requested and played the most this year are:

Dominion, Legendary, Suburbia, Alien Frontiers and 7 Wonders.

Among my collection, the least to be suggested and thus hit the table are:

Puerto Rico, Le Havre, Guildhall, Cosmic Encounter and Agricola.

I know that's a bit of a mish mash of games, but maybe some folks would see similarities with their experience and suggest based on that.

Thanks everyone for reading!

Poll: Which version of MoV should our group of first timers try?
The updated Standard version or the tried and tested Classic version?
Standard (FFG ruleset)
Classic (Avalon Hill/Stronghold ruleset)
      22 answers
Poll created by dyeyk2000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start with the one that's simpler and shorter. That's the Classic version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I'd start with the one that's simpler and shorter. That's the Classic version.
That seems to be sensible advice for any game that has two versions. No point in muddying the waters with fan-boy arguments (from both sides) about which is 'better'. Play the classic first. Play the standard later. Then decide which you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
Of course it might simply come down to a matter of preference, since I've see the opinion on this to be pretty much split down the middle.

Is that your impression? It isn't mine. From my reading of the forums it seems that more people prefer the Classic game to the Standard, but it's hard to tell whether to give the same weight to someone who was familiar with the original, as you would expect them to prefer the classic version.

FWIW, my group had never played (or heard of) the original, and we have played both the Standard game and the Classic game once each. We unanimously agree that the Classic game fits our gaming style the best. We like to have a little strategy in our games and the Standard Game was just a little too random. YMMV of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rianane wrote:
Is that your impression? It isn't mine. From my reading of the forums it seems that more people prefer the Classic game to the Standard, but it's hard to tell whether to give the same weight to someone who was familiar with the original, as you would expect them to prefer the classic version.

It certainly depends. At first I saw the same pattern. As you said, there seemed to be a lot of people who preferred the Classic version. But as the game got more widely distributed, and after the early adopters (presumably those who already had experience with the original MoV) had already said their piece, there seemed to be a surge of people (not just on BGG) who said they liked the Standard version better. Thus I thought, it might be a good idea to get the question back out there now that the game has reached more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both games are equally well-suited for first play, and the difference has more to do with the style of your group. Eurogamers are more likely to prefer classic, ameritrashers standard.

Honestly I would focus not on which game you pick, but on having the rules down cold. MoV is an amazing game, but long, somewhat fiddly, and has a lot of downtime, so it cannot afford lots of rule lookups. I cannot emphasize this enough. The advantage of the standard version in this respect is that it has a fun solo variant which is great for cementing the rules. The AH version of the classic had a solo variant but the FFG classic version does not.

Also, if time is limited (less than 45 minutes per person), the classic version has the advantage that it has a short variant (play to 1000 points). The standard game also has a short variant, but it is more suited to experienced players.

edit: this may be a useful poll:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12264644#12264644
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:

Wow. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! (And look at that split! Yowza!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.