Subject: Kyu Problem help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody O'Bryant
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
Hi all, I recently started learning Go via the Interactive Way to Go website. (http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/) It teaches you through numerous Kyu problems, most of which I haven't found any issue with. Until now.

Under the 37 Kyu problems, there is one titled "What should I do first?" And the hint is to escape then attack. I've been stuck on it an embarrassingly long time.

The obvious first move is E2. After that, unless I'm missing a move, it says the only place I can play and not fail is C1. But then I can't find any success there.

So I was wondering is someone could help explain the solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how you decided that C1 is necessary, but I can assure you, C1 is incorrect. Would you like the right answer, or would you like to look for it yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try attacking white's stones that are separating your stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a throw-in problem. It's not anywhere near that complicated, so keep looking for a much simpler solution. E2 is first, and after that count your liberties and white's liberties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody O'Bryant
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
Hm. Guess I missed the C5 play. Could have sworn I played there an it said I was failing because the blacks in the bottom were left alone.

Thank all three of you. I figured that out painfully quick after your posts. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruvyn wrote:
I've been stuck on it an embarrassingly long time.
Addressing just this aspect of it, please never feel embarrassed over not being able to solve a go problem. Every single one of us has problems that make our brains explode, and then seem plainly obvious once we know the answer. Just go through as many problems as you can, don't stress over a single one for too long, and the repetition will eventually start to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. Glad you're finding the Interactive Way to Go helpful - I think a lot of us did it when we were learning. When you finish that you might enjoy the "Beginner Exercises" at Sensei's Library.

Edit: by the way, the "point" of this problem, such as it is, is that you cannot play the C5 atari while white can reply by capturing. Once you have an extra liberty on your other stones, on the other hand, C5 captures. (Possibly you tried C5 as your first move, saw that it didn't work, but didn't realize that E2 fixes the problem.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody O'Bryant
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
jdludlow wrote:

Addressing just this aspect of it, please never feel embarrassed over not being able to solve a go problem. Every single one of us has problems that make our brains explode, and then seem plainly obvious once we know the answer. Just go through as many problems as you can, don't stress over a single one for too long, and the repetition will eventually start to work.

Thanks for the advice!

sollnurspielen wrote:
You're welcome. Glad you're finding the Interactive Way to Go helpful - I think a lot of us did it when we were learning. When you finish that you might enjoy the "Beginner Exercises" at Sensei's Library.

Edit: by the way, the "point" of this problem, such as it is, is that you cannot play the C5 atari while white can reply by capturing. Once you have an extra liberty on your other stones, on the other hand, C5 captures. (Possibly you tried C5 as your first move, saw that it didn't work, but didn't realize that E2 fixes the problem.)
Just finished up at IWtG, and headed over to Sensei's library. Looks like a treasure trove of learning. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it's useful! This might also be helpful: www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Drink Me stated, this is a liberty counting problem. First you need the extra liberty and thus play E2, after that if you don't reduce the white's group liberty by playing at C5 white will capture the black group (E2) in a ladder. Thus, E2 first C5 afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls