Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Talone
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From someone new. 1) i keep seeing the term "modern boardgame". Could someone define this for me. Is it everything after a certain date or what? 2) the terms "euro games" compared to "american games" which sometimes the words crap and trash are used for either or both. Could someone explain these as well.

As an introduction let me share i am a 58 yr old who due to health problems have become somewhat of a couch potatoe. Two weeks before christmas last year someone broke into my house and amongst other things stole my computer. When priorities were made a new one was out of the question so i bought an Ipad Mini and in the last 10 months i have found board games play very well on it so you will find me more on the ios forums. Thought i would get a quicker response here though, as i am still learning to navigate this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

In my opinion, "modern" and "euro" are fairly synonymous. These games are less about player elimination and more about resource management. The themes of most of the games is secondary to the mechanics. I'd say this trend started about 1995 with the Arrival of Catan.

"Ameritrash" games tend to be heavy on theme and less about mechanics and more about the experience. Arkham Horror is a good example.

Both are fun, it all depends on what you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Firstly, there is real joy in owning and playing with the hard copies of these games. Don't think it only happens onscreen.

Euro and Ameritrash are categories I tend to ignore, but you'll probably find yourself leaning towards one camp or the other. As for what each is, I saw a post once which said something along the likes of "In Euros luck happens to you and then you work out your decisions, while in Ameritrash you make your decisions and are then subject to luck". Also somebody has said that in the former you build stuff while in the latter you destroy stuff, but whatever. My advice would be to splash around, forget about labels and find out what you enjoy.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Victor! Love having new visitors to this site. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of wonderful board games you've never heard of, all ready to explore. You're in for a treat!

For a definition of modern board game, think back to playing Risk as a kid, where the game could go on hours after you were eliminated. Or Monopoly, where people could try to trade endlessly but the one guy who refused to do so keeps the game from being fun, and, again, the game could go on for hours after you were eliminated. Or how you had to roll dice to determine how any spaces you could move, and your turn consisted of doing whatever was in that space. Now, imagine games where player elimination is almost never part of the equation, where games have actual time limits that prevent it from going on forever, where NOT trading actually can hurt you, where you can manipulate dice results or replace them entirely with strategic and tactical choices that minimize their impact, and you have the definition of "modern board game". Yes, the trend started around 1995 with Catan, but there are a few older games that still meet criteria for the term. Modern board games almost universally have better graphics design and higher quality production values than anything coming out before, not to mention more interesting mechanics and rules.

You'll see the term Ameritrash to refer to games like Risk and Axis and Allies, not to mention numerous dungeon-crawlers and minis-heavy games with complex rulesets and tons of dice. Plenty of these games are made by non-American publishers, but the foundation of the term comes from Risk and Axis and Allies, and has therefore stuck. Ameritrash games often have rules dictated by the theme moreso than the gameplay, and are generally less streamlined than Euro games.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Talone
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what i was hoping for, thank you for the replies. Just so you know the direction of my interests, i am sticking to ios games for the time being for the AI and multiplayer since i have no group to play with currently. Games owned so far are:
Elders signs: omens (arkam horror lite i think)
Pandemic (just released!)
San juan (puerto rico based card game)
Small world
Ticket to ride
Warhammer quest (out of print in cardboard)
Scotland yard
Eclipse
Summoner wars
Ascension: something something of the godslayer
Zombies!!!
All of these except Eclipse were easy enough to pick up the mechanics, but atleast half are providing a learning curve on the strategy/tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All great game choices. And just the tip of the iceberg into modern boardgaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Modern boardgame is more a category than a dating, used to differentiate the game we are playing, as opposed to your Monopolies/Chesses/Checkers/Etc. You can find "modern boardgames" dating back to the late 70's, in all honesty.

In general, though, whatever year Settlers of Catan came out would probably be the start of what people generally refer to as modern boardgaming.

2. AmeriXXXX and EuroXXXX are designations for two broader categories of boardgames:

AmeriXXXX games emphasize conflict, randomness, fantastic themes, and hidden information (Summoner Wars, Chaos in the Old World, Arkham Horror).

EuroXXXX games emphasize planning, perfect information, mundane themes, and low interaction (Hansa Teutonica, Endeavor, Caylus).

They don't indicate quality (the suffixes being added as terms of endearment or because a given player doesn't enjoy them), just gameplay elements. These two game types are not absolute and, especially these days, are blending heavily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls