Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Pres. Obama Will Use His Own Money to Open Muslim Museum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Shocking.

Quote:
Washington, DC — While up to 800,000 federal workers faced life without a paycheck as Day Two of the government shutdown kicked in, President Barack Obama held a press conference to announce that he is using his own money to open the federally funded International Museum of Muslim Cultures.

“During this shutdown, people will have to deal with some of their favorite parks and museums being closed,” Obama told reporters. “Just keep in mind, they will always be there. The Grand Canyon and the Smithsonian are not going anywhere.” Obama continued, “The International Museum of Muslim Cultures is sacred. That is why I have taken it upon myself to use my own personal funds to re-open this historic piece of American culture.”

- See more at: http://nationalreport.net/obama-uses-money-open-muslim-museu...

Here is FoxNews' perspective- that in the middle of Obama's crackdown on WWII vets, he's funding a Muslim museum!



Except-
That its not true. NationalReport.net is a parody site.

But yet, FoxNews was so focused upon hitting the President for using the shutdown 'hurt Americans', that they didn't vet the source before going on the air.

What's the point?

Only to point that the biggest bias in journalism is laziness. Second to that is the extent to which that finding footage for Talking Head "Outrage" shows is replacing journalism. I mean, seriously- egging on a WWII to 'speak his mind', hoping he'll go blue in talking about how disrespected he feels in the middle of the pseudo-event created by GOP Congresspeople?

Thirdly, to point out the extent to which that some on the Right are willing to debase themselves in order to desperately try and 'win' this public relations fight.

Darilian
32 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Thirdly, to point out the extent to which that some on the Right are willing to debase themselves in order to desperately try and 'win' this public relations fight.
Wait, something should be true before you report it? Or, at least, not demonstrably a parody?

Dar, what are these "standards" you're suggesting and why are you so delusional? You can't get mileage out of accuracy, man!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
To be fair to Fox News-

The National Report is about the least funny 'parody' site I've ever encountered.

Darilian
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your point? It's a parody that was picked up and reported as a real story when basic journalistic verification would have revealed what it was.

That's disgusting.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
perfalbion wrote:
What's your point? It's a parody that was picked up and reported as a real story when basic journalistic verification would have revealed what it was.

That's disgusting.
Oh, just pointing out that after reading about 3 articles on NationalReport.com, I was done.

But yes, for anyone on Fox, or any other news organization to fall for this- much less use it to set up an attack on the President- is really unprofessional.

Darilian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Dar says, this was not lazy journalism, it was biased journalism that in it's head long rush for outrage became lazy.

It is sad and pathetic and sadly represents a mentality here on RSP to try and find (and 'interpret') anything that can be used to attack Obama (and in indictment of both journalism and political discourse in the USA).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
perfalbion wrote:
What's your point? It's a parody that was picked up and reported as a real story when basic journalistic verification would have revealed what it was.

That's disgusting.
What's more annoying is that I've been seeing this posted on Facebook over and over the last few days, by former classmates I've stayed in touch with, who are taking it as gospel truth.

The deliriously hysterical frothing-at-the-mouth they then proceed to engage in commenting on it is just...mind-boggling.

I mean, you really shouldn't even need to BOTHER to fact-check it, merely reading the story headline ought to be enough for a chuckle - it's just so blatantly ridiculous. That there are people (lots of them, apparently) that could take it seriously speaks, I think, to a troubling amount of the population being LITERALLY 'blinded with hatred'.
7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
What's your point? It's a parody that was picked up and reported as a real story when basic journalistic verification would have revealed what it was.

That's disgusting.
What's more annoying is that I've been seeing this posted on Facebook over and over the last few days, by former classmates I've stayed in touch with, who are taking it as gospel truth.

The deliriously hysterical frothing-at-the-mouth they then proceed to engage in commenting on it is just...mind-boggling.

I mean, you really shouldn't even need to BOTHER to fact-check it, merely reading the story headline ought to be enough for a chuckle - it's just so blatantly ridiculous. That there are people (lots of them, apparently) that could take it seriously speaks, I think, to a troubling amount of the population being LITERALLY 'blinded with hatred'.
Give it a few month and it will be regurgitated here as fact as well, you know who you are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, I thought Fox News was a parody. It isn't?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
XanderF wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
What's your point? It's a parody that was picked up and reported as a real story when basic journalistic verification would have revealed what it was.

That's disgusting.
What's more annoying is that I've been seeing this posted on Facebook over and over the last few days, by former classmates I've stayed in touch with, who are taking it as gospel truth.

The deliriously hysterical frothing-at-the-mouth they then proceed to engage in commenting on it is just...mind-boggling.

I mean, you really shouldn't even need to BOTHER to fact-check it, merely reading the story headline ought to be enough for a chuckle - it's just so blatantly ridiculous. That there are people (lots of them, apparently) that could take it seriously speaks, I think, to a troubling amount of the population being LITERALLY 'blinded with hatred'.
It is sad that the satire on NationalReport doesn't really seem that satirical. You see the same types of accusations brought forward on Drudge and the Daily Caller, amongst other right wing blogs.

Truth is stranger than fiction, I drive there every night.
-Mick Jagger.

Darilian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
slatersteven wrote:
XanderF wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
What's your point? It's a parody that was picked up and reported as a real story when basic journalistic verification would have revealed what it was.

That's disgusting.
What's more annoying is that I've been seeing this posted on Facebook over and over the last few days, by former classmates I've stayed in touch with, who are taking it as gospel truth.

The deliriously hysterical frothing-at-the-mouth they then proceed to engage in commenting on it is just...mind-boggling.

I mean, you really shouldn't even need to BOTHER to fact-check it, merely reading the story headline ought to be enough for a chuckle - it's just so blatantly ridiculous. That there are people (lots of them, apparently) that could take it seriously speaks, I think, to a troubling amount of the population being LITERALLY 'blinded with hatred'.
Give it a few month and it will be regurgitated here as fact as well, you know who you are.
I think the official position from Those People is that 'this is just stuff liberals make up stories about conservatives believing, because no conservative would actually believe it's true, but liberals like to think we are stupid and gullible and so they keep reading/watching this stuff to support their confirmation bias'.

Of course, Fox News commenting on it is just...ummm...reverse-psychology. Or counter-parody! Or something. Because, you know, they are 'in' on the joke!
2 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb



Journalist gets it wrong due to bias? Wake me when you have some real news...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
DWTripp wrote:
Journalist
HAHAHAHAHAHAH, did you miss the part where it was Fox News reporting this?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Journalist
HAHAHAHAHAHAH, did you miss the part where it was Fox News reporting this?


Your small-minded bias is showing. You should be more like me... hate all of them, not just the ones you disagree with.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
Dan Rather stopped being a legitimate reporter long before he publicly crashed and burned his official career.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

This makes it look like you hate this guy, Tripp. Are you the one who sent him those fake documents?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dan Rather stopped being a legitimate reporter long before he publicly crashed and burned his official career.
For the most part that's true of all the MSM journalists. Investigative reporting that isn't agenda-driven or financed by hidden power-brokers is rare. That's my view of the field. A quality investigative journalist ought to be able to make everyone feel uncomfortable, not because they expose the little flaws of your ideological hero, but because they uncover what is purposely hidden and make it known to everyone.

Here's how I see it.... these guys are no better, any of them, than Slater or Jerbear with a keyboard and the ability to spell "Google". Both those nimrods use Google solely to bolster their own biases and in a thinly veiled (and pathetic) attempt to one-up whoever they see as their enemy and score some sort of imaginary geek points.

Google doesn't make you smart, nor does it prove anything beyond basic spelling skills (thank you auto-correct) and how to phrase a biased query. To really reveal something as a journalist means actually steeping yourself in the required knowledge and background of your subject, reading for context and depth relevant books, articles and essays and steering clear of what is easily accessible by any moron with a keyboard and a burning desire to be right about something... anything.

Just like Al Jazeera sells the Middle East pro-Muslim POV, Fox sells the America-centric pro-gun & bible POV while MSNBC sells anything that opposes Fox, no matter how deplorable or what disgusting people they have to hire to do it. CNN is no longer relevant due to being dropped by half the cable providers in America and even the AP and Reuters have been caught out selling ideology in recent years.

Some guy on Fox bleating about Muslim-something-something is meaningless except to the hard core Libs who have no interest in truth but only in their "geek score".
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Dan Rather stopped being a legitimate reporter long before he publicly crashed and burned his official career.
For the most part that's true of all the MSM journalists. Investigative reporting that isn't agenda-driven or financed by hidden power-brokers is rare. That's my view of the field. A quality investigative journalist ought to be able to make everyone feel uncomfortable, not because they expose the little flaws of your ideological hero, but because they uncover what is purposely hidden and make it known to everyone.

Here's how I see it.... these guys are no better, any of them, than Slater or Jerbear with a keyboard and the ability to spell "Google". Both those nimrods use Google solely to bolster their own biases and in a thinly veiled (and pathetic) attempt to one-up whoever they see as their enemy and score some sort of imaginary geek points.

Google doesn't make you smart, nor does it prove anything beyond basic spelling skills (thank you auto-correct) and how to phrase a biased query. To really reveal something as a journalist means actually steeping yourself in the required knowledge and background of your subject, reading for context and depth relevant books, articles and essays and steering clear of what is easily accessible by any moron with a keyboard and a burning desire to be right about something... anything.

Just like Al Jazeera sells the Middle East pro-Muslim POV, Fox sells the America-centric pro-gun & bible POV while MSNBC sells anything that opposes Fox, no matter how deplorable or what disgusting people they have to hire to do it. CNN is no longer relevant due to being dropped by half the cable providers in America and even the AP and Reuters have been caught out selling ideology in recent years.

Some guy on Fox bleating about Muslim-something-something is meaningless except to the hard core Libs who have no interest in truth but only in their "geek score".
I see a pot, and it's very black indeed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Dan Rather stopped being a legitimate reporter long before he publicly crashed and burned his official career.
For the most part that's true of all the MSM journalists. Investigative reporting that isn't agenda-driven or financed by hidden power-brokers is rare. That's my view of the field. A quality investigative journalist ought to be able to make everyone feel uncomfortable, not because they expose the little flaws of your ideological hero, but because they uncover what is purposely hidden and make it known to everyone.

Here's how I see it.... these guys are no better, any of them, than Slater or Jerbear with a keyboard and the ability to spell "Google". Both those nimrods use Google solely to bolster their own biases and in a thinly veiled (and pathetic) attempt to one-up whoever they see as their enemy and score some sort of imaginary geek points.

Google doesn't make you smart, nor does it prove anything beyond basic spelling skills (thank you auto-correct) and how to phrase a biased query. To really reveal something as a journalist means actually steeping yourself in the required knowledge and background of your subject, reading for context and depth relevant books, articles and essays and steering clear of what is easily accessible by any moron with a keyboard and a burning desire to be right about something... anything.

Just like Al Jazeera sells the Middle East pro-Muslim POV, Fox sells the America-centric pro-gun & bible POV while MSNBC sells anything that opposes Fox, no matter how deplorable or what disgusting people they have to hire to do it. CNN is no longer relevant due to being dropped by half the cable providers in America and even the AP and Reuters have been caught out selling ideology in recent years.

Some guy on Fox bleating about Muslim-something-something is meaningless except to the hard core Libs who have no interest in truth but only in their "geek score".
I see a pot, and it's very black indeed.
Well for fuck's sake! Google it quick to make sure... just like you did that old Redskins coach.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Tripp, just because you cannot figure out how to use google, doesn't mean it's hard for others. Do you have Microsoft stock or something?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Dan Rather stopped being a legitimate reporter long before he publicly crashed and burned his official career.
For the most part that's true of all the MSM journalists. Investigative reporting that isn't agenda-driven or financed by hidden power-brokers is rare. That's my view of the field. A quality investigative journalist ought to be able to make everyone feel uncomfortable, not because they expose the little flaws of your ideological hero, but because they uncover what is purposely hidden and make it known to everyone.

Here's how I see it.... these guys are no better, any of them, than Slater or Jerbear with a keyboard and the ability to spell "Google". Both those nimrods use Google solely to bolster their own biases and in a thinly veiled (and pathetic) attempt to one-up whoever they see as their enemy and score some sort of imaginary geek points.

Google doesn't make you smart, nor does it prove anything beyond basic spelling skills (thank you auto-correct) and how to phrase a biased query. To really reveal something as a journalist means actually steeping yourself in the required knowledge and background of your subject, reading for context and depth relevant books, articles and essays and steering clear of what is easily accessible by any moron with a keyboard and a burning desire to be right about something... anything.

Just like Al Jazeera sells the Middle East pro-Muslim POV, Fox sells the America-centric pro-gun & bible POV while MSNBC sells anything that opposes Fox, no matter how deplorable or what disgusting people they have to hire to do it. CNN is no longer relevant due to being dropped by half the cable providers in America and even the AP and Reuters have been caught out selling ideology in recent years.

Some guy on Fox bleating about Muslim-something-something is meaningless except to the hard core Libs who have no interest in truth but only in their "geek score".
I see a pot, and it's very black indeed.
Well for fuck's sake! Google it quick to make sure... just like you did that old Redskins coach.
So we should not check statements for accuracy, just accept them blindly? Of course I had to google him, I had never heard of him, and what is one of the first things I see, that he may not have been an Indian, shadows of Grey Owl. That of course is the problem with the world today, you can actually check the accuracy of statements.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Tripp, just because you cannot figure out how to use google, doesn't mean it's hard for others. Do you have Microsoft stock or something?
You got it wrong JerBear, I figured out how not to delude myself into thinking I know stuff because of Google.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Tripp, just because you cannot figure out how to use google, doesn't mean it's hard for others. Do you have Microsoft stock or something?
You got it wrong JerBear, I figured out how not to delude myself into thinking I know stuff because of Google.
No, you just regurgitate whatever crap you see in blog space to get a reaction without actually bothering to check it's accuracy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So we should not check statements for accuracy, just accept them blindly? Of course I had to google him, I had never heard of him, and what is one of the first things I see, that he may not have been an Indian, shadows of Grey Owl. That of course is the problem with the world today, you can actually check the accuracy of statements.
That's the trap. You can't actually check accuracy in cases like this... all you can do is repeat someone else's position... because you don't know if they are accurate. You could know, if you wanted to. But you'd have to look further than Google in many cases.

I can type in a line from a song I've never heard, get the lyrics, query what the lyrics mean and tell you you're completely full of shit about what you think they mean because I read a different Google line of query than you did. And I never have to hear the song or have the experience the artist wanted listeners to have.

In fact, the only part I'd get right is the part where you're completely full of shit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
To be fair to Fox News-

The National Report is about the least funny 'parody' site I've ever encountered.

Darilian
Sorry. Fox News is the least funny parody "news" I've seen.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |