J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
It looks like the Republicans made a bit of a misstep in their new path of trying to appeal to women with these sexist buttons at the California Republican Party convention yesterday:

After Carla Marinucci, a writer for the San Francisco Chronical, tweeted about it, they were removed (or maybe they ran out)

Stay classy GOP shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: California Republican Party convention didn't get the memo regarding women is seems...
I will take the middle road here and say it's likely these were crapped out by one of the independent vendors, not the party machine itself. I've seen shots of stuff on both sides of the aisle at conventions that was WAY over the top, and it's almost always been produced by some little make-a-buck on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Re: California Republican Party convention didn't get the memo regarding women is seems...
Josh has the right of it.

This sort of stuff is sold by vendors, not the GOP itself.

NOW-

If the reporter were to do a straw poll of delegates at the convention WEARING these buttons......

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Oh, I agree. But they were located outside the VIP room and only removed after they were publicly shamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this means is that (shock gasp) no one noticed them. But it does look really rather tacky and just a tad thoughtless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow that's almost as bad as anything that ever gets said about Sarah Palin.
I do however see the difference Hillary does have a face like a frying pan so its not as funny as saying Palin is dumb.

were these being handed out by the GOP or were they from an outside vendor ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
jmilum wrote:
Oh, I agree. But they were located outside the VIP room and only removed after they were publicly shamed.
except that that means they WERE shamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
whac3 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sure of the public at large finding out. But no one there considered it an issue before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second one condone hate. It's much worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
I do however see the difference Hillary does have a face like a frying pan so its not as funny as saying Palin is dumb.

I'm sure it was a vendor. Pretty sexist, huh? Do you have a link to any buttons with sexist remarks about Palin at a Democratic convention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
bjlillo wrote:
There goes Jer-Bear, making shit up again.
Not quite, you have that down pat though. Remember when you said those calendars were included in the swag bags. Yep, BJ the liar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sure of the public at large finding out. But no one there considered it an issue before that.
So who did the shaming then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

I'm sure it was a vendor. Pretty sexist, huh? Do you have a link to any buttons with sexist remarks about Palin at a Democratic convention?
Besides, accusing someone of stupidity is not sexist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
There goes Jer-Bear, making shit up again.
Not quite, you have that down pat though. Remember when you said those calendars were included in the swag bags. Yep, BJ the liar.
What go's around comes around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
whac3 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
So who did the shaming then?
I'm not sure what you want to debate here. The GOP has a long record of walking back comments regarding their sexist stance towards women once those comments are publicized to the country as a whole, i.e. the rape stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen those buttons at least once or twice before, and that lameass joke has been around regarding Hillary for years.

A vendor thinking that a moderately sexist button might sell to a certain group is not in any way a story and doesn't even go to prove that that group is sexist.

Plus, saying that Hillary isn't pretty isn't even really sexist. It's irrelevant, but it's just an observation, like saying that Michelle Bachman has crazy eyes or that Boehner needs to lay off the tan-in-a-can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

Plus, saying that Hillary isn't pretty isn't even really sexist.
It does pass the sexist test: I can't imagine buttons mocking a male politician tights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

It does pass the sexist test: I can't imagine buttons mocking a male politician tights.
Well, not that specific body part, but people mock male politicians for their appearance generally and its failure to meet attractiveness standards: for example: too fat, too short, too old, huge ears, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
rylfrazier wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Well, not that specific body part, but people mock male politicians for their appearance generally and its failure to meet attractiveness standards: for example: too fat, too short, too old, huge ears, etc.
Not fat, fat thighs. And small breasts. I've not seen the same regarding small penises or other male traits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
jmilum wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Not fat, fat thighs. And small breasts. I've not seen the same regarding small penises or other male traits.
I imagine that it will happen the first time that there is a national level Gay candidate for President.

Or if she's a lesbian, it will be that she has the bigger dick.

Ho ho ho.

*sigh*

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Then those will be homophobic. Like these are sexist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darilian wrote:
jmilum wrote:
I imagine that it will happen the first time that there is a national level Gay candidate for President.
But gays have bigger penises! Proven by science: http://www.salon.com/1999/11/04/size/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there enough actual things Republicans are doing, like putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work for no reason to be upset about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say 90% of the GOP base is vehemently sickened by those buttons and the sexism it portrays. What percentage of those people would speak up about it? What percentage would try to find someone in charge of the vendors and express their outrage?

And what percentage of them would bite their tongue and keep silent because they feared being slandered as a liberal for daring to speak out against a tasteless joke?

That's the thing. The GOP is selling out to the Tea Party because they feel they need their fractional-but-rabid support. And anyone who speaks up against it is labelled as a RINO or marginalized in some other fashion.

I'm not so blind as to think that there aren't a number of people who use the GOP as an umbrella for their hateful and small-minded beliefs. But the same could be said for the Dems and a percentage of people whose dream is to eliminate religion from the public discourse. It's not a stated position of the party, but there are those within the party who would love to see that happen and would gladly use the party to make that happen if they could.

So that is the shame of both parties. There aren't enough people willing to speak up against the radical extremists in the name of "liberty for all" because they fear the loudest voices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
rylfrazier wrote:
Aren't there enough actual things Republicans are doing, like putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work for no reason to be upset about?
Thought people were getting board about the shutdown.

But seriously, the only thing the Tea Party/Republicans/Consevatives/Whatevers seem to be upset about is missing leisure time at the National Parks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |