6 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarifications Sprout/R'lyeh & Mark of Sleep/Talent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odour Boy
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Duel of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Panic Station fan
I ran into two issues in my last game.

1. When playing Sprout on the R'lyeh base, both cards say to destroy a minion at the start of your turn. If I destroy Sprout, do I get the benefit from both cards?

...as I think about it just now, whenever 2 effects happen at once, the player must choose which happens first, meaning I'd have to choose either the Sprout's effect, or R'lyeh's. Is that correct? If so, we played it wrong. blush

2. Mark of Sleep stops a player from playing action cards, but does it stop a player from using a talent from a previously played action? I'm assuming not, as it stops the physical *playing* of the card, and not the *use* of a card. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ArchitectMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak fan
1. The player whose turn it is (most likely the one who owns Sprout, since its ability only works on its player's turn) chooses the order the abilities apply. If he/she chooses to apply Sprout first, he'll have to choose a different minion for R'lyeh.

2. Talents and playing actions are not the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Kallus
Italy
flag msg tools
[q="goodshepherd"]1. The player whose turn it is (most likely the one who owns Sprout, since its ability only works on its player's turn) chooses the order the abilities apply. If he/she chooses to apply Sprout first, he'll have to choose a different minion for R'lyeh.

He choose to use sprout ability first, he puts in play an extra minion. Can he destroy it with the base ability?

another thing

The player in turn decude the order the abilities apply it means that both works but if he decide to use first the base effect, and destroy the sprout can he also use the sprout ability to put an extra minion in play? or beacuse the sprout is destroyed its ability doesn't apply anymore?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Riggs
Netherlands
Kerkrade
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
Hadouken
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Smash Up fanMicrobadge: Boss Monster fanMicrobadge: Game of Thrones TV Series fanMicrobadge: Rocket League fan
He choose to use sprout ability first, he puts in play an extra minion. Can he destroy it with the base ability?
Yes, you can use any 'at the start of your turn' abilities if you meet the criteria for it. It is also allowed to combo them in the Cave of Shinies. Destroy one sprout at the start of your turn and play another sprout from the deck. Destroy him (since it is still at the start of your turn) and repeat for 4 easy VP's

The player in turn decude the order the abilities apply it means that both works but if he decide to use first the base effect, and destroy the sprout can he also use the sprout ability to put an extra minion in play? or beacuse the sprout is destroyed its ability doesn't apply anymore?
Like you said, you can't use the sprouts ability since he is no longer in play to be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Kallus
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I am a sexy shoeless god of war!Microbadge: Puerto Rico fanMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: Smash Up fan - Cats!Microbadge: 8-Bit Theater fan
Rixino wrote:
Yes, you can use any 'at the start of your turn' abilities if you meet the criteria for it. It is also allowed to combo them in the Cave of Shinies. Destroy one sprout at the start of your turn and play another sprout from the deck. Destroy him (since it is still at the start of your turn) and repeat for 4 easy VP's
Rules lawyering seems correct on this. But is so broken it feels wrong.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1162300/sprouting-sprouts
I'd go either with the popular misconception that sprout's minion is played in the main phase or that the sprout text should be "at the star of your next turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls