Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Iain Banks fanMicrobadge: Kraftwerk fanMicrobadge: Level 18 BGG poster
Playing with my son last night, I realised that the knowledge of exactly when the skies will clear is an important part of the game. In our games, the Germans usually change their tactics slightly so as to make best use of AA fire, and the Americans know their steamroller is coming so can adjust their moves on turn 4 accordingly.

So I came up with an idea. At the end of each turn, you roll a d12. If the result is equal or lower than the current turn number, the weather clears for the next turn allowing aircraft to fly. Using my dodgy maths brain, I get the following table, which shows the cumulative percentage chance of air support being available:

Turn 2 - 8.3%
Turn 3 - 23.6%
Turn 4 - 42.7%
Turn 5 - 61.8%
Turn 6 - 77.7%
Turn 7 - 88.9%
Turn 8 - 95.4%

This leaves a 4.6% chance that the weather never clears.

I haven't playtested this at all, and although the 50% mark falls on turn 5, the turn when air support becomes available normally, I'm a little bit worried by the 42.7% on turn 4. I'm after a bell curve centred on turn 5, but using the d12 in this manner gives a reasonable looking set of results whilst using the dice available in the game.

I know that extreme results could unbalance the game, but I'm looking at possible variants to change things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's a great system, it adds an element of unpredictability, which is the very nature of weather - the fact that it is so unpredictable. Thanks for the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Iain Banks fanMicrobadge: Kraftwerk fanMicrobadge: Level 18 BGG poster
I may well give it a go for a few games and see how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
I may well give it a go for a few games and see how it works out.
Please let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Carpi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try this method of randomization of the weather. It 'a good idea for the game even though historically the Allies knew that the weather would be bad for some time. It was also the reason why Germany attacked at that time and not in another, in order not to ensure adequate air cover to the Allies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls