Subject: Tracking current vs Total HP in rpg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Nagy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, and would greatly appreciate your collective experience and wisdom.

I am trying to create a very simple RPG using no dice, and no drawn out character creation. I can use this
"Character Sheet" to track maximum Health, but not Current Health. Is there some sort of way other than using dice, or another paper tracker to emulate current health?

I look forward to hearing your ideas, and also in participating more on this forum very soon! Thanks!

Also, I do not own the background elf image in this sample layout. I was using it for concept, because I thought it was an absolutely amazing image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand out damage counters to the players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, if that track around the outside tracks maximum hit points, why can't each player have two hit point markers: one recording maximum hit points and another recording current hit points?

Edit: ok so your design uses two counters to record max HP and thus would need two more to record current HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally subscribe to the pencil and paper method of scratching off current HP to record new current HP, occasionally erasing and rewriting, but I understand that's not for everyone.

One way is to have a stack of poker chips in front of each player. I've done that before, and it really feels like your HP is being whittled away as you lose them, and it has the added benefit that everyone at the table can see it. The small size chips would work pretty well for that, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Two-sided cardboard tokens with a full side and empty side, much like star rankings. Imagine hearts instead of stars below.

A weaker character with 3/3 HP, , takes 1 point of damage, so you flip a full heart to empty, and he's 2/3, .

A strong character who's taken 5 point of damage and is at 5/10 would look like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.