Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

In the rules there is a 2 player "variant". It seems to me that the game is basically created as a 3-5 player game with a 2 player twist at the end.

Based on that the question: How is the game with 2 player?

Regards
Mario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario,

indeed, Yunnan was originally developed as a 3 to 5 player game. Early versions even were 3 or 4 players only. But it quickly turned out that the game mechanics support 5 players just as well and test players liked it, too.

The 2-player “variant” was added later to the game when we wanted to see how the game plays with only two players. In fact, it turned out that this version adds its own challenges to the game play. Therefore we decided to include it in the rules. Because both players play with two colors each, it is quite similar to a 4-player game. The important difference however is that players now can use one of their colors as a “feeder” to the other color thus providing more tactical options and decision making. As both colors contribute to the victory point total of a player, this “feeding” needs to be properly timed and balanced.

Our test players quite liked the extra challenges of this variant and I think it is more than just a “twist at the end”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy waffles
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am so excited about this game, even moreso now that I know there is not a ghost player for the 2p variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caversham wrote:
Mario,

indeed, Yunnan was originally developed as a 3 to 5 player game. Early versions even were 3 or 4 players only. But it quickly turned out that the game mechanics support 5 players just as well and test players liked it, too.

The 2-player “variant” was added later to the game when we wanted to see how the game plays with only two players. In fact, it turned out that this version adds its own challenges to the game play. Therefore we decided to include it in the rules. Because both players play with two colors each, it is quite similar to a 4-player game. The important difference however is that players now can use one of their colors as a “feeder” to the other color thus providing more tactical options and decision making. As both colors contribute to the victory point total of a player, this “feeding” needs to be properly timed and balanced.

Our test players quite liked the extra challenges of this variant and I think it is more than just a “twist at the end”.
Thanks a lot for your reply!
The game sounds very (!) interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Yunnan yesterday, back from Essen. It was a 2p game (and I'm willing to play a 3 or real 4p game soon), and I found it very interesting. I guess it's rather different than a "normal" game, but it's clearly not a diminished version of the game.
Anyway, Yunnan is a very good surprise with a very pleasant theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I watched Rahdo's Runthrough for this game and it looks soooo good. I really like how the different mechanismens are interwoven in this game. But that there is no true 2-Player mode is sad. Yes, of course you can play with two colors each. And yes, there will be additional strategies in doing so. But I agree with Richard when he says that it is hard enough to wrap you head around the game without juggeling two colors at the same time.

For this reason - and as I would play this game most of the time as a 2 player game - how are the chances that we could get a doublesided game board - with a smaller board for a 2 player game on the back. In terms of printing costs it would not make a huge difference and as all the art assessts are done it would just be a question of coming up with a good set of limitations (how many provinces, how many auction spots etc.) and testing them properly.

Maybe Aaron could comment on this topic here?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Soares
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:
Yesterday I watched Rahdo's Runthrough for this game and it looks soooo good. I really like how the different mechanismens are interwoven in this game. But that there is no true 2-Player mode is sad. Yes, of course you can play with two colors each. And yes, there will be additional strategies in doing so. But I agree with Richard when he says that it is hard enough to wrap you head around the game without juggeling two colors at the same time.

For this reason - and as I would play this game most of the time as a 2 player game - how are the chances that we could get a doublesided game board - with a smaller board for a 2 player game on the back. In terms of printing costs it would not make a huge difference and as all the art assessts are done it would just be a question of coming up with a good set of limitations (how many provinces, how many auction spots etc.) and testing them properly.

Maybe Aaron could comment on this topic here?
Thanks.
^Yes, this!^

I dont know why this game don't have more buzz, it has everything to be a classic (well, except a proper 2-player game mode...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Wanjajoral"how are the chances that we could get a doublesided game board - with a smaller board for a 2 player game on the back. In terms of printing costs it would not make a huge difference and as all the art assessts are done it would just be a question of coming up with a good set of limitations (how many provinces, how many auction spots etc.) and testing them properly.[/q]

Can't reply for Aaron, but I don't think it would work very well. Having auctions in a game often implies more than 2 players. But the travel on the map is based on interaction. It doesn't work too bad with 3 players, but it is far better with 4 or even better with 5 players.
With only two colors, I guess one will try to go as far as possible, and the other might try to put as many merchants as possible on the second or third spot, after a tea house protection. Reducing the number of provinces to induce the interaction would probably weaken the strategy based on distance (or you would have to change the income in each province, and maybe the bridges position).

I would say that if you don't want to play 2 colors each in a 2P game, and will play most of your games only with another player, then you should try another game.
But this game is very good with the 2P variant as it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:

As to a doublesided board and additional rules and restrictions: that would make it an all new game with lots of development time (believe me: it was really hard work to get the balance right in the game as it is). I doubt that the publisher would want to invest here and I am busy with other game projects. So, I think this is a no-go.

But then, feedback on the 2-player rules is not too bad at all. Some people really like it. I suggest you play Yunnan with 3 to 5 players and see if you like the game. If you do, give it a try with just 2 players. You will see that it is not as fiddly juggling with two colors as you may think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls