10 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Gormenghast rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi. I'm from the UK. I'm a fan of board games. And a big fan of the Gormenghast books. And so imagine my delight in finding Gormenghast the board game in a local shop yesterday. But I can't find any reviews of it anywhere - including here. I need to know if it's any good before I buy it. Anyone???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: R.I.P. GeekdōMicrobadge: Golden CamelMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Werewolf D1 - running in the dark with a bag on your head
rogerstevens wrote:
Hi. I'm from the UK. I'm a fan of board games. And a big fan of the Gormenghast books. And so imagine my delight in finding Gormenghast the board game in a local shop yesterday. But I can't find any reviews of it anywhere - including here. I need to know if it's any good before I buy it. Anyone???
I'm puzzled as well. Your post is not the first to ask this and the game still has no entry. I can get one made, but I've not seen the game.

We need a UK gamer to grab a copy and create a listing. I suspect it's a light game as no one has taken on the challenge. But still the board gaming ranks I know in England are populated with completists.

very odd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Eisenberg
msg tools
Here is some info...and the rules:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1045447/gormenghast

http://www.sophisticated-games.com/uploads/Gormenghast%20rul...

best
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
The rules are online so you can get a feel for what the game is about: http://www.mediafire.com/view/mdmwk44omdkm8gb/Gormenghast+ru...

The actual game rules are 2 pages.

From the overview in the rules:

Quote:
Welcome to Gormenghast, that massive and crumbling stone edifice which provides the backdrop to this game. In this board game each player takes on the role of a 'kitchen rat' similar to Steerpike in the books. Like Steerpike you have the same murderous desire for power. Your goal is to accumulate as much influence as you can (in the form of Victory Tokens), rise to the top and become Master of Ritual. To acquire Victory Tokens players move characters around the board to complete various intrigues (detailed on Plot Cards). When a player completes a plot they gain Victory Tokens. The first player to acquire 9 (or more) Victory Tokens wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Gerlach
United Kingdom
St Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
The reason there's not much about it is because it only came out a few days ago and Sophisticated are a pretty tiny company.

I was one of the playtesters/consultants for Gormenghast, and I can tell you that I think it's a pretty great game. It's fairly light, but there's a lot of strategy and manipulation going on. We've managed to play games in under half an hour a couple of times, but usually it's between 45 mins and an hour - don't expect huge rambling complexity (it's been designed to be accessible).

More importantly, it feels pretty much right. I'm a huge fan of Peake's novels, and the game has the atmosphere about right.

If you want to know anything more about it, give me a shout! I spent a few months working on it, so I should be able to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Eisenberg
msg tools
Well, I'm a massive fan of the original trilogy so this announcement has really "Peaked" (see what I did there) my interest.

It will be bought!

best
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you buy/find it? I'm a big fan of the books

DoctorMike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Try http://gameslore.com/acatalog/PR_Gormenghast_The_Board_Game....or http://www.shiregames.com/khxc/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodsho....

Other UK online gameshops like boardgameguru.co.uk or Leisure Games may have it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon UK has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
New Zealand
Queenstown
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the submissions and there are three entries for the game awaiting approval by the admins.

Stop press *** Just appeared on database Gormenghast: The Board Game

I read the rules plus a brief but helpful session report on the thread listed above and bought straight away (from ozgamesshop)

I don't normally buy on the strength of rules/art or theme. But I was a huge fan of the books (the first two at least) and rules did look like it would be an interesting game - with at least some challenge. Also the art does look pretty stupendous. Both on the box cover and on the character drawings. The fact that it was also sanctioned by Peake's family was also a significant point in its favour.

What tipped me over the edge was a) the fact that it was very much a labour of love for the designer with a clear affinity for the works of Mervyn Peake and b) that Martin Wallace has been involved in some small way in the development - sufficient to be credited. I doubt that he would lend his name to a complete stinker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls