Hide
10 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me find my ideal solitaire rpg! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew heenan
msg tools
So im new to rpgs, ive played like one or two, but that's mostly it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other people who like to role play, so im looking for a solitaire/solo rpg to play. Heres some things I want: (BTW i know im being incredibly specific, it doesn't have to have all these, this is just what im looking for)
-Is a fantasy setting, or can be.
-Can be played solo
-Allows me to control multiple characters (Like a group)
-Has random content in it, or is capable of using it
-And has few rules
Ok, just let me know if you can think of anything close to what I want. The only thing ive ever found after many google searches is the Mythic rpg gm emulator. However, the book is pretty long, and im attempting to just wrap my head around it after the third readthrough. Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Dungeons and Dragons board games series.

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

I have Drizzt and enjoy playing it solo with 2 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Second Edition) has everything you are after and more. There are tons of expansions that allow you to customize the game and keep it from getting stale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can do PnP, you might like the revisioning of Citadel of Blood by Todd Sanders, which meets your requirements spot on. And if you don't, then eBay (and there are a couple in the marketplace) is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Runebound (Second Edition) has everything you are after and more. There are tons of expansions that allow you to customize the game and keep it from getting stale.
This, though sadly the base game and many of the expansions are getting harder to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
This, though sadly the base game and many of the expansions are getting harder to find.
There are a bunch in the market place and I just got into the game less than two months ago and have managed to find everything that had been released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
"Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one."
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

I'm probably missing something, as it hasn't already been suggested... Perhaps others don't consider it a role playing game, but I find it fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you actually want a boardgame, or an RPG? The fact you mention Mythic suggests an RPG....

However if you want a boardgame, check out Mice and Mystics - it's far better than the D&D series of games.

If you want an actual RPG then you're better off heading to RPGgeek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Odysseys: Treasure Awaits! would probably work, you can get the PDF pretty cheap.

Has a solo dungeon to run through, plus a book on creating random dungeons. Very light on rules, though it's primarily a dungeon crawl. Might be what you need to start with though.

Mythic isn't all that hard, you can use it with any RPG system. In fact it tends to work better with rules light systems, so maybe try that afterwards as a step up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is of course Tunnels & Trolls. I'm not sure about random creation, although that would probably be fairly easy to do, but there are a ton of solo adventures you can play, and they are generally pretty cheap.

Similarly, Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition) might work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls