Subject: 3 Rounds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Geekway to the West attendeeMicrobadge: St Louis Blues fanMicrobadge: NCAA Iowa Hawkeyes fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: School Teacher
Am I just unlucky? I've played 3 solo games and each game has ended at the end of round 3. Those truce cards always pop up. Sure it makes for shorter games, but I want to play a long war.
The last game I played was really heating up. The Americans had the south, the Brits had massive armies surrounding Mass. and had several northern colonies.
It was looking to be a real barn-burner. But then the Brit regulars had to play their truce card in round 2. And the Brit loyalists in round 3.

And too top it off, I made a fatal error that cost the Americans the win. They got greedy and saw NC with a lone Brit loyalist. All they could do is send a reg and militia in. The loyalist killed one and the other fled. Being the only unit left in the entire colony, they got control. So my plans were shot and a tie ensued. Stupid.

Im thinbking of burying the truce cards to cause a longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Math GeekMicrobadge: Golf playerMicrobadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
I've only played one game, and it stretched out to Round 7. The British never even saw Truce cards in their hand until Round 5 -- when the tide was turning towards the Americans.

We were lucky enough to get double movement (red turn then yellow) to end Round 7, which gave Britain a 6-5 win. Lots of back and forth in this one, we saw "point in time" scores ranging from 6-1 Britain to 5-3 USA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ATS - Advanced Tobruk System fanMicrobadge: RC airplane enthusiastMicrobadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Car Wars fanMicrobadge: Wiz-War fan
Turn order and game length are both random and beyond player control. I have played two games where I could have won had I either not had only a Truce movement card or some control over turn order.

So far every game has been enough fun that I have not cared. This is not a hardcore wargame, it is a light wargame where planning and strategy will get you far but not all the way. The mis-fortunes of war can easily cost you the game, just play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minor League Baseball Is For Everyone
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Platinum Board Game Collector
In order to avoid a quick game, I'll waste the event cards so I have more chances to avoid having to play a truce. It doesn't always work, but many times it is better to waste a card than risk an early counting for victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Veteran of a Foreign WarMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Squad Leader fanMicrobadge: Wings of War: WWI Miniatures fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fan
I don't count solo play for much more than trying to figure out the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Hopkins
United Kingdom
Pontypool
Torfaen
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Armada fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Dune: The Dice Game fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fan
I've only played the game half a dozen times and so far I've had three games go for more than 3 rounds (one lasted 7). I don't think that you'll find yourself in a position where you're forced to play a truce card with both of your factions that often, there are only 4 event cards in each deck after all.

In my limited experience with the game I must admit that the longer the game goes the more I tend to enjoy it. The last game I played went to round 6 and I lost by one territory, if the game had gone for just one more round I think I could have won as I had just drawn the event where the French turn up in Rhode Island. The British had managed to wrestle control of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut after a horribly atrocious war; getting a foothold back there would have been a game changer for me. I'm not sure that this session would have been so memorable if the war had lasted just 3 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls