Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Sessions

Subject: OP 2 Event - Timid, but fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Well, month 2 of the OP went a heck of a lot smoother than month one, with only minor questions from people on rules, unlike last month.

But I call the event timid because everyone I played all used the same strategy: stay on one edge of the board to avoid the OWPs. Essentially we would go directly at each other and shoot.

I was flying the Maht-H'A and the Ent-D.

First round, a Klingon group (D-7, Maht-H'A and that Neghvar class ship) wrecked me with some amazing rolls and a failure on my part to use my cards well. Loss for me.

Second round: Opponent comes to me with Reliant with Terell on board, a Miranda class, and the Ent-D with Picard, all in tight formation. He used Data to protect the Miranda, so I chose to fire on the Reliant. Two attacks later and it was space dust. After slugging it out I hurt him good, but not before I suffered a console fire which ended up destroying my Ent-D. But then my Maht-H'A finished off his Ent-D and I only had to pick off the Miranda. Teaches me to put out fires. Win for me.

Third round: He comes at me with two ships, the Maht-H'A and another ship I cannot remember. The start was not cool, with the OWP hitting my Maht-H'A twice and incurring a hit and a crit early on, reducing my primary weapon by 1. My big move was to have him overrun me after the first volley, and his ships did 180's, but I dropped antimatter mines in his way. He veered off to miss them and into range of two OWPs and my rear firing Photons on the Ent-D, all helping my Maht-H'A to victory.

I ended 2-1.

My main thought after the event is that the Ent-D handles like a cow. In the last round it could not turn around and left the battle making a long circle back. Also, the map was constructed to be too confining for tactics to be a big part of the game. Next month's OP look to be a bit more open and look forward to it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: My character uses two Shields?Microbadge: I'm a fan of Wages of WarMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: The Mystery of the Templars fan - Templar shield with crossMicrobadge: Heraldry fan
ericphillips wrote:


But I call the event timid because everyone I played all used the same strategy: stay on one edge of the board to avoid the OWPs. Essentially we would go directly at each other and shoot.
It really is a "joust". Seems like large alpha strikes, trickery (EMP, Muon, OBrien, etc), and rear firing are the keys to success.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
1) How were the obstacles placed? Did they play a big roles in how the were placed and moved in relation to the OWPs?
2) Maneuvering 3 ships in the scenario versus 2 ships?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation. Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers on!Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Red Sonja fan
The problem with the Ent D is not necessarily that it is a cow, but that it can't come about. There is no gaurantee that you'll take out your opponent in the first pass so you have to be able to turn around to go after him and the Ent-D can't do it. Sure, you've got the torpedoes and the 360 attack but if he moves outside of your engagement envelop, how do you get him without making a wide u-turn through the OWPS?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: My character uses two Shields?Microbadge: I'm a fan of Wages of WarMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: The Mystery of the Templars fan - Templar shield with crossMicrobadge: Heraldry fan
Mike Sisson wrote:
The problem with the Ent D is not necessarily that it is a cow, but that it can't come about. There is no gaurantee that you'll take out your opponent in the first pass so you have to be able to turn around to go after him and the Ent-D can't do it. Sure, you've got the torpedoes and the 360 attack but if he moves outside of your engagement envelop, how do you get him without making a wide u-turn through the OWPS?
I know it seems expensive to use a Talent slot on it, but having one more pass thanks to a Cochrane might be just enough...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation. Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers on!Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Red Sonja fan
Cochrane might do it indeed. Also thinking about dropping mines behind you for the other side to pass through.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: FurryMicrobadge: I play dead CCGsMicrobadge: The League of Nonsensical Gamers fanMicrobadge: Bibliophile - because books are meant to be enjoyed not readMicrobadge: Fighting Hover Crab fan
There is no piece of cardboard that I have ever hated more then the OWPs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
DoggieMon wrote:
1) How were the obstacles placed? Did they play a big roles in how the were placed and moved in relation to the OWPs?
2) Maneuvering 3 ships in the scenario versus 2 ships?
1. I suppose the only way the obstacles came to affect the game were helping to herd my opponent at the end of game three. The obstacles were place according to the diagram.

2. Both triple ship combos that came at me did the same thing... tight formation, straight moves only.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
dc0nklin wrote:
[q="Mike Sisson"]I know it seems expensive to use a Talent slot on it, but having one more pass thanks to a Cochrane might be just enough...
I'll be replaying this in a second OP event... and I think I will use the Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver as part of the D.

In this case I dont think I will switch out the Ent-D, because the thing is a tank (as well as a cow).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Cthulhu fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Conan CCG Contest participant
How about the Ent D with Reliant and Miranda, with mines and rear Photons? I don't know Fed points offhand, but is there enough left for captains and a Cochrane?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons fanMicrobadge: I'm a TableTop fanMicrobadge: 2013 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
Magentawolf wrote:
There is no piece of cardboard that I have ever hated more then the OWPs.
I love the OWPs for probably the same reason you hate them
I think this event is to drive our skills with maneuvering and formation flying.

This is really forcing us to focus how well with fly with the yardstick to the hands from the OWPs if we don't do it well.
It also forces some excellent CF exchanges if the fleets decide to go straight at each other.

Again, good maneuvering to force your opponent to be the nearer to the OWPs is going to be key.
And if you're flying the Enterprise D or Reliant, you should really consider investing in the A/M mines to further tie up the lanes.

I will say that it is possible to set your ships up such that you should be able to find a sweet spot in a corner of the playing field and just circle 2 around.
Just make sure your captains are lined up in the correct move order and you can make a nice wagon train.
I find that a useful delaying tactic to going after the other fleet.
Let them fly by one, possibly two OWPs before you peel out of the holding pattern to come at them to have an edge.

It would be really cool to set up an orbital rotation for them
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Chance Gardener wrote:
Magentawolf wrote:
There is no piece of cardboard that I have ever hated more then the OWPs.
I love the OWPs for probably the same reason you hate them
I think this event is to drive our skills with maneuvering and formation flying.

This is really forcing us to focus how well with fly with the yardstick to the hands from the OWPs if we don't do it well.
It also forces some excellent CF exchanges if the fleets decide to go straight at each other.

Again, good maneuvering to force your opponent to be the nearer to the OWPs is going to be key.
And if you're flying the Enterprise D or Reliant, you should really consider investing in the A/M mines to further tie up the lanes.

I will say that it is possible to set your ships up such that you should be able to find a sweet spot in a corner of the playing field and just circle 2 around.
Just make sure your captains are lined up in the correct move order and you can make a nice wagon train.
I find that a useful delaying tactic to going after the other fleet.
Let them fly by one, possibly two OWPs before you peel out of the holding pattern to come at them to have an edge.

It would be really cool to set up an orbital rotation for them
That assumes your opponent will go along with your plan.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons fanMicrobadge: I'm a TableTop fanMicrobadge: 2013 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
Oh, that would be for after the event, amongst players at my FLGS or with friends.
Definitely not for a tournament.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls