Subject: Call me old fashioned. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
I'm considering spending money on physical media.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Wait this is a site for people who play board games.

Nevermind, I fit right in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I still buy the odd magazine or book. Sometimes, I just like the tactile sensation.

What I don't buy anymore is music. iTunes is the only way to fly. I don't really believe in buying DVDs so you're on your own there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
I need physical media.
What else would I put on my shelf?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
It's Merriweather Post Pavilion I'm thinking of buying. So yes music.

And I ordered myself Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Einhänder today as well for my upcoming birthday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Competitive Gamer - I play to win!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG poster
braveheart101 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
I need physical media.
What else would I put on my shelf?!
Same here. I really don't like ebooks. I just can't get engaged with them as fully as I can with physical books, since I constantly get distracted by all the other things you have to deal with being on a digital device...Facebook updates, new emails, checking posts on forums, browsing you tube...I'd much rather read just a straight-up book with no distractions.
That's why I like my Kindle. It only does books, so I don't get distracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 20 Year Geek Veteran
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, you're old fashioned.

Congratulations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
I still buy books. I have a handful of short stories downloaded to my Kindle account (just last week I picked up a couple of Algernon Blackwood's short novels), but when it comes to books, I need my page numbers and chapter breaks and slick covers.

The last CD I bought was for one that was out of print, and not available electronically (legal or otherwise). Before that, though, it had been a couple of years since I'd bought one. I lurves my iPod.

I still buy some DVDs, but between Amazon and Netflix, I'm pretty much guaranteed to find what I want to watch. My last DVD purchase was The Hobbit, but only because (a) I hadn't seen it yet, and (b) it was $5.00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
What I don't buy anymore is music. iTunes is the only way to fly. I don't really believe in buying DVDs so you're on your own there.
Even iTunes (or Amazon or any other buy as you go) is old fashioned now. Spotify and the similar services are way better - pay a few bucks a month, and get to hear almost any CD ever made. (I actually use the google music service, because it's a little bit cheaper a month than the spotify android client, but it's the same thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I've attended many concerts there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Ooh, my second favorite Animal Collective album.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
braveheart101 wrote:

Eh, I'm not a fan of Spotify. The artists get barely anything whenever their music is streamed, and as I listen to a lot of independent label/new bands, I want them to make more than that. Now, if I listened to top-40 stuff, I wouldn't feel bad at all. Madonna is rich enough - getting $0.005 per stream or less won't hurt her bottom line.
I struggle to imagine how a single listen of a song can be worth much more than that. Putting a value on recorded music is a tricky thing, particularly once you eliminate the costs of recording and you consider that the supply of the product (the recording, not the song) is infinite. So how do you put a value on simply listening to a song once?

The bigger problem is the form of contracts that these artists get themselves into, which basically screw them no matter how the music is distributed. So, buying a band's recorded music may help them get out of the hole a bit, but it barely puts money in their pocket any more than listening to it via streaming would. If you really want to support a band, go to their concerts and buy merchandise directly from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
sisteray wrote:
frumpish wrote:
And #1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
sisteray wrote:
frumpish wrote:
And #1?
Feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls