Subject: Scoring the castle with a full sector: Phase 6 or 7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T.W. Man
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple question and I'm not sure if it matters in gameplay, but when does the scoring of a castle section occur when it's built fully? During phase 6 (building castle) when the sector is full, when the phase ends, or per normal in phase 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe castle scoring always takes place in the same phase (phase 7), regardless of whether it was triggered by building or by the bailiff.

Check the rulebook again. I know it's covered in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My understanding is per normal phase 7.

This does bring up an annoyance of mine. I've played the game where it's been a tie...twice. (isn't there 1 tie breaking condition and that is all?) Once with me being one of the tied players. I just want to say that shared victories SUCK! I mean here's a game where a city and an entire economic system springs up due to some rich guy building his castle nearby. Seems to me that the player with the most work done in the castle would be a great tie breaking condition. I feel games should offer at least 3 ways to break a tie rather than default to shared victory. We don't play games to TIE!...well I don't, I play to win...now I just need to figure out how to do that more often. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
TeeWee wrote:
A simple question and I'm not sure if it matters in gameplay, but when does the scoring of a castle section occur when it's built fully? During phase 6 (building castle) when the sector is full, when the phase ends, or per normal in phase 7?

It does matter in game play. You are only allowed to advance a specific favor track once per game phase. So if you get the royal favor for most batches in phase 6, you can use the same favor track again when you score in phase 7. If they both happened together, you couldn't and the usefulness of the favor track would be reduced significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's phase 7 when you score the castle sections; clearly stated in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules in Phase 7 - End of turn section wrote:

Once the bailiff has moved, place the provost on the space the
bailiff has just reached. Then, check if a scoring is necessary:
if the bailiff, during his move, reached or went past a scoring
space, or if a section of the castle has been completed during
this turn, proceed to scoring (in any case, there will only be one
scoring per section).

Thoia, there is no tie breaking condition (the author doesn't like artificial tie breaking anyway): it could force you to build more in the castle for example and you're less free of choices.
Anyway, spare cubes and money are kinda weak tie breaking (even though it is always better to spend them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. Man
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osidarta wrote:
Rules in Phase 7 - End of turn section wrote:

[...] or if a section of the castle has been completed during
this turn, proceed to scoring [...]

Thank you for this reference. I read the rules in my copy several times the day before yesterday hunting for this and couldn't find this. So I'm either blind as a bat or it fell out of the translation in my Dutch copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elmer Kim
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
You could always make cash worth 1/4 and cubes worth 1/3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TeeWee wrote:

Thank you for this reference. I read the rules in my copy several times the day before yesterday hunting for this and couldn't find this. So I'm either blind as a bat or it fell out of the translation in my Dutch copy...

Well it's some... erhm... dense rules. I can't tell you about the dutch copy paragraph. Hope it's a clear enough translation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. Man
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutch rulebook wrote:
Als de stadhouder tijdens zijn beweging op een plaats is beland (of voorbij is gegaan) waarop een scoreteken staat voor de kerkers, de muren of de torens, dan wordt de sector direct afgerekend.

That explains why I couldn't find it in the rulebook: it isn't in the translation. This passage only mentions the moment of scoring when the "stadhouder" (bailiff?) passes the scoring marks. Not the first time a translation is not 100% correct... shake

The rules in French, which are also printed in my rulebook, do mention the scoring when a section is finished. That is, as far as I can make out with my mastery of the french language

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TeeWee wrote:

The rules in French, which are also printed in my rulebook, do mention the scoring when a section is finished. That is, as far as I can make out with my mastery of the french language

That's a problem indeed.
Well the French version is certainly the most accurate (I am sure the English and German version don't have such "big" mistakes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.