Subject: Dominion Wars OP month 1 AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
After Action Report for Star Trek: Attack Wing The Dominion Wars Organized Play Month One event
The Gaming Pit
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

To: Starfleet Command
Re: Operation Return unconventional order of battle effectiveness assessment

As per instructions of Starfleet Command, Admiral William Ross ordered the assessment of forces with unconventional orders of battle as part of the Advanced Tactical Training program for Starfleet and allied officers. Thirteen members of Alliance forces consisting of Federation, Klingon, and Romulan officers (some acting as Dominion proxies) participated in holodeck simulations of scenarios for the upcoming operation to retake Deep Space Nine from Dominion forces.

I participated in three simulations. All had unorthodox force compositions as per orders in order to stimulate creative tactical thinking during battle conditions. The Order of battle consisted of the Nor class Deep Space Nine, with its shields disabled, using its phaser arrays as it's only offensive capabilities. In addition, the holo simulation had programmed the self-replicating mines devised by DS9 Chief of Operations Miles O’Brien prior to evacuating the station.

My force was formed by the Galaxy class U.S.S. Enterprise-D commanded by captain Jean-Luc Picard, the Galor class Kraxon commanded by captain Donatra with a profile provided by our Romulan allies, and the RIS Apnex commanded by a junior Romulan captain.

My battle plan was simple. Depending on the mine deployment pattern, the Apnex was to make a run for DS9 while the main fleet either followed the Apnex and catch up to the abandoned station or engage the enemy if targets of opportunity became available.

On the first simulation my fleet engaged a fleet commanded by Captain Luis Nieves. His fleet consisted of the venerable Constitution class Enterprise and two Miranda class light cruisers, including the U.S.S. Reliant. Captain Nieves made an error early in the engagement by dividing his force. He deployed on of his Mirandas towards DS9 on a course that forced the captain of the Miranda to avoid some of the deployed self-replicating mines. That gave me the tactical initiative.

I directed the Enterprise-D and the Kraxon towards his ships and took control of DS9. My fleet then engaged the Constitution class Enterprise, destroying it. And with its formation disrupted the Reliant didn't stand a chance against two ships of the line.

The remaining Miranda continued on its run to DS9 but by then my crew had command of its phaser arrays. The DS9 pylons destroyed the Miranda class, ending the first encounter.

The second simulation had me engaging captain David Martel. His fleet consisted of the Negh'var commanded by a holo simulation of captain Picard and the Maht-H'a. His fleet was clearly configured for offensive power.

The Apnex took control of the station. My opponent made a run towards the station. The Negh'Var received moderate damage from DS9's phasers, which managed to hit the ship despite its cloak. My main fleet was in close pursuit, with only the Kraxon being able to have a firing solution on the Maht-H'a given excellent formation flying ordered by captain Martel.

Captain Martell was able to destroy the Apnex while managing to avoid most of the phaser fire from DS9. However, the station managed to critically hit the Negh'Var while she made her attack run. This probably made Captain Martel to make two decisions: to beam most of the Negh'Var's command crew to DS9 with the intention of taking over the station (including captain Picard), and to start withdrawing his fleet until the station was secured.

With Picard on the station (and captain Martel's uncanny luck) his forces quickly overwhelmed my crew on the station. Clearly the captain planned to give me a taste of my own medicine as my fleet was still on approach of DS9 while pursuing his forces and would receive fire both coming in and on the retreat.

Given the options of facing a hostile DS9 or to invest resources I couldn't afford to retaking it I was left with only one choice: I had to destroy DS9. The Enterprise-D and the Kraxon opened fire on the station on the approach, and the Enterprise-D finished it as my fleet continued pursuit of captain Martel's fleet. In doing so, I deprived my opponent of the station and the crew he deployed there.

By taking my chances with the minefield, and receiving minor damage, my fleet caught up with the Maht-H'a, by concentrating fire on its aft quarter. In a final act of Klingon courage, the Negh'Var came about for an attack run. But without Picard in the captain's chair she lost the initiative, and was destroyed by the combined fire of the Enterprise-D and the Kraxon. Thus ended my second battle for DS9.

My third battle was fought with captain Norberto Rivera. His fleet consisted of a heavily armed Gor Porthas with captain Picard in command (a popular hologram throughout the fleet exercises), the Negh'Var with general Marok in command, and a Constitution class starship.

The Apnex once more took control of DS9, as captain Rivera decided to risk the minefield with his Constitution class Enterprise and received heavy damage in the process. His remaining fleet was swinging around the minefield. Captain Rivera decided to withdraw the Constitution class starship to rejoin his slowly approaching fleet while my fleet secured its position around DS9. Captain Rivera, apparently demoralized by the damage to his Enterprise, not seizing DS9, and fearing its firepower, decided to remain near the wormhole and not engage.

Seeing that captain Rivera would not engage, I decided to redeploy the fleet to take the offensive. But by that time the holodeck shut down as the time designated by the mission parameters ran out. In the end then it was a toss of the dice, with Starfleet Intelligence giving me an anti-climactic victory.

Reported by,
Admiral Douglas J. Romero
Commander U.S.S. San Juan, NCC-2701-C
Starfleet Advanced Tactical Training Group, First Fleet
Starfleet Command
Presidio, San Francisco
Sol System
United Federation of Planets

Afterword: At the end of the tournament I stood alongside a few excellent captains who also had 3 wins. In the end it came down to the fleet scores of the different players. The aggressive moves in the first two battles put me ahead of the other captains, giving me the final win and the rank of Admiral for the event. Everybody had fun. And everybody was competitive and friendly. I’m definitely looking forward to the OP month 2 event. It shall be interesting. My thanks to The Gaming Pit and its owner, Admiral Carlos Steffens of Stafleet Logistics for organizing the event and to my fellow players for their gallant acts of valor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
Microbadge: Don't Tread On MeMicrobadge: University of TexasMicrobadge: GrognardMicrobadge: 1911 fanMicrobadge: Civil War buff
thumbsup Bravo! thumbsup

Congratulations and thank you for the fine report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Prince of Moskova wrote:
thumbsup Bravo! thumbsup

Congratulations and thank you for the fine report.
Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls