kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat offense and defense are combined into a single roll. Consequently, if the character is good at offense they are de facto good at defense. The converse is also true. And if you get a really bad roll, and I've had some bad ones (three 1's...), say good-bye to your hand, and likely the scenario.

It wouldn't have been much more complicated to have more involved combat: initiation, ranged & melee phases, and include separate offense and defense stats and checks.

As the game is this may be a deal breaker for me, up on the auction block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the simplicity. You've already got armor and damage prevention cards to represent your defensive abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
I like the simplicity. You've already got armor and damage prevention cards to represent your defensive abilities.
Yeah, considering how many questions there are about this game for whatever reasons, adding more complication to combat would only add more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own enough games with complicated rules that don't get played, I'll take the simplified one that does.

Another factor is not simply your combat abilities; a characters defensive abilities are also built into not only theit deck but their hand size; Valeros and Amiri are far less likely to have a ruined day with a hand size of four, whereas one good hit on Ezren and he's sweating.

Offense and defense are not just in the stats; they are bbuilt into the gameon several levels making all the "under the hood" stuff simplified to those rolls which keeps the game moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, lets take a quick look at breaking down combat like that; if defense is handled seperately, then every single successful combat could still wreckyour hand, not to mention the fact that even more blessings and abilities would likely be played for each individual check, causing even more use of your precious resources.

Combat is all about risk management, but no one is lucky all the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unless your Boba Fett ...

sorry, had to throw that one in there

I figure the combat is both offensive and defensive and it lends itself well
if you've trained and are good, then you'll know how to attack and defend against it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you want the combat to be more like Warhammer than a card game that can be completed in under an hour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Defense is handled by protective cards in your hand (and hand size, as Shane pointed out). Valeros is good defensively because he can handle armor that mitigates damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat roll also distills all of a combat interaction down to a single roll. I always imagine it's just the end result of a longer battle. Thematically this can cover the gamut from an offensive demon who puts his foes down fast and hard and thus suffers no damage to a complete tank who absorbs lots of damage with robust armor while chipping away at their opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls