Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
In which Milton Friedman gives sage advice about paid anal sex.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
It's funny because he said naughty words.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
In point of fact, the most humorous words in this bit were "sour milk smelling", "Kegels", and "baby carrot".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
In point of fact, the most humorous words in this bit were "sour milk smelling", "Kegels", and "baby carrot".
it was actually "ass-kegels"!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
garygarison wrote:
In point of fact, the most humorous words in this bit were "sour milk smelling", "Kegels", and "baby carrot".
it was actually "ass-kegels"!
And the sour milk smell extruded from a ball sack and the baby carrot was stuck up an asshole.

I guess Gary is a smug prig not only when it comes to feminism.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Simon, didn't you say you do comedy on the side? Are you suggesting this Stanhope bit isn't funny?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whenever i need a dose of dirty words:
http://youtu.be/rgQPCa4JjCA
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
garygarison wrote:
Simon, didn't you say you do comedy on the side? Are you suggesting this Stanhope bit isn't funny?
I stated that most of his humour comes from using dirty language. Although I personally do not use such language, humour is subjective and everyone can make up their own mind whether or not they think this is funny. But you insisted his best jokes did not revolve around foul words which is obviously wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
He's role playing a foul-mouthed, grizzled street walker. But despite that, it's not funny because of the dirty language. You insisting otherwise is the kind of platitude I'd expect to hear from my aging mom, not a young smart guy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Why are you guys arguing with the self-proclaimed connoisseur of sophisticated humor? Next thing you know, he will be proclaiming all of you vapid.

Anyway, I'm back to ignoring this thread.

Enjoy.

snoresnoresnoresnoresnoresnoresnoresnore
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Don't go all elitist on me. The Doug Stanhope album from which this bit is extracted, Before Turning the Gun on Himself, reached number one on Billboard's comedy chart. In other words, mainstream.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polemic is one of my favourite forms of argument, right after subversive affirmation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Don't go all elitist on me. The Doug Stanhope album from which this bit is extracted, Before Turning the Gun on Himself, reached number one on Billboard's comedy chart. In other words, mainstream.
To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, "12 angels swearing that Billboard's comedy chart was any arbiter of funny would still be a complete crock of shit."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmb
And, to paraphrase me: Doug Stanhope is the least funny human being since the person who first said "pull my finger" for non-orthopedic reasons.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Oh, I am so disappointed. So disappointed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Good. You've had it coming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Pull our collective fingers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
garygarison wrote:
He's role playing a foul-mouthed, grizzled street walker. But despite that, it's not funny because of the dirty language. You insisting otherwise is the kind of platitude I'd expect to hear from my aging mom, not a young smart guy.
As I said, the language isn't necessarily a bad thing; it was not my intention to pass value judgement on it.

Regardless, do tell me which joke of this excerpt would work just as well without the language or situation in which they were presented.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't watch the clip from work, so I can only speak generally when I say I've never found anything Doug Stanhope did particularly funny.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Simon Mueller wrote:
garygarison wrote:
He's role playing a foul-mouthed, grizzled street walker. But despite that, it's not funny because of the dirty language. You insisting otherwise is the kind of platitude I'd expect to hear from my aging mom, not a young smart guy.
As I said, the language isn't necessarily a bad thing; it was not my intention to pass value judgement on it.

Regardless, do tell me which joke of this excerpt would work just as well without the language or situation in which they were presented.
Replacing all the vulgarities with more polite terms would still make the bit work. The comedy in this hinges on delivery and mental imagery, not bad language.

That said, "ass/shit pussy" does deserve special attention, given its prominence in the piece. I was going to suggest "buttgina" as a replacement, a cute absurdity that's unequivocally utterable on network TV. A google search informs us of about 14 thousand other instances of "buttgina". I'm not quite sure what the google results over-under is nowadays for trite/clever.

As far as editing the situation itself, given that the protagonist is a prostitute, that's a tough row to hoe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a joke.

There was this guy, who seemed to offend a bunch of women -- to the point where many people concluded that he was either a misogynist or at least an asshole. He said, "No, no, I love and totally respect women," and to prove it he spent time in a place that women had made for their own discussions and made fun of how vapid he thought their discussions were. Also, from time to time he would talk about how rape can be funny or how we can see the humor in a prostitute forced to extremes by a bad economy.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Chad, I respect you. You have a sharp mind and a gift for penetrating analysis. On most issues on RSP, I agree with you far more often than not. But when it comes to matters of creative arts, I think you might be out of your element.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Chad, I respect you. You have a sharp mind and a gift for penetrating analysis. On most issues on RSP, I agree with you far more often than not. But when it comes to matters of creative arts, I think you might be out of your element.
I didn't say he was a funny joke.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:


I didn't say he was a funny joke.
First, I was

Then, I read that and laugh.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
braveheart101 wrote:
garygarison wrote:
Don't go all elitist on me. The Doug Stanhope album from which this bit is extracted, Before Turning the Gun on Himself, reached number one on Billboard's comedy chart. In other words, mainstream.
Popularity doesn't equal quality. Just look at the billboard top-40.

But Stanhope is quality, it just that the OP showcased one of his shitty bits. Case in point:
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |