Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked for the answer to my question, but just cannot find. When bringing on a new race, can a player conquer a territory adjacent to your in-decline race and not your current race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Your active and in decline races are always treated separately. For all intents and purposes (besides getting points at the end of your turn) your in decline race does nothing for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
NinjaMike wrote:
No. Your active and in decline races are always treated separately. For all intents and purposes (besides getting points at the end of your turn) your in decline race does nothing for you.

Unless your decline race explicitly has an ability that works in decline and that ability explicitly lets you interact with your active race in some way.

Also here's a nice and easy rule to use. If you are not sure if your race has a power while in decline than it doesn't. Any decline powers will be explicitly noted in the ability description and you will be well aware of it when you pick up the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 4:

Quote:
Each of the newly conquered Regions must be adjacent to a region already occupied by his active race tokens, unless permitted otherwise by his race and special power combo.

Active race. Not "active race or in decline race".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:

Unless your decline race explicitly has an ability that works in decline and that ability explicitly lets you interact with your active race in some way.

Granted this would be true, but I couldn't think of any abilities that would qualify. I don't have every expansion though, so there could be gaps in my knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
NinjaMike wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Granted this would be true, but I couldn't think of any abilities that would qualify. I don't have every expansion though, so there could be gaps in my knowledge.

There aren't that many but Reborn from Small World Underground actually does just this (which is why I said what I did). When the Reborn race is in decline it lets you replace them with tokens from your new active race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
NinjaMike wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

There aren't that many but Reborn from Small World Underground actually does just this (which is why I said what I did). When the Reborn race is in decline it lets you replace them with tokens from your new active race.

Neat. I haven't played Underground before, so I didn't know that existed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
SW Rulebook wrote:
On page 4, 2nd paragraph:
> First Conquest
A player's race deploying on the map for the first time must enter it by conquering one of its border Regions (i.e. a Region adjacent to the edge of the board or one whose shore is on a Sea adjacent to the edge of the board...

SW Rulebook wrote:
On page 6, bottom of both columns:
Entering In Decline
...The player flips his current Race banner upside down, so that the grayed-out In Decline side becomes visible to all...that Special Power badge is no longer in effect, unless dictated otherwise (e.g. Spirit Special Power).

The player can make no conquests during the turn his race goes into decline; his turn ends immediately after scoring! ...On his next turn, the player will select a new Race and Special Power combo from among those now available to him. He then follows the same rules used during the first turn of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
OneBagTravel wrote:
Sea faring races and Halfings are the only ones who can technically do this if the situation is there. But based on the normal rules, they have to be on the edge of the map.

I have no idea what question you are answering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah and that's why I don't understand your answer. Seafaring doesn't grant any special start ability other than being able to start in the sea but that's only by virtue of the fact that the sea is on the edge of the board and when combined with seafaring's ability to hold water regions becomes a viable region to conquer.

Further Flying also lets you enter the board anywhere you want and does not need to follow the initial starting rules. In the base game (there are more in SWU) Halflings and Flying are the only 2 abilities which allow you to enter the board not next to the edge and not next to the Sea.

Admittedly the question itself makes no sense either:

Quote:
I have looked for the answer to my question, but just cannot find. When bringing on a new race, can a player conquer a territory adjacent to your in-decline race and not your current race?

If you are brining on a new race ANYWHERE you place will be a territory not adjacent to your current race so any race can technically conquer a territory adjacent to your in-decline race and not your current race as long as that region is on the edge of the board (or Sea) and next to your indeclined race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious why OBT necro'ed a handful of threads. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Admittedly the question itself makes no sense either:

Quote:

So when you bring on a new race, you have to enter from the edge (generally) but from there you have to expand to adjacent territories (generally). I think he was talking about the second part of that.

To paraphrase that into the question I think he was asking: When expanding my active race (not entering for the first time), can I expand into a territory that is not adjacent to any of my active race's territories but is next adjacent to my in-decline race?

The answer is "no."

(Which I'm sure you knew.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
I'm curious why OBT necro'ed a handful of threads. ^_^

Because obviously we still had things to say on these topics!
I have to say though, the original question is VERY unclear.
Can a player enter (or is it expanding he's asking about?) next to your decline race but not your active race? As it's worded, the answer is: of course. There's no rule that limits where other players enter in relation to either of your races. It's odd, so clearly I'm not reading the OP's question the way he meant it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NinjaMike wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's perfectly fine to conquer a territory next to your decline race. The rule book does not impose any restriction on such proximity. The main thing is that the territory, you are wanting to conquer, should be adjacent to your *active* race. Being adjacent to your race in decline too does not hamper your ability to conquer it in any way. At least this is how I read it. So yes, a player CAN conquer a territory next to their in-decline race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zespri wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's perfectly fine to conquer a territory next to your decline race. The rule book does not impose any restriction on such proximity. The main thing is that the territory, you are wanting to conquer, should be adjacent to your *active* race. Being adjacent to your race in decline too does not hamper your ability to conquer it in any way. At least this is how I read it. So yes, a player CAN conquer a territory next to their in-decline race.

You're not wrong in your answer but I think you're asking the wrong question, at least to the way I understood it.

You seem to be answering the question of whether a player's in-decline race limits his selection of territories to conquer with his active race. While I think OP was asking whether a player's in-decline race expands the player's options for territories to conquer.

The question as I understood it is:
seanmwest wrote:
When expanding my active race (not entering for the first time), can I expand into a territory that is not adjacent to any of my active race's territories but is adjacent to my in-decline race?

The answer to this is "no, you cannot expand into that territory."

In other words, a player's in-decline race has no bearing on which territories that player can conquer with their active race. The in-decline race neither hinders a player (as you point out), nor gives them any more options when selecting a territory to conquer (which is what I think OP was asking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmwest wrote:
In other words, a player's in-decline race has no bearing on which territories that player can conquer with their active race. The in-decline race neither hinders a player (as you point out), nor gives them any more options when selecting a territory to conquer (which is what I think OP was asking).

That's how I read the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.