Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE 11/15: 88% Full - WOW! YEAH! Happy, Happy Happy! (Begging really does work ) I love it when a community comes together. Thank you all for volunteering. Please check your geekmail for the "Training Handbook".

And again, to those who still aren't sure if they want to help out, please stop by the library during the convention and ask the librarians what they are doing and you will be surprised at how easy and fun this opportunity is for all involved. (And if there is a blank spot available on the schedule, write your name in.)

See you in a few days!!!
Kristine
BGG Library

UPDATE 11/8: 68% Full - Now I'm almost in begging mode - Saturday and Sunday still need lots of help. If we can't get at least 3 people in each time slot, I will start requesting individuals to change shifts.

UPDATE 11/2: 57% Full - Saturday and Sunday still need lots of help. The Official Schedule in the BGG.CON Wiki is pretty much set at this point, so plan some time to help in the library. REMEMBER: the library doesn't happen without your help.

UPDATE 10/25: 52% Full - Need lots of help Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. REMEMBER: the library doesn't happen without your help.

UPDATE 10/18: 42% Full - still plenty of slots available (especially Friday, Saturday and Sunday) to help out. If you need to plan around the other events, please see the Official Schedule located in the BGG.CON Wiki.

Time to sign up for volunteering in the BGG.CON Library.

Step 1: Check the BGG.CON wiki page for the most up to date information about scheduling and anything else related to BGG.CON.
BGG.CON

Step 2: Check the wiki page to see slots available.
BGG_CON_2013_Library_Volunteers

Step 3: Click "Edit" at the top of the wiki page and fill in your name and BGG username under the appropriate time slot

For example:
Quote:

!Wednesday
!Helper #1
!Helper #2
!Helper #3
!Helper #4
|-
|10am-11am
| Kristine Anderson ([username = Kristine]) with no spaces on either side of the "=" sign
|
|
|
|-
|11am-12pm
| Kristine Anderson ([username = Kristine]) with no spaces on either side of the "=" sign
|
|
Then click SAVE at the bottom of the page. If you do not click Save, you just lost your spot.

Step 4: Look for a geekmail in early November with software instructions and any other questions you might have.

Step 5: Show up and have fun.

Notes:

Library Hours:
Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. (yes, after midnight)
Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Saturday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Sunday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (Mid-day)

I am looking for 3-4 people per time slot. Some helpers will run the 2 computers for checking-in and checking-out games. During any possible free time, you will also be charged with straightening games on the shelves, replacing missing parts, print missing rule sheets, etc. There will also be an assigned member of Team Geek on hand during each shift to help with any computer issues, answer questions, and fill in as needed.

The BGG.CON Library is the pride and joy of BGG.CON and it's all made possible with your help.

Thank you,
Kristine
BGG Store/BGG.CON Library
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.CON 2013 Library Sign-Up
Kristine,
John (
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
) and I arrive Tuesday night at about 7 pm. Do you need help Tuesday night at all?

JAZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come find me or someone with a radio attached to their hip or ear and we can let you know what we need.

Thanks,
Kristine

JuliaZ wrote:
Kristine,
John (
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
) and I arrive Tuesday night at about 7 pm. Do you need help Tuesday night at all?

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be able to help as well, depending on how long it takes us to get settled in after we arrive.

Kristine wrote:
Come find me or someone with a radio attached to their hip or ear and we can let you know what we need.

Thanks,
Kristine

JuliaZ wrote:
Kristine,
John (
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE 10/18: 42% Full - still plenty of slots available (especially Friday, Saturday and Sunday) to help out. If you need to plan around the other events, please see the Official Schedule located in the BGG.CON Wiki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE 10/25: 52% Full - Need lots of help Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. REMEMBER: the library doesn't happen without your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.CON 2013 Library Sign-Up - 57% Full
UPDATE 11/2: 57% Full - Saturday and Sunday still need lots of help. The Official Schedule in the BGG.CON Wiki is pretty much set at this point, so plan some time to help in the library. REMEMBER: the library doesn't happen without your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.CON 2013 Library Sign-Up - 68% Full
UPDATE 11/8: 68% Full - Now I'm almost in begging mode - Saturday and Sunday still need lots of help. If we can't get at least 3 people in each time slot, I will start requesting individuals to change shifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.CON 2013 Library Sign-Up - 68% Full
Kristine wrote:
Kristine, I will definitely pick up some more shifts once I get to Texas and figure out what's happening when in a few of the little groups I want to do stuff with. I volunteered a total of 25 hours last con, and that was too much, so I'm strongly resisting the urge to jump on several more hours.

If everyone who even skimmed this thread did ONE hour in the library, you'd have too many people for the slots you've got... just saying, folks, if you love having the library consider giving up
ONE HOUR
You will have fun and you will see what the REAL hot games are... there were some surprises for me last year.
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.CON 2013 Library Sign-Up - 76% Full
UPDATE 11/11: 76% Full - So happy that we are almost full. But it's time for just a little bit of begging . . . cry We need help desperately at the following days/times:
Friday, 8pm-9pm, 9pm-10pm, and 12am-1am
Saturday, Noon-1pm, 7pm-8pm, and 12am-1am
Sunday, 8am-9am, 9am-10am, and Noon-1pm (to help collect the last few games and straighten shelves for packing up)

To those who have already signed up, thank you, and be looking for a geekmail later this week with general library organization helps and software instructions.

If you haven't signed up yet, please do so by Wednesday evening so you can get the "Training Handbook" via geekmail.

To those who still aren't sure if they want to help out, please stop by the library during the convention and ask the librarians what they are doing and you will be surprised at how easy and fun this opportunity is for all involved. (And if there is a blank spot available on the schedule, write your name in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Working in the library really is great fun. Everyone coming through there has either just played a game (and has an opinion on it) or looking for a game (knows what they want and can tell you why, or is just looking for something, and you can make recommendations). It's a great opportunity to "give back" and at the same time get so much out of an hour of your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jeppson
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first BGG.Con was last year, and my wife and I LOVED volunteering at the library. It is weird to admit that it was one of the highlights of the convention for us. It really is a fun time, and it helps us feel like we are contributing to enjoyment of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Stemberger
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first for the convention, and I was actually sad that I didn't know about the library volunteer signup when I showed up and saw how it all worked. This year I made sure to grab some spots. I would suggest it for anybody who likes to help and/or learn about some great games!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lane
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
My Christian fraternity brothers mattress surfing at Summit (nationwide gathering)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just took 8-10 on Friday...never been before, so I was gonna not volunteer til next year, but what the heck, everyone else says it's fun, so why not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kristine wrote:
UPDATE 11/11: 76% Full - So happy that we are almost full. But it's time for just a little bit of begging . . . cry
This is quite surprising, and really sad.

We've got more folks attending than ever before, and yet the library volunteers are way down.

And yes, it's great fun, and the time just flies by. Hopefully we'll get a few more folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to remove an hour due to a schedule event, but I made up for it by adding two hours on Sunday! I hope that's okay. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lanejustin wrote:
Just took 8-10 on Friday...never been before, so I was gonna not volunteer til next year, but what the heck, everyone else says it's fun, so why not.
Last year was my first year, and I actually found it oddly HELPFUL to me to do a few library shifts... I got to meet some of the Geek jersey folks, it forced me out of my shyness to interact with a whole bunch of new-to-me people, and I definitely found a few games I wanted to play that I would have never considered on my own.

Thanks for volunteering... I look forward to meeting you, and not just for the Tito's.
whistle
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lane
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
My Christian fraternity brothers mattress surfing at Summit (nationwide gathering)
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
lanejustin wrote:
Last year was my first year, and I actually found it oddly HELPFUL to me to do a few library shifts... I got to meet some of the Geek jersey folks, it forced me out of my shyness to interact with a whole bunch of new-to-me people, and I definitely found a few games I wanted to play that I would have never considered on my own.

Thanks for volunteering... I look forward to meeting you, and not just for the Tito's.
whistle
JAZ
Thanks for the reminder...I plan on picking it up today on my way to a game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lanejustin wrote:
Yay! I have a partner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE 11/15: 88% Full - WOW! YEAH! Happy, Happy Happy! (Begging really does work ) I love it when a community comes together. Thank you all for volunteering. Please check your geekmail for the "Training Handbook".

And again, to those who still aren't sure if they want to help out, please stop by the library during the convention and ask the librarians what they are doing and you will be surprised at how easy and fun this opportunity is for all involved. (And if there is a blank spot available on the schedule, write your name in.)

See you in a few days!!!
Kristine
BGG Library
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Kristine, I didn't want to cause panic anywhere, but I have to ask...
WHY were 99% of the duplicated games in the library culled? And where did they go?

There were so many times that ALL 2, 3, or even 4 copies of a game were checked out and someone was sad because they wanted to check out yet another copy... if we only have ONE copy of each game, many more people will be... sad.

There are epic-game folks organizing that are PLANNING to play the 2 or 3 library copies of particular games all at once...

I hate to say it, but I think this is not going to work very well. Are they hiding within a 30-minute drive so they can be brought to the hotel and shelved in a 1-hour volunteer-frenzy marathon?

I know 3500 games take an insane amount of space and effort to move... we have about 800 in our house... but I do think that multiple copies of the more popular older games are needed by 2000 people. One Ticket to Ride? One Power Grid? One Love Letter? One Bohnanza? One The Castles of Burgundy?
cry

I wish I lived closer so I could help during the year. I get that it's easy to complain from afar... but the gigantic library is one of the biggest draws for us to BGG.Con and I know that's true for many others as well.

I will do what I can to make things go smoothly but I'll admit to being worried...

JAZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
In an effort to stave off said panic, let me try to assuage your fears.

1 We track usage, and we have kept duplicates of those games that actually get checked out.
2 This year we have only removed duplicates - the number of unique titles has not decreased and continues to grow as new games are added.
3 This only applies to the alphabetical portion of the library - the new games (blue barcodes) will have 2 or more copies.
4 When adding 5-600 games a year to the collection, sometimes we have to make choices. There are larger logistics and costs involved and it's more important to us to have "all" the new games than duplicates of previous years games.
5 It has always been the case that if you're planning a specific game, it's a good idea to bring your own copy as the library copy (copies) may all be checked out when it's time for your game and we really frown on checking out a game first-thing Wednesday morning that you've scheduled to play Friday night, just to make sure you have a copy secured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
....we really frown on checking out a game first-thing Wednesday morning that you've scheduled to play Friday night, just to make sure you have a copy secured.
The rest of us REALLLY frown on it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lane
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just switched with
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: Texas Rangers fanMicrobadge: I love TexasMicrobadge: Splatoon fanMicrobadge: Cat lover
on Thursday...he is now taking 9-10, I'm taking 11-12. I messaged them first to make sure this was ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something occurred to me looking at the schedule: The library opens at 10am, but that's also when registration opens. How do people who are doing the early shifts get their badges if they're supposed to be on-station when registration opens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |