Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, allow me to emphasize the "slightly" in my topic title. My purpose in beginning this discussion is simply to gather some suggestions for my next few game purchases. I say I am slightly dead ended because I do have a decent enough list of games I want to own. I just am not sure which one to go for first.

to offer a frame of reference I can say what my current favorite games are.

7 Wonders (with Leaders and Cities): I love the variety of strategies offered, the risk management offered by the drafting mechanic, the way it keeps you thinking/planning on your toes due to the frequent shift of available options

Eclipse (with RotA)

Glory to Rome (black box)

Lords of Waterdeep (with Scoundrels of Skullport)

My list of desires at the moment consists of:

Kingdom Builder
Puerto Rico (anniversary ed.)
Boss Monster
Game of Thrones (2nd ed.)
Smash Up
Kill Doctor Lucky
Ticket to Ride

So what recommendations can you offer me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your game buddies are more fun loving and like games with a luck / skill combination, then you can't go wrong with Ticket to Ride. If you buy the US version, get the 1910 expansion too. After hundreds of plays, my family can play a game of TTR as fast as 7 Wonders.
If your group is more into strategy games, then Puerto Rico might be best.

I started out with more strategy games (PR, Caylus, Power Grid), but am now more focused on Family games as my wife prefers those. Kingsburg and Airlines Europe are also very good.
I think my next game (Christmas gift) will be Flash Point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is definitely the best choice out of the list you present, assuming of course that you have capable, willing opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones is definitely the best choice out of the list you present, assuming of course that you have capable, willing opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cartoon Network Adult Swim fanMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: "The Universe, what a concept."Microbadge: "Rip didle-ip dip dip dip it's your birthday!"Microbadge: "For your health!"
From your list, I'd definitely rank Puerto Rico first followed by Ticket to Ride then Kingdom Builder. That's based on a very quick judgment on the types of games you enjoy from your post.

If you're looking for some new recommendations, again based on the little info from your post, you may also want to try The Castles of Burgundy, Lancaster, Kingsburg or Wallenstein (second edition).

Most of these have some sort of worker placement element and are along the lines of Lords of Waterdeep and Puerto Rico. With the exception of Kingsburg, which I consider a bit lighter, these are all heavy in strategy. But even Kingsburg has some strategic depth, if not quite as much as the others.

Wallenstein is especially rich, imo. It adds the layer of area control with head to head confrontation and interaction. It's one of my favs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kill Doctor Lucky and Ticket to Ride may be too simple. 7 Wonders is not much heavier than TTR, but Glory to Rome and Eclipse definitely are.

A Game of Thrones is an interesting title to throw into that list. It's not really a eurogame in any real sense. That might be a vote in it's favour, since it's sufficiently distinct from what you have already.

What's the intended goal here? If it's to have a game of shifting goals and player interaction, then have you considered Cosmic Encounter? If you have a group that is mature enough to handle A Game of Thrones (i.e., cope with good-natured backstabbing) then Cosmic should be a breeze, and it's a lot shorter. I've only met one person who didn't love Cosmic, and that was because it "caused too many arguments" - which I really can't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
From your list, I'd definitely rank Puerto Rico first followed by Ticket to Ride then Kingdom Builder. That's based on a very quick judgment on the types of games you enjoy from your post.

If you're looking for some new recommendations, again based on the little info from your post, you may also want to try The Castles of Burgundy, Lancaster, Kingsburg or Wallenstein (second edition).

Most of these have some sort of worker placement element and are along the lines of Lords of Waterdeep and Puerto Rico. With the exception of Kingsburg, which I consider a bit lighter, these are all heavy in strategy. But even Kingsburg has some strategic depth, if not quite as much as the others.

Wallenstein is especially rich, imo. It adds the layer of area control with head to head confrontation and interaction. It's one of my favs.
I agree...castles of burgundy and kingsburg. Another game you should think about is Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

Instead of Puerto Rico, you should buy San Juan very much the same game, but quicker...and less scripted...I mean more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder is definitely the best choice out of the list you present, assuming of course that you have capable, willing opponents.

Can you test them out somehow? Can you arrange a game with people outside your usual group? The best option is to try them out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for the most part the goal of this is to just get some reinforcement/confirmation that the games I've set out to buy already are indeed worth it. and also to maybe have my interest stirred by something I hadn't considered or tried out for myself.

In response to the recommendation for cosmic encounter, I humbly admit that I hate with a passion that game. I agree the what Sam from dice tower says about it, that it's offers very little aside from the elements of negotiation and luck. I just do not get along with negotiation/political based games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going to add in Seasons, take a look at some of the reviews cos they explained the game better than i could.

It has drafting and requires elements(resources) to summon the items and minions.

Fwiw, smash up is a good enough non serious game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo
Seasons
Ninjato
Kingsburg
Cyclades
Alien Frontiers
Galaxy Trucker
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is definitely the best choice out of the list you present, assuming of course that you have capable, willing opponents.

Puerto Rico is winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Puerto Rico is winning.
Agree, however, PR will only shine if you're willing to put in the time with it. Due to relatively simple but deep strategy elements, Puerto Rico gets better and better the more you play. If you don't have people willing to experiment with strategies and learn the game with you, you won't realize it's full potential. It is very easy for an experienced player to destroy a rookie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster is a great option. Plenty of meat, easy to learn and a fast playing time, even with five.

In fact, I'd recommend any of Matthias Cramer's games, Glen More and Helvetia are also excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get Race for the Galaxy instead of Puerto Rico. It has the same type of role selections and it also has generating goods to be sold or consumed for points. But I think Race is more replayable than Puerto Rico and also Race does not suffer from turn order issues like Puerto Rico does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I would get Race for the Galaxy instead of Puerto Rico. It has the same type of role selections and it also has generating goods to be sold or consumed for points. But I think Race is more replayable than Puerto Rico and also Race does not suffer from turn order issues like Puerto Rico does.
Rftg is my favorite, but puerto rico is right there. Rftg also supports 2-6 with first two expansions. Puerto rico is best with four.

If you like lords of waterdeep, i highly recommend the manhattan project. I will never go back to waterdeep, or really any other worker placement now that i have played manhattan project. It pretty much fixes everything anyone has ever complained about in worker placement.

Game of thrones, ticket to ride and kingdom builder are some of my lowest rated games, you can check my comments if you want to know why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing the reasons you like 7 wonders, you may just want to go with Among the Stars which, in my opinion, is the evolution of 7 wonders with many more strategies and much more replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls