United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, my group and played Quest 4 of Vanilla Descent: The Spoiled Brat. This was my second time playing the quest as overlord, my usual role in the game. I had an inkling that this game was going to be a blowout in the heroes favor, but was pleasantly surprised by the turn of events. The heroes breezed through the start area, as they are wont to do in almost any game. There were four of them: Silhouette, Mordrog, Battlemage Jaes, and Okaluk and Rakash. Notable skills: Battlemage Jaes had Boggs the Rat, which was used to decent effect most of the game, and O&R had the card that drains me of one threat per turn. A formidable effect, to say the least.

After clearing the start area, they chose (to my dismay) to go to Area 2 instead of Area 1, meaning that they would be able to get the Runekey faster than not. I was able to kill one of the heroes by sneaking a Beastman War Party through the other start area door that they foolishly didn't open. However, with the many, many glyphs and conquest tokens available in this quest, It was enough to get them down to three. I tried to kill them before accessing the Area 2 glyph, but failed. A Dark Charm card allowed me to kill a second hero, but it was not enough. With silver weapons, they blew through my Naga, Ogres, and other monsters in the Runekey room, and headed down to the other room to clear it as well.

By this time I had DOOM!, Hordes of Things, and Brilliant Commander, not my normal strategy, but I did not draw Evil Genius (more on this later). I knocked off a third hero worth 4 conquest tokens in this third Area. However, the heroes weren't much in danger of losing b/c I was so unable to spawn w/ Boggs the Rat hanging around. They used the glyph to transport to town, shop, and buff, then they transported back to the middle room and headed to area 1. They ran and activated the glyph, cleared out the area, and headed to the Runekey door, Area 6. By now they had 12 conquest tokens. They opened the door and attacked.

Now I was at the bottom of my deck, wondering why I a) had never drawn Evil Genius, and b) had an odd number of cards in my deck instead of even. I checked the card box, and to my dismay, discovered I had accidentally left it in the box. GAHHHH!!!!!!! The heroes attacked my dragon, but could not slay him. B/c they had focused all their efforts on him, this left a plentiful amount of monsters in the room. I attacked with them all, killing two heroes for 6 CQ, and attacking a the other two, whom, due to some unfortunate misses, I could not kill. I went through my deck, removed 3 more CQ, and watched as the heroes slew Graaz the Dragon, and took a dump right in the middle of my clean dungeon floor....

Yay.

My mistakes:

1. Obviously, leaving Evil Genius in the box.

2. Playing Dark Charm too soon. Should have waited until the magic hero had a more powerful blast weapon to attack multiple heroes.

3. I had a chance to make it really difficult to enter Area 6 w/ Crushing Block and a spiked pit, but I forgot to play the spiked pit.

Final thoughts: Quest 4 is a pretty solid, balanced quest. The boss takes several hits to kill, and the largeness of the map makes for a great time for both parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I recall this Quest being a good one, not so much the rooms, but the hordes of Spawned monsters setting up to block the route. A real hit & run battle.

also a great rolling boulder flattening 3 heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls