BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Looking for printing services for a CCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben G.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hi, I created an account here because I feel like you guys know your stuff.

I'm in my last year at university and for my final project I decided to make a CCG. Currently, I'm looking for printing services, but to stay true to the ones I've researched, I'd love to find one that can print some foil cards so the "rare" cards can be holofoil. Does anyone know of printing services that can do this? I'd be very grateful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need to negotiate with a print shop for that. I imagine you'll need a print run of thousands to make that cost effective.

If you want prototypes or lower quantities, printerstudio.com does great work for very reasonable prices. No foil, but they will make single decks of as few as 54 cards (or even just 10 tarot sized cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seconding chris here

but if you need 'rares' (foil question aside) use printerstudio.com and print a deck that has just copies of your rare cards in them (5 of X, 6 of Y etc...). then once the decks arrive you can shuffle individual cards from this rares deck into the standard decks randomly distributing them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aerjen Tamminga
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also recommend printerstudio for getting prototypes ready. By the time that you're ready to do your 5000+ print run (please. please, please make sure you pay for that after raising funds from pre orders) you can look at Cartamundi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'll look into this site then! Thanks!

I also apologize, I wasn't very clear. I'm not going to be making like 5000+ cards per se, just around 300-400 ish for the senior project itself. I also need to print packaging, rulebooks, etc. It's kind of a short run project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then at those numbers foils just won't be happening. They will cost many times more than the rest of the project put together.

A few hundred cards is just a prototype, from ArtsCow or somewhere. proper CCG printers aren't going to be involved until tens of thousands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Really? Damn... There goes one idea out the door, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so use a rubber stamp that you can buy at Staples for $10 with some scrapbooker's ink that you can rub gold foil onto (or maybe it is a powder you sprinkle on which sticks to the ink. you can get it at Michaels or Jo Ann's Craft Store) after.

do a black line image with a shield or seal or something and take that to get the stamp made. won't be all foil limited edition comic book style but at least it will be shiny and different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to get foil effects if you make them yourself is to use a product that fuses to toner, like so: https://www.google.com/search?q=toner+foil&tbm=isch

You'd have to design these carefully, or adding the foil will require excessively precise work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to a local print shop, not a mega chain like Kinkos, but an actual print shop and start asking around how you can add foil effects there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauss
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to some printers and see what machines they are using.
For a cheap alternative. I know that the Xerox 800 and 1000 printers have an optional clear toner that can be placed selectively over an area of a print. The clear layer adds depth and a shinier look than the standard matte layer.
If you designed specific parts of your cards to utilize the clear toner that would give you a look possibly similar to modern foiling. Or at leas they would have something that separates them from other cards.

For example if in your card design where you want a foil look you can do a color mix of gold or silver and then add the clear toner coat which would give it a shine like foiling.

The company I work for has the machines capable of doing that, but alas my sales people don't know how to sell it so it is a function that has never been used.

From the Xerox selling brochure...

With Clear Dry Ink, you can address specific areas on your printed piece or flood an entire sheet, enabling you to:
Blah...blah...blah and...
Simulate pearlescent or metallic appearance
Followed by more blah blah blah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
If the idea is to have chase rares to demonstrate an idea, you could accomplish it with alternate art, full bleed, or any number of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeeFB wrote:
Hi, I created an account here because I feel like you guys know your stuff.

I'm in my last year at university and for my final project I decided to make a CCG. Currently, I'm looking for printing services, but to stay true to the ones I've researched, I'd love to find one that can print some foil cards so the "rare" cards can be holofoil. Does anyone know of printing services that can do this? I'd be very grateful!
Check out what
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
did here.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1012016/custom-made-foil-dif...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls