Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Card Organization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
Microbadge: Geek-Craft.com fanMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My Game Collection
Let's say I picked up an Ultra Pro Pro Binder today for my Attack Wing cards to flip through them easier. Let's also say that I didn't think about it before buying it and I'm now wondering how best to organize it.

shake

Does anyone have any suggestions? It doesn't have a normal ring binder but instead is pages that are stitched together. I was originally planning one page facing per ship, giving me 40 ships worth of pages, but now I see that the starter Enterprise D has 12 cards. Even if I stack the ship cards and the movement card, I'm still a card over. This also doesn't play nicely for the OP kit cards or the Gen Con Khan card.

The definition of a Nerd World Problem, I know, but I'm looking for ideas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Avatar
I'm sure there will reach a point where I will put my cards in binders. When I do, I'm going to organize them by type. Since you can put whomever and whatever on a ship, that's probably the best way to go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same binder and here's what I do. It's really easy to open straight to the middle, so I make use of that.

Front pages: ships, 2 pages each for Federation, Klingon, Romulan, then the rest (since I know I'll collect more ships of the "big 3" than other factions they need the most pages) - each ship takes 1 row, so the first slot is the maneuver card, then the named ship, then the generic ship.

Turn to the middle, on the left page and turning towards the front are Captains, 1 page of Captains per faction. On the right are crew, turning towards the back, 1-2 pages per faction. After crew are 2 pages for torpedoes, 2 pages for Elite Talents, and 1 page for tech.

Back: missions

This makes it really easy to look at ships, Captains, and crew. Picking tech, talents, and torpedoes are a little more work but still only take a couple of extra page turns to find.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this and being at a few OPs, I must be the only person that uses MTG-sized card sleeves to sleeve all the cards. They are faction color-coded of course, with clear sleeves for the Missions and Resources. I have them organized by faction and then card type. Then I use the Ultra Pro Pro-Dual deck boxes (two at the moment) to hold all my cards and my sleeved damage deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
After reading this and being at a few OPs, I must be the only person that uses MTG-sized card sleeves to sleeve all the cards. They are faction color-coded of course, with clear sleeves for the Missions and Resources. I have them organized by faction and then card type. Then I use the Ultra Pro Pro-Dual deck boxes (two at the moment) to hold all my cards and my sleeved damage deck.
I too use Ultra Pro sleeves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve all of my cards and put them in cheap plastic card boxes I got at Office Depot. I sort them by faction, lumping the Ferengi in with the Romulans since I don't have much Ferengi stuff. I also have a couple of boxes to hold currently-built teams.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
Microbadge: Geek-Craft.com fanMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My Game Collection
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. I have mine sleeved in Ultra Pro sleeves as well, and was considering color coding them. My FLGS has a nice variety of sleeve colors, so I could likely get something for each of the 11 factions, along with clear for reference and mission cards.

What I realize now is that I should get regular card sleeve sheets that hold 9 cards that go into a binder so I can add / change around card locations as will. But then I still have to move cards when cards get added.

Damnit, why isn't there a holodeck program for this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mbmb
If you wanted to be strictly rational about organizing the cards in a binder, there's no reason to keep them ordered by set, as you can move cards freely within a faction.

If you are actually flipping through the binders to make fleets, it might be best to have ships (in descending order of point cost), then Captains (as you always need them) and Elite Talents, followed by Tech, Weapons, and Crew sorted by point value.

Just a suggestion - but right now I keep mine sorted by sets as well just to make inventory easier.

The problem with this method is it does require re-organizing the whole faction when you get a new ship.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:

If you are actually flipping through the binders to make fleets, it might be best to have ships (in descending order of point cost), then Captains (as you always need them) and Elite Talents, followed by Tech, Weapons, and Crew sorted by point value.
I keep mine organized similarly. The only differences are that I keep the first 3 pages open for creating fleets, and put all the ship movement cards together in the back pages so I can reference all of them easier simultaneously. I'm sure I'll have to reorganize it periodically, but that happens anyway while fleet building.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
Microbadge: Geek-Craft.com fanMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My Game Collection
Ghostrunner wrote:
If you wanted to be strictly rational about organizing the cards in a binder, there's no reason to keep them ordered by set, as you can move cards freely within a faction.

If you are actually flipping through the binders to make fleets, it might be best to have ships (in descending order of point cost), then Captains (as you always need them) and Elite Talents, followed by Tech, Weapons, and Crew sorted by point value.

Just a suggestion - but right now I keep mine sorted by sets as well just to make inventory easier.

The problem with this method is it does require re-organizing the whole faction when you get a new ship.
That's been my thinking. Wish I could get the pages from the binder but have them able to be reorganized like in a normal three ring binder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mbmb
Not sure where you are located, but Target here in the states sells binder-holed card pages.

They are 9 spots to a page (like the binder you are using) and the pouches will take a card in a sleeve.

They are usually with the baseball cards.

I bought a ton of them for my Star Wars Miniatures cards, and kept them all in a hurkin' zip-up 3-ring binder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
Microbadge: Geek-Craft.com fanMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My Game Collection
Ghostrunner wrote:
Not sure where you are located, but Target here in the states sells binder-holed card pages.

They are 9 spots to a page (like the binder you are using) and the pouches will take a card in a sleeve.

They are usually with the baseball cards.

I bought a ton of them for my Star Wars Miniatures cards, and kept them all in a hurkin' zip-up 3-ring binder.
My FLGS has those as well, I believe. I'll double check the next time I'm there.

Ghostrunner wrote:
hurkin'
You speak Klingon?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have them with me to compare, but are the cards standard baseball card sized? They'll fit in a normal 9-pocket trading card page?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
Microbadge: Geek-Craft.com fanMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My Game Collection
They're standard Magic size.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mbmb
grifta67 wrote:
I don't have them with me to compare, but are the cards standard baseball card sized? They'll fit in a normal 9-pocket trading card page?

-Sean
Yep - same size.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls