Subject: Finally won a game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.Microbadge: Boston Bruins fanMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: "I work in a shoe store, I make less than minimum wage, and yet I'm not happy to be home."-AlMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I got this for my birthday last week, and after about 10 games i finally won my first game! It came down to the wire too. I only needed the 2nd green door, and i managed to get it with only 3 cards left to draw. A green sun, and 2 nightmare cards. I think this is a very engaging solo game, and the quick play time is a definite plus.

I think i may look into getting Urbion as well. I just hope it is as good as this one has turned out to be for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Johann Sebastian Bach fanMicrobadge: Ansel Adams fanMicrobadge: C. S. Lewis fanMicrobadge: MethodistMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Congratulations! It isn't easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Story Realms fanMicrobadge: Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule! fanMicrobadge: I backed Tiny Epic Galaxies on KickstarterMicrobadge: Battle For Souls fan - I play on the side of Heaven
Urbion is a bit more 'mathematical' in feel but has the same type of tension. Really enjoyable if you like that though... Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.Microbadge: Boston Bruins fanMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: "I work in a shoe store, I make less than minimum wage, and yet I'm not happy to be home."-AlMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
It really isn't as easy as it seems. I think i will try to get a few more wins under my belt before i try the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah, i saw the Drivethrureview video on Urbion. It seems cool, but definitely has a little more math type feel to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Congratulations on the win!
Urbion is math-y. Onirim is the better game for that dreamy feeling.
And Onirim is best with all the expansions in full swing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I know Shady Torbey has another game in the works as well i will keep an eye on. I think i will like Urbion, but i will wait to play it before i decide which one is better mechanically. I do think Onirim has the better theme though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
Microbadge: At the Gates of Loyang fanMicrobadge: 51st State: Master Set fanMicrobadge: After the VirusMicrobadge: Nusfjord fanMicrobadge: Phalanxx fan
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Hey, John. I like Onirim a lot myself, but I found playing with all three expansions at once to be a bit lackluster. It almost felt like the challenge was taken away because you can manipulate the deck so much with all three going together. So I keep it to just one or two expansions at a time. It's a great little game either way.

Congrats on the win, Shaun!

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mo7189 wrote:
Hey, John. I like Onirim a lot myself, but I found playing with all three expansions at once to be a bit lackluster. It almost felt like the challenge was taken away because you can manipulate the deck so much with all three going together. So I keep it to just one or two expansions at a time. It's a great little game either way.

Mo
Thanks! I got this and Friday. I haven't a game of Friday yet, but i really enjoy both of these. I have been into solo gaming alot lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mo7189 wrote:

Mo
Hey, Mo. How do you know I'm John?

My favorite part of Onirim is manipulating the deck and that's another aspect I sorely missed in Urbion.

Gawd, it's been so long since I've played a game of Onririm, but I recall the detrimental cards in the expansions and having to anticipate their penalties ahead of time and spending discards like mana or currency to change the fates. I just loved manipulating the top and bottom of the draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
Microbadge: At the Gates of Loyang fanMicrobadge: 51st State: Master Set fanMicrobadge: After the VirusMicrobadge: Nusfjord fanMicrobadge: Phalanxx fan
Kreator82 wrote:
mo7189 wrote:

Mo
Thanks! I got this and Friday. I haven't a game of Friday yet, but i really enjoy both of these. I have been into solo gaming alot lately.
I love Friday! Great game.

And you should come back to the Solitaire Games on Your Table geeklists. Haven't seen you there in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mo7189 wrote:

Mo
Hey, Mo. How do you know I'm John?

My favorite part of Onirim is manipulating the deck and that's another aspect I sorely missed in Urbion.

Gawd, it's been so long since I've played a game of Onririm, but I recall the detrimental cards in the expansions and having to anticipate their penalties ahead of time and spending discards like mana or currency to change the fates. I just loved manipulating the top and bottom of the draw pile.
You've got a link to when you were GotW on your Profile page.

Yeah, it's taken me a while to start to enjoy Urbion. It was a disappointment at first. Slowly (very slowly), it's growing on me. But I still find Onirim more interesting and fun. It just feels like you can do more in Onirim than in Urbion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah, i haven't been at the geeklist for awhile because i haven't been playing games as often as i would like to. I am in the process of trying to decide which solo's to get next. I got these ones for my birthday and all are awesome.

Friday
Onirim
Elder Sign

Thinking about Space Hulk Death Angel, Urbion, Zulus on the Ramparts, and MAYBE one of the Air Leader series, but they are too damn expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
Kreator82 wrote:
Yeah, i haven't been at the geeklist for awhile because i haven't been playing games as often as i would like to. I am in the process of trying to decide which solo's to get next. I got these ones for my birthday and all are awesome.

Friday
Onirim
Elder Sign

Thinking about Space Hulk Death Angel, Urbion, Zulus on the Ramparts, and MAYBE one of the Air Leader series, but they are too damn expensive.
I like SH: DA a lot - fun, challenging, portable, and a nice price. The POD expansions are good too if/when you want to add more of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
There is a good chance i will like SHA, so if i do get it i might say they hell with it and grab some expansions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls