Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
Yes ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it's that time of the year again.

The various BGG Secret Santa events will all be rolling out in the near future.

I am willing to run the exchange again this year, but if anyone else wants to step up and take charge I'd be happy to let you do so.

Last year we had 148 people in the pool.

Last year we closed registration on the 11th of November (a fitting date), but there was one very vocal complaint that it was too close to the closing of the GMT fall sale.

Therefore signups will be closed earlier.

Last year's rules were:

The sound of battle...bombs, guns, cannons, spears, and jingle-bells!

I can't wait!

So here's the 2012 Santa Grogs Geek Exchange!

Rules:

Common rules are the same as the official 2012 Secret Santa (see below).

Basically, when the deadline arrives everyone will receive a trade notification from Santa Grogs and a target. You will hunt that target and purchase something for them from their wishlist. Make sure your wishlist (not your trade list) is pretty extensive when it comes to wargames so that there are lots of choices for your Santa. Also, try to include some/lots of older games so that great old classic games can find new homes and be played for all they're worth.

This is Santa Grogs for wargamers, so it's all about trading wargames. I've allowed the exchange to allow people to limit their shipping options, but I implore you not to select that option as it will kind of kill the spirit of things.

---

BGG Wargamer Secret Santa Guidelines (aka the fine print)
1.) First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up.

If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority. Those who sign-up but don't send gifts will face the possibility of account privileges being suspended as a result.

2.) You have until Midnight (CST, GMT-6), Sunday November 11th to sign up. If you have second thoughts after signing up, you also have until that deadline to delete your registration.

3.) Keep your wishlist (NOT want list) of games updated. The expectation is that your Santa will send a new game from your wishlist. Please have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist then don't be surprised if you get something that isn't on your list. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4.) When it comes to sending, the expectation is that you will buy a new game from your target's wishlist. The total cost of the games you send (including shipping) should be at least $50 USD. If your wargamer target has a list of classic but out of print games on their wishlist and you have a used copy that you'd be happy to receive as a gift yourself, then that's acceptable too.

There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games. The generous Santas are the best remembered! And you can make it truly special if you can personalize the gift somehow. Examples and ideas can be found in last year's geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74475. Some really nice stuff has been given out!

5.) This is an international Secret Santa. Anyone from any country is welcome to join. As such, recognize that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor international shipping into your gift. We will provide a list of online stores from around the world to help people who get international targets.

Alternatively, you have the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. However I strongly encourage you not to limit yourself as shipping a gift to someone in another country can be a very rewarding experience. While it may add extra costs, the other person will greatly appreciate it - particularly if you can send something that is hard to get where they are from!

Also, if you are from a country that has only a few participants then I also strongly suggest you not limit your country options or you very well may end up with the only other person who entered from your country. The distinctly international flavour of the BGG Secret Santa is one of the best aspects of it, in my opinion.

6.) Most importantly, have fun! This is supposed to be an enriching activity - not a stressful one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I am willing to run the exchange again this year, but if anyone else wants to step up and take charge I'd be happy to let you do so.
Roger, you're a saint.

What exactly is involved in "step[ping] up and tak[ing] charge"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
blinks wrote:
Roger, you're a saint.
Just motivated and organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls