9 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » General

Subject: If I like Munchkin and King of Tokyo - What else would I like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint H
msg tools
Hello,

If I enjoyed Munchkin and King of Tokyo, which other games do you think I'd enjoy? I'm looking for mainly party friendly games, meaning at least four players and fairly casual/simple.

I've recently ordered Boss Monster as well (only two players but it just looked fun.)

I'm also looking at purchasing Elder Sign, even though it doesn't quite fit the description above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up - casual game like those two but bad for players who treat it seriously.

You would want a game which lets you play a character that you can power up. I cant think of any now besides the two you already mentioned. Maybe others can help. You can try opening a thread at the game recommendations forum instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, try The 3 Commandments, The Resistance and Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Friendly?

Bang! scaled well to 9 players at our last party, and then we had a few backup 'fillers' for when people got eliminated such as Guillotine or any other fast playing game. I hear Love Letter and Hive also make great filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Love Letter
Cash 'N' Guns
Guildhall
Hanabi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Suggestions so far. Here are some more.
Rise of Augustus - Gamer Bingo and a new favorite for us
Las Vegas - Simple and fun, and more strategy than all of the dice seem to indicate.
Alea Iacta Est - Don't let the name fool you. This is nice and casual and a lot of fun.
Takenoko - If you can get past the pastels then this is a great game.
Lords of Waterdeep - nothing deep about it except for the name. This is a great casual worker placement game
Stone Age - another great casual worker placement game. Some are put off by the dice. I love them.
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - simple deck builder especially if played co-op.
Bohnanza - simple negotiation game. Can be played friendly or not so much.
Frank's Zoo - nice twist on my favorite type of card game (climbing/shedding games). Looks like a kids game, but isn't. It's still pretty casual though.
For Sale - so simple my youngest can beat me (and always does). A favorite filler.
Tsuro - another filler favorite. Quick and takes a lot of players.
Wyatt Earp - takes Rummy to a whole new thematic level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint H
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll definitely take a closer look into all of those.

Carcassone I've played, and it's really cool. I saw Smash Up on Tabletop and thought it looked interesting.

Sorry, I didn't even realize there was a game suggestions forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is definitely worth taking a look at. It is very Munchkin-like in my opinion. There's a bit of randomness, temporary alliances (which sometimes backfire, and not always on accident), an end-game where everyone is doing everything they can to stop "that person" from winning...

Definitely worth at least looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iidhaegn wrote:
Cosmic Encounter is definitely worth taking a look at. It is very Munchkin-like in my opinion. There's a bit of randomness, temporary alliances (which sometimes backfire, and not always on accident), an end-game where everyone is doing everything they can to stop "that person" from winning...

Definitely worth at least looking at.
I agree that it would be worth looking at. I don't consider it casual, so I didn't recommend it (maybe I should have). The game mechanics are very simple and would be a bit boring without the aliens and flares that mess everything up (in a good way). The game is wonderfully unfair and is almost better described as a social experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls