19 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: To expand or not to expand (and whither?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P. Olon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the reprint of expansion #1 is available again (and I'll be looking to get it very soon), I'm starting to think about what expansions I'll eventually want to own, what will constitute my ideal C&C. So I have a few questions about them...

1) What, for you, are the essential expansions, or your favorites? I'm thinking 1 and 6 are the ones for me — that's just the history I'm more interested in — but I'm curious about which ones other people like, where your historical tastes lay, which expansions you think have the best scenarios, etc.

2) Epic Ancients. At some point, I think I want to get into this as well, but I'm wondering if it's worth it and how many expansions I'd have to buy to do so.

a) Is it playable and fun for two players? Assuming you have only two players (or even just one), what is your preferred way of playing: normal or epic?

b) With what expansions do I get a second board? Do I really have to buy an otherwise outdated or unnecessary epic expansion just to be able to play expansion 5?

c) If I were to buy only expansions 1 and 5 (let's assume I've got a second board), would I be able to play many epic scenarios?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to get a lot of great input. Here's how I might approach it if I were coming at it afresh:

After you get #1, you can then get #6 (Spartans/Hoplites) to round out the Greeks. Since this appears to be your favorite era of classical history, you might get this one next after #1.

If you like the system and want more, then:

The #2/#3 combo will be nice to have to get the Barbarians and a second Roman Army. I don't think the new combo will have a second board nor the first edition Epic rules.

Once you have #1 and the #2/#3 combo, you can get #4 (More Barbarians, Eastern Kingdoms, and a third Roman Army!)

If you get this far, you're a dedicated player. If you still want more, then:

#5 is the Epic Expansion. I think the preprint for this will come with a second board, which you'll need for Epic scenarios. You could pick it up any time you liked, though you might save it for last or after you pick up a second expansion of your choice (like #6). Epic is best suited for an even number of players (4, 6, or 8) but is still great fun with just two dedicated players.

If you just have Expansions #1 and #5, you may find you need to mix the blocks of one army with those of another to round out the number of blocks needed to set up Epic scenarios. You might combine the Blue and Gray blocks for once side against Brown and tan blocks for the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To build on what Brady said, many folks like Epic much more than regular, not only because of the size but the variable nature of the card play.

And the 2/3 combo has some of the most interesting scenarios and a barbarian army that has more than one personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Olon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
And the 2/3 combo has some of the most interesting scenarios and a barbarian army that has more than one personality.

Oh great, and just when I thought I didn't need the barbarians. I'm going to end up having to buy them all, aren't I, as well as a new apartment to keep them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The water is warm... jump on in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My next game: TENNISmind, a simple yet realistic tennis match on your table
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
My period of interest has always been Classical Greece, plus the Punic Wars, and in that case the first step is clear, #1 and #6, before one of them gets OOP. And you'll have Alexander.

But then I liked the game so much that I bought #2 and #3 and those made me read about Rome and the barbarians. As Kevin said, the scenarios are very varied, and in addition having legion vs legion during the Civil Wars makes for battles that look and play great. And you'll have Caesar.

Epic is great, with any number of players. I don't know anyone that likes the base game and doesn't like Epic. The only possible drawbacks are lack of table space and the bit longer playing time. But if you have a big table and time, you should buy it. Having more armies will let you benefit more from the expansion, but you can proxy units.

The last in the list is #4. Many think at that point that they don't need a third Roman army, and I don't think those scenarios are better than the previous ones. But you complete the Persian army, and you have several Roman-Persian clashes, that made me read about that period too! They can be good if you have Epic already, to complete some scenarios, although there are few Epic ones using the 3rd Romans.

You may end up buying them all, but at least choose the order! Add to all this that some will get OOP before others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level EricMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: In MemoriamMicrobadge: I love Mexico!Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming community
I just love Epic. Walter Hunt has arranged annual Epic games at The Gathering of Friends, and it has become one of the things I look forward to each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Anderson
United States
Chagrin Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm on the same road just a few steps ahead. Just got Exp. 1 (order P500 in august) and had purchased a copy of 6 a month ago waiting for the reprint. Now I'm stickering away. Love Thucydides and Herodotus so was looking for the Greeks.

The P500 for expansion 2-3 looks like a good deal so I ordered that one (shipping in Dec.--I think it was like 33$ + shipping).

4 & 5 are to be reprinted Q1 I think so I'll wait until then to decide whether I want to go Epic (likely) and whether I need the 4th as well (not sure yet--will see how many scenarios I've made it through and whether I really need another 25 to play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clnanderson wrote:
will see how many scenarios I've made it through and whether I really need another 25 to play).
You do. Believe me, you do...

I'm lucky enough to have all the expansions and I love the choice of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon George
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eioua wrote:
What, for you, are the essential expansions, or your favorites? I'm thinking 1 and 6 are the ones for me — that's just the history I'm more interested in
Snap, same here.

I have the whole lot. 1,2,4,5,6 get the most play.

I play epic if I have time or normal if not.

Just buy the whole lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Olon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jherek wrote:
1,2,4,5,6 get the most play.
I'm laughing at that. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Anderson
United States
Chagrin Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
I really need to learn how to use Vassal as I just don't get enough opportunity to play ftf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clnanderson wrote:
I really need to learn how to use Vassal as I just don't get enough opportunity to play ftf.
Do it - once I made the effort I wondered why I ever waited so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Anderson
United States
Chagrin Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
Any advice for tutorials (video) and/or best ways to seek out games? Just finished stickering Expansions 1 & 6 and I won't get a ftf until the Nov.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clnanderson wrote:
Any advice for tutorials (video) and/or best ways to seek out games? Just finished stickering Expansions 1 & 6 and I won't get a ftf until the Nov.

It's a great, intuitive Vassal module and extremely easy to use.....so easy in fact that it can be disconcerting going back to play on the board.

If you have not used Vassal at all before you will need to download:

(a). The current version of the Vassal engine ....options for all platforms available at this link.

(b). The module and scenarios....there's a lot on this page and it's admittedly a bit confusing. I would download the following: C&CAncientsv3.vmod (the module itself with base game scenarios included), the expansion 1,2,3,4 and 6 extensions, and the C3i scenario extension....this gives you almost everything you need to play any scenario.

To get the module into your Vassal library you choose Open from the File dropdown menu and find it wherever you downloaded it. You then Right click the module title in your library and manually add each extension using the Add Extension option.

It is a fairly active online game and you're very likely to find opponents just by dropping onto the server (choose Look for a Game Online at start up).

Alternatively there is a yahoogroup dedicated solely to CCA Vassal play, which can be joined here....if you can navigate Yahoo's new interface. This is also the forum for organised Vassal tournament play, which I can highly recommend.

I think some of the videos in this forum use Vassal but I'm not sure that they're actual structured teaching videos for the module. I'm sure anybody you meet online would be happy to teach it and I would imagine somebody here will put up their hand. I would offer after late November, but am out of action until then.....but I think there would be plenty of people available in your time zone.

Good luck.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Anderson
United States
Chagrin Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
Sorry to highjack the thread. But one quick question--Am I right that Vassal would be used with some sort of chat program as well? If so what do folks use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My next game: TENNISmind, a simple yet realistic tennis match on your table
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL has a message line in which you can write things for the other player. When I play with my brother we use Skype, but sometimes the internet connection was not good enough and we used that message line, it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clnanderson wrote:
Sorry to highjack the thread. But one quick question--Am I right that Vassal would be used with some sort of chat program as well? If so what do folks use?
Skype is okay but the vast majority of people prefer to use the text chat feature in Vassal.....whether it be due to language barriers or not disturbing the family when playing at 2 a.m.

There is a generally accepted text shorthand which aids quick, smooth play and which is also very easy to pick up.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another program to consider is at wargameroom.com. There is a Java implementation of CCA.

This program enforces the rules and doesn't require the VASSAL set up. (Not that that is overly complex.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls