Subject: Monster-miniatures fantasy fighting game for kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there
I would love to have a lightweight fantasy game with nice monster-miniatures and some (dice-throwing?) fighting which is suitable for kids at the age of about 8 (doesn't matter if I would have to simplify some of the rules, as long as I don't have to change too much).

Of course I've heard about Heroscape - but this game and everything arounds it just costs a fortune (at least here in Europe). So this is not really an option...

And I would prefer games with pre-painted miniatures (at least at the moment...).

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics sounds right for you!

No elves and monsters, but mice and cats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krosmaster Arena? The visual appeal is certainly there! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were looking for something like Heroscape, look into the Dungeon Command series of D&D games (e.g., Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth). I've played it with a 9-year-old.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Switzerland. If English is problem for your kids, you can help them with learn what their cards do before playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'd say the D&D adventure system might work well. Very simplified it only even comes with a d20. You might just have to run his monsters for him through the ai system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Krosmaster: Arena. They're not Monsters exactly, but they are visually stunning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about King of Tokyo?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
HeroQuest. Plain and simple. There is NO other. The price is right. It's available on the second hand market for a price that equals recent big games. It also comes in many languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Jk_W wrote:
Mice and Mystics sounds right for you!

No elves and monsters, but mice and cats
This +1.

Mice and Mystics is one of the best dungeon crawlers, it's charming and is of great interest to both kids and adults.

My own daughter's eye opened in wonder when she learned you were not playing "mices", but were actually playing humans transformed into mices. She found that way cool and she loves to play Colin the prince, the leader of the group. The narrative is especially important for kids to keep their interest and Mice and Mystics has more of that than any other dungeon crawler on the market.

The game is made for 8 years old. No need to simplify anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions!
I already have Mouse and Mystics on my wishlist and I'm definitely looking forward to buying it. But it's not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment!

I never heard about Krossmaster: Arena. It really looks fantastic! It seems to be quite difficult to get here in middle Europe for a reasonable price, but things may change quickly. I put it on my wishlist. :-)

Dungeon Command really looks great! I think I would miss the dice, but maybe I'll give it a try!

I already got King of Tokyo. It's fun! But not what I'm looking for.

Second hand market for HeroQuest or Heroscape is an option, of course...

Thanks again...

deedob wrote:
My own daughter's eye opened in wonder when she learned you were not playing "mices", but were actually playing...
I just really hope you haven't spoiled parts of the story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
Mice & Mystics sounds like the ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rampage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes is an excellent game that is easy to pick up for children. I have played with six year olds with a little help from their father. It is a set of rules made to use any miniatures you might want, so you can use toys, figures from other games, etc...

Song of Fur and Buttons is a version of the same rules that I have not tried, but it is based on toys fighting each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
I never heard about Krossmaster: Arena. It really looks fantastic! It seems to be quite difficult to get here in middle Europe for a reasonable price, but things may change quickly. I put it on my wishlist.
I have seen the german version in the stores around here, not sure about the english one, though.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, Tim. Maybe I'm going to buy Dungeon Command and play it with the Song of Blades and Heroes rule-set :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Holmfirth
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a lot of auctions on ebay for heroscape sets, I recently bought the Rise of the Valkyrie starter set with a few extras for £45 and I have seen some sell for less than this.

Have you considered Heroclix? There are various types to try including Lord of the rings and if you shop around you can get large lots fairly cheaply.

I haven't tried it myself yet but Super Dungeon Explore looks good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Peegee13 wrote:
There are quite a lot of auctions on ebay for heroscape sets, I recently bought the Rise of the Valkyrie starter set with a few extras for £45 and I have seen some sell for less than this.

Have you considered Heroclix? There are various types to try including Lord of the rings and if you shop around you can get large lots fairly cheaply.

I haven't tried it myself yet but Super Dungeon Explore looks good too.
Ah yes, HeroClix: The Lord of the Rings is very nice indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions!
I already have Mouse and Mystics on my wishlist and I'm definitely looking forward to buying it. But it's not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment!
Based on your description it sounds exactly what you are looking for!

Seriously, a big +1 to Mice and mystics, it's really worked for the kids I've played with.

The D&D adventure system worked as well, but it was a bit harder then M&M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You can buy any of the games offered above for a reasonable price, or you can spend the money you need to to make your kids happy -- Heroscape is the correct answer. Nothing touches it in this genre, and you can likely sell it for what you buy it for (if not more) if things get tight.

I think you'd do better to explore creative ways to get a master set in your price range. It's all you'll ever need, and it's head and shoulders better than the other games being recommended.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could always try to track down some Monsterpocalypse. That game seemed to have a ton of promise in a oversaturated field of mini games at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
The fact that Mice are transformed human in Mice and Mystics is not really a spoiler since it is told in the first page of the storybook...

It's not as if he had told you that Collins is the king's son! ''Collins, I'm your father!''

Just kidding, that also is on the storybook first page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love CanadaMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: PhysicistMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: I Pay it Forward First
What about something like Nexus Ops?

Not much story, just fighting to complete objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

You can buy any of the games offered above for a reasonable price, or you can spend the money you need to to make your kids happy -- Heroscape is the correct answer.
Oh, Hi Sagrilarus. I already know that you're kids are big Heroscape-fans and you already told me how bad I am in being a dad. (Well, I think you told everybody, but ok. ) According to your suggestion, spending 200 Dollars for Heroscape would make me a good dad, but even if so: I really think my status in being a responsible husband would drop significantly.
And know what? I'm pretty sure my kids are going to love Mice & Mystics.

@Paul: It actually isn't that easy in Switzerland. Ebay here is tiny. You hardly get any good boardgames on it apart from overpriced "Spiel des Jahres"-stuff. And if I buy it in other countries, I have to pay a lot for transport - and most people do not offer their stuff for other countries anyway. Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

@Mike: ok, thanks. I really was afraid it could be something like this "I'm your father"-thing

@Adria D: Thanks for the suggestion. I put that on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:

Oh, Hi Sagrilarus. I already know that you're kids are big Heroscape-fans and you already told me how bad I am in being a dad. (Well, I think you told everybody, but ok. )
    Oh, not everybody at all. The very fact that you included Heroscape in your initial request is an indication that you're thinking like a kid. But I'll agree, $200 is salty as hell. I'm seeing a 95% complete copy here in the U.S. for $100 shipped to Switzerland, but it does not mention import tax which may or may not apply.

Did Heroscape sell in Europe at all, or are the copies on the continent all imports? If I had a spare I'd get it across to you at cost but I haven't stumbled across a copy lately. They still pop up in yard sales now and again.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Maher
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Heroquest. It's easy to pick up on ebay (from Germany even). You can make it as easy or as difficult as you need it to be for your kids. It's got furniture! It's got story which you can embellish as you play... It's what you are really looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |