Dave Seligson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stronger part of "Will Focus" card costs a green mana.
It says when I activate that, I can play another card with it and that I get the "Stronger effect of that card for free"
However, in the "Stronger effect" of the Improvisation card, it specifies that I must discard another card from my hand.

So, technically, if I discard the other card, it's not really free.
However, you could say the "Stronger" effect action *includes* that requirement, and what I'm getting for free is the Red mana it would have cost to activate the stronger effect.

Thanks,
It's my first time with the solo.
DaveS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the red mana for free. The stronger effect is all of the text on the bottom half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You still need to discard another card.

The strong effect of Will Focus triggers the stronger effect of a card (in this case Improvisation) without paying that card's mana. You still need to do whatever the stronger effect requires - which, in the case of Improvisation, is discard a card.

Discarding a card is part of the effect. The effect has been triggered for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Seligson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys,
Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another card to compare for this rule would be Crystallize:

Crystallize Basic Effect wrote:
When you play this, also pay one mana of a basic color. Gain a crystal of that color to your Inventory.
Crystallize Strong effect wrote:
Gain a crystal of any color to your Inventory.
Now apply Maximal Effect to that card
Maximal Effect Basic Effect wrote:
When you play this, play another Action card with it. Use the basic effect of that card three times. Then, throw away that card.
Maximal Effect Strong effect wrote:
When you play this, play another Action card with it. Use the advanced effect of that card two times (for free). Then, throw away that card.
If you use the basic effect of Maximal effect and you use crystallize, you will have to use 3 mana, to convert into 3 crystal.

If you use the strong effect of Maximal effect, you use one red mana for maximal effect, and you pick 2 mana crystal of your choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls