Subject: Die rolling for tie break rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone try to roll a die to determine the tie break?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason RJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Airecon attendeeMicrobadge: Terrifying Robot Dog podcast fanMicrobadge: Radiotopia podcast network fanMicrobadge: Adam Savage's Tested fanMicrobadge: Mr. Robot fan
For me this is too unreliable I prefer the suggestion in this post which gives everyone a fair shot at winning a tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Wong
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be playing it with dice from now on. I haven't tried it yet, but the influence tie breaker system has always bothered me.

If I'm not mistaken, the solution in the above post would indeed attempt to equally divide the wins between the players, but each player would still know at which ranks they would be capable of outranking. I am not looking at any cards right now, but for example, red will always outrank yellow for ranks 1-10 and 25-30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason RJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Airecon attendeeMicrobadge: Terrifying Robot Dog podcast fanMicrobadge: Radiotopia podcast network fanMicrobadge: Adam Savage's Tested fanMicrobadge: Mr. Robot fan
Maybe my link didn't work but I was suggesting this tie-breaker variant:
Highland Cow wrote:
At the start of the game, mix up the coloured flags and line them face-up from left to right along the top of the board. This sequence of flags determines the hierarchy of the first tie-break. When the first tie-break occurs, arrange the tied cards in sympathy with the rank of the corresponding flags. Then move the right hand flag to the left hand end of the queue. Continue on this basis, remembering to send the lead flag to the back of the queue after resolving each tie-break. (Days with X tie-breaks have X flag movements).

This variant is unobtrusive and simple to administer. Also, knowing where you currently lie in the pecking order adds a bit more strategy to the card play, although your plans can be unsettled by multiple tie-breaks in a day.
I don't see how red could always outrank yellow in that scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls