8 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Diplomatic relations with Ancients rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo March
Spain
flag msg tools
If a player gets contact with an Ancient owned sector, the player may stablish diplomatic relations with him, by gifting the Ancient one or more of his/her researched "ship part" technologies.

No ambassador is sent, neither a population cube, just a copy of the "ship part" tile from the supply board. The Ancient upgrades inmediatly it´s ship parts with the new ones... Doubling or tripling hulls, upgrading shields, arms, computers, energy sources... Following the normal ship construction rules.

This way, Ancient´s ships will not be such an easy enemy to be defeated in the middle stages of the game.

Take into account that the Ancient may use such a gifts against you in the future.

Any thoughts about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
resourced "ship part" technologies
Quote:
a copy of the "ship part" from the reserve
I have no idea what you are talking about here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo March
Spain
flag msg tools
Radziol wrote:
Quote:
researched "ship part" technologies: plasma canon/missile, tachyon source, gloun computer...
Quote:
a "ship part" tile from the supply board
I have no idea what you are talking about here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is it just that ancient ship that gets upgraded or all ancient ships? how do you swap without a blueprint? if you trade with one ancient, are you in relations with all ancients or just that sector? if the latter, how do you signify it is only that sector? it appears by creating relations, the ancients get something, and you get nothing ... what is the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo March
Spain
flag msg tools
MunchWolf wrote:
is it just that ancient ship that gets upgraded or all ancient ships?
All Ancient ships (1 or 2) in the only sector the player contacts with.

MunchWolf wrote:
how do you swap without a blueprint?
Double or triple each of its hull points, upgrade its energy source, computer and/or shield, change its arms. Following the normal total Energy Consumption rule. Not adding components, but upgrading them.

MunchWolf wrote:
if you trade with one ancient, are you in relations with all ancients or just that sector? if the latter, how do you signify it is only that sector?
No. The player may stablish diplomatic relations only with the Ancient hex he contacts and sends gifts.

MunchWolf wrote:
it appears by creating relations, the ancients get something, and you get nothing ... what is the point?
The player gifting the Ancients, makes them stronger, so it will be harder for the other players to defeat them...

So it will be more difficult, and desirably more expensive for them colonizing Ancient planets.

Ancients may be used to avoid another player getting in contact with you.

Finally... Ancients are very weak in the middle stages of the game. No player will be so sure when attacking Ancients now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeoMarch wrote:
MunchWolf wrote:
is it just that ancient ship that gets upgraded or all ancient ships?
All Ancient ships (1 or 2) in the only sector the player contact with.

MunchWolf wrote:
how do you swap without a blueprint?
Double or triple each of its hull points, upgrade its energy source, computer and/or shield, changing its arms. Following the normal total Energy Consumption rule. Not adding components, but upgrading them.

MunchWolf wrote:
if you trade with one ancient, are you in relations with all ancients or just that sector? if the latter, how do you signify it is only that sector?
No. The player may stablish diplomatic relations only with the Ancient hex he contacts and sends gifts.

MunchWolf wrote:
it appears by creating relations, the ancients get something, and you get nothing ... what is the point?
The player gifting the Ancients, makes them stronger, so it will be harder for the other players to defeat them...

So it will be more difficult, and desirably more expensive for them colonizing Ancient planets.

Ancients may be used to avoid another player getting in contact with you.

Finally... Ancients are very weak in the middle stages of the game. No player will be so sure when attacking Ancients now.
I see one major problem here. With this rule, can I call dibs on playing Draco?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo March
Spain
flag msg tools
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
I see one major problem here. With this rule, can I call dibs on playing Draco?
Yes, you can. It works specially well with Descendants' especial "protective" rol.

Try it if you can and give me feedback (keep flying all around, it´s funny and worthy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm failing to see the point of this variant.

For starters, why would I want to form diplomacy with an Ancient? I obviously wouldn't be gaining any resource advantage out of it. As of round 3 or 4, my ships will likely be more capable of defending my space than even an upgraded ancient, not to mention infinitely more mobile.

More importantly, I'm actively deciding that I'd rather not have the resource production from that hex, nor the discovery, nor the early reputation draw from destroying that ancient.

On top of that, I'm basically just handing all of those things to an opponent when they do decide mid-game to attack that hex before me. And if I do decide to attack it because its's in my way, do I also get the traitor card?

I really can't fathom any way that doing this would benefit me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls