Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A good place to Expose? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
I'm starting to think Expose has a nice place on the B-wing. While it doesn't really work out as well with Ibitsam's ability - it does work with Ibitsam's pilot skill level...

Why is it a good place? Because of the Fire Control System - we now have a way to start getting target locks AND the extra expose die. Of course we're dropping our 1 defense down to 0 - but, this means we're sometimes taking a little more damage (infact, only 3/8ths of the time if we aren't using a defensive focus!)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
I'm starting to think Expose has a nice place on the B-wing. While it doesn't really work out as well with Ibitsam's ability - it does work with Ibitsam's pilot skill level...

Why is it a good place? Because of the Fire Control System - we now have a way to start getting target locks AND the extra expose die. Of course we're dropping our 1 defense down to 0 - but, this means we're sometimes taking a little more damage (infact, only 3/8ths of the time if we aren't using a defensive focus!)

I think that the question you have to ask isn't 'Does Expose work on Ibtisam' but instead 'Is Expose better than PTL on Ibtisam?'

I don't think that it is, especially when it's more expensive.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
i like to put expose on the falcon. On Han, Expose is quite powerful even on its own, thanks to Han's reroll and maybe a gunner crew thrown in as well. On Chewy, his low PS of 5 means that you can easily get your second action from Dutch Garven Kyle Squadleader etcetcetc, and because of the 360 firing arcs, you can always pick the better targets, or pick range 1 targets to give you 5 dices. The falcon also has more than enough hp to be able to tank the incoming hits from the reduced agility value, compared to a small ship using it.

Vader is another great place to put expose, it solves the problem of Vader not being damaging enough and because it is an action, you can choose when you want to activate it, plus if you were to collide into something, it "reverts" back to the defensive TIEadv
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I faced an opponent with Expose on Turr Phennir. It worked well, as he still had higher PS than most of my pilots. He'd Expose, take a 4 or 5-dice attack, then Boost or Barrel Roll out of my arc so I didn't have a counterattack. Pretty nifty. On the other hand, he didn't have Focus, so it was more luck-dependent than a typical 3 or 4-dice attack with Focus, but it has the potential to be devastating.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I see it's time for me to rant about Expose again.

***

There are three costs for this card: there's the cost to activate it (an action plus -1 Agility), the build cost to deploy it (4 points), and the opportunity cost (you're not using something else in the slot).

The Fire Control System does make Expose better by softening the action cost. But that leaves the cost to your defense, the cost to deploy it, and the associated opportunity cost--all of which are, IMO, still too high for what Ibtisam gets from Expose.

(Or, alternatively, consider that it's the same cost for PTL+Advanced Sensors. Similar offensive boost, same build cost, better maneuverability, easier to activate her pilot ability, and no defensive cost...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
I'm running it with jan ors and squad leader, and Biggs for the time being... 5 dice with tl and focus, 6 at range one... It's almost like an apt per turn...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Shaftoe
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This very thought occurred to me today.......I'm playing tomorrow, think I will try it!

I assume that using Expose , attacking at range 1 plus Jan Ors within range 1-3 without a stress token , you'd be rolling 6 attack dice ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
actually wait, if we are specifically talking about Bwings, wouldn't HLC be a much much better choice than expose? Granted, you will not get 5 dices, but you will be attacking at all ranges with 4 dices AND your own action, plus your opponent does not get any bonuses at range 3
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
actually wait, if we are specifically talking about Bwings, wouldn't HLC be a much much better choice than expose? Granted, you will not get 5 dices, but you will be attacking at all ranges with 4 dices AND your own action, plus your opponent does not get any bonuses at range 3
Yes, it would.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Yes and no, Higher chance of critical effects with the primary boost - granted you can target lock to reroll everything on the HLC to go for the crit effect.. but even then 5 or 6 dice vs 4 is higher chance for crit hunting... and probably enough hits to consistantly get them through.

Ignoring the action cost - you also save a point over the HLC cost. Either way - I'm aware of how good the HLC is on B-wings. I've just been trying to find places for Expose that seem possibly decent. FCS + Expose seems to be one of the few "single ship" solutions - as it gets you the boost you need.

There's been much talk about expose not being as good as PTL from a mathematical standpoint. It's too bad Expose only affects the primary weapon - I think at it's point cost, boosting any attack would have possibly made it worthwhile as is.

At the moment, Vader and Han seem to be the best places for it - (More so Han, because Expose does affect both it and the gunner attack). I've also found it allright on a firespray ,because you can pass by, and expose and shoot from the rear arc... Gunner also works on the firespray...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
Ignoring the action cost...


Don't ignore the action cost. I'm convinced that the action economy is absolutely fundamental to understanding X-wing tactics (and that Expose and, to a lesser extent, Vader and Push the Limit are evidence that early in the game's life cycle, the design team underestimated the importance of the action economy.)

ravncat wrote:
I've just been trying to find places for Expose that seem possibly decent. FCS + Expose seems to be one of the few "single ship" solutions - as it gets you the boost you need.
As I said above, you're right that FCS creates the extra action you need to get the most out of Expose. But that's evidence that FCS is good, not that Expose is; for 6 points I can think of a lot of powerful combinations, and very few of them make you critically vulnerable the way Expose does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
I think it is more likely that they simply didnt realize how powerful the focus token was.

imagine if the focus token only changed 1 eye result instead of all eye result. Suddenly, targetlock and evade tokens seem a lot more useful, which i think was their original idea actually, especially looking at some of the wave 3 cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
I'm convinced that the action economy is absolutely fundamental to understanding X-wing tactics (and that Expose and, to a lesser extent, Vader and Push the Limit are evidence that early in the game's life cycle, the design team underestimated the importance of the action economy.)
Well, Vader at least had the happy accident of being in the execrable TIE Advanced, so he ended up balanced just fine. (Same with Tycho and PTL, really.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
A good place to Expose?
Not near a school. That will get you arrested.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Thisson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The only place I like it is on Mauler Mithel because of his special ability. It may also become more useful in battles greater than 100 points where you've got a higher chance of being able to fire with expose while not receiving return fire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Ors
Ion Cannon
Squad Leader
Chewie
Expose
Blue Squad B-Wing

I ended up flying this against someone flying an Interceptor/Howlrunner swarm against me. It was coincidentally the swarm that I used at Gencon with Backstabber and Dark Curse swapped out. When I told him after the game who I was on BGG, he admitted that he stole the list from me.

If I had to pick one thing that the list above was weak against, it would be a swarm, but this list won (barely). Chewie can roll 6 dice at times, and with the free action from Jan's squad leader, he still gets an action. Plus, on the first round, I would TL and Focus with chewie, and then not spend the TL unless absolutely necessary, so the next turn he could expose, and focus from Jan, giving him 6 dice with TL+Expose. Against a swarm it suffers by not doing enough damage to multiple ships each turn, but I 1-shot 3 of the 6 ships I killed.

This list is mroe designed to take out big ships (Slave, Bombers) in a minimal of attacks, or it is used to hit elusive enemies like the popular 9-9-9 list of Vader, Turr, and Soontir. It doesn't suffer from the "No Action" problem with expose, and the low agility Chewie ends up with isn't such a big deal since he can often get out of enemies' firing arc with his 360 gun. And there were times when I chose to have 2 5-dice attacks by using Jan to pump the B-Wing instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bonar
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Actually, Ibtisam may be an excellent fit for expose. I would suggest that FCS is not the ideal combination for her, however, since she has access to a small reroll on her own.

Combining with some other action efficiency effect like Garven or Kyle in order to get the other half of the "dynamic duo" (TL and focus) would be a more effective use of the ability. A 5 dice, focused attack with a mini-target lock would be devastating.

Having said all that, I believe the combo you are looking for is the upcoming Opportunist. It allows Ibtisam her action for a focus, does not require additional equipment or squadmates to use, and leaves her unstressed unless and until she decides to make use of the ability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thisson wrote:
The only place I like it is on Mauler Mithel because of his special ability. It may also become more useful in battles greater than 100 points where you've got a higher chance of being able to fire with expose while not receiving return fire.
Okay I loved this idea and immediately went into squad building mode.

Mauler Mithel (21)
- TIE Fighter (17), Expose (4)
Backstabber (16)
Captain Jonus (22)
Scimitar Squadron Pilot (21)
- TIE Bomber (16), Assault Missiles (5)
Scimitar Squadron Pilot (20)
- TIE Bomber (16), Cluster Missiles (4)

Fly the TIE Fighters separately from the TIE Bombers, looking to flank with the fighters while the opponent focuses on trying to take out one of the missile threats before it goes off (or Jonus). Backstabber could also be dropped to an Academy Pilot to get four points for PS4 or Seismics on the Scimitars or a Concussion missile on Jonus...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
IainHamp wrote:
Thisson wrote:
The only place I like it is on Mauler Mithel because of his special ability. It may also become more useful in battles greater than 100 points where you've got a higher chance of being able to fire with expose while not receiving return fire.
Okay I loved this idea and immediately went into squad building mode.

Mauler Mithel (21)
- TIE Fighter (17), Expose (4)
Backstabber (16)
Captain Jonus (22)
Scimitar Squadron Pilot (21)
- TIE Bomber (16), Assault Missiles (5)
Scimitar Squadron Pilot (20)
- TIE Bomber (16), Cluster Missiles (4)

Fly the TIE Fighters separately from the TIE Bombers, looking to flank with the fighters while the opponent focuses on trying to take out one of the missile threats before it goes off (or Jonus). Backstabber could also be dropped to an Academy Pilot to get four points for PS4 or Seismics on the Scimitars or a Concussion missile on Jonus...
Eh I dont know if I like spending 63 points in bombers for what ultimately amounts to two missile shots.

Piqsid wrote:

When I told him after the game who I was on BGG, he admitted that he stole the list from me.
"Borrowed" I "borrowed" your list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Origen wrote:
Having said all that, I believe the combo you are looking for is the upcoming Opportunist. It allows Ibtisam her action for a focus, does not require additional equipment or squadmates to use, and leaves her unstressed unless and until she decides to make use of the ability.
Yeah, Expose is a pretty wretched card born of a tragic overvaluing of attack dice. The like one time it isn't a foolish pick is going to vanish once Targeting Computer and Opportunist officially come out as alternatives for upping firepower on guys like Vader. I see Opportunist as what Expose should have been...and I am still pretty sure Opportunist sucks.

Or maybe Push the Limit is just outlandishly great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
SuperKlaus wrote:
Yeah, Expose is a pretty wretched card born of a tragic overvaluing of attack dice.
It's quibbling, but I think it's an undervaluing of Focus and Target Lock rather than an overvaluing of attack dice.

Quote:
I see Opportunist as what Expose should have been...and I am still pretty sure Opportunist sucks.
Nothing's stopping you from proxying it now, and I've found it's everything I've always wanted Expose to be--it's expensive, and a bit hard to justify if you're only running one highly skilled pilot in your squad, but overall it's a really effective upgrade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Thisson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
SuperKlaus wrote:
I am still pretty sure Opportunist sucks.
Opportunist can be used with secondary weapons such as ordinance and doesn't cost an action or reduce your defense dice. I do not think it sucks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls