Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

As my birthday is approaching, I'm looking for some idea of what to get, and I'm looking for a game that falls into each of these categories:

1) Family game
2) Soloable medium game

For #1:
The family consists of myself, my non-gamer wife, and my almost 6 year old son. Currently we enjoy:
Rise of Augustus
Lords of Waterdeep
Ticket to Ride
7 Wonders

I've been looking at the following:
Tokaido
Takenoko
Smash Up
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

As for #2:
It should play in 2 hours or less, and be somehting that I can take along to a gaming group. Top marks if it could also be somehting my wife / son might be interested in.
Currently I have my eye on Suburbia, but it seems hard to come by - anything else I should be looking at? CO₂ maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
Hi all,

1) Family game

For #1:
The family consists of myself, my non-gamer wife, and my almost 6 year old son. Currently we enjoy:
Rise of Augustus
Lords of Waterdeep
Ticket to Ride
7 Wonders

Zooloretto
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
Carcassonne: South Seas (or Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers or basic CC with 1 or 2 expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
Hi all,

1) Family game

For #1:
Rise of Augustus
Lords of Waterdeep
Ticket to Ride
7 Wonders

Zooloretto
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
Carcassonne: South Seas

I agree with the Zooloretto recommendation. Excellent family game that is easy to explain and fun to play. Very interesting set collection mechanic. And what child wouldn't like arranging his own zoo?

As for soloable, take a look at Race for the Galaxy combined with the first expansion Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm. That first expansion has the solo variant. Warning: the solo variant is very hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jones
United Kingdom
Urmston
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Neil,

For #1, Takenoko is an excellent family game which I would heartily recommend. On the coop side, Pandemic and Flash Point: Fire Rescue are both excellent.

For #2, Suburbia is very good and seems available at both of my main UK online stores (Gameslore and Boardgame Guru). Would also recommend Snowdonia which I think is being reprinted imminently and should be available by the time of Essen (or shortly thereafter).

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there...

Family game: King of Tokyo for sure. So much fun. Yeah, there's reading, but you can help your son with that. He'll dig the monsters and the dice rolling though!

I like fooling around with Ascension: Storm of Souls solo, and you can take it to your group and play it with others as well...maybe not quite a medium game though. Anyway, food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies all.

Zooloretto - I've looked at this for a while, but I think it's between printings at the moment. Just not sure on this one for some reason.

Flash Point & Pandemic I have, as well as Forbidden Island and Desert

King of tokyo I don't like for only three players, and it also needs to play well 2p as my wife doesn't always join us - and Tokyo doesn't play well 2p. However his reading is good, qand anything that improves it is very much encouraged

Ascencion - I already have Legendary, not sure I need another deckbuilder.

Snowdonia just doesn't appeal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls