Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Simply Walk Into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I can do a game listing like this...
http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame?sort=rank&sortdir=...
But it shows all boardgames rated over ALL time. Some games are on top because they have ratings from long ago. Is there a way to filter a game listing where the ratings are more current?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your purpose? To strip out old votes for old games, and only consider their recent votes? Or to strip out old games, in general.

The latter can be addressed within the Advanced Search menu by providing values for YEAR PUBLISHED RANGE.

(and for the former, shall I pretend to take umbrage that my vote from 5 years ago is less valuable than the one posted only 5 weeks ago?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnjoyRC wrote:
Some games are on top because they have ratings from long ago.
Interesting. More often I see postings of dismay that older games are falling in rank becuase newer games are getting greater number of ratings posted as byproduct of a great increase in new membership (which is unfamiliar with the older games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
What is your purpose? To strip out old votes for old games, and only consider their recent votes?
Exactly. Some older games have 1000's of 8+ votes that keep um on top regardless of how good new games are. I'd like to see like a "People Choice" for games that have been voted on in the past 12 months. Only include votes submitted in the past x months. I know the vote timestamp is registered on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
(and for the former, shall I pretend to take umbrage that my vote from 5 years ago is less valuable than the one posted only 5 weeks ago?)

It is, IMHO. A vote five years ago that you confirmed you still agree with 5 weeks ago is better than both, however. But old votes were done against a different set of competing games, with (probably) a different standard of how you would classify good, indifferent and bad. I think (and have argued before, with no success) that we should 'age' votes so that more recent ones DO get more weighting. However, to support that we need UI changes to make it easy to reconfirm old votes - clearly if we expect everyone to use the current interfaces to update their votes, it is not going to happen.

... and I fully expect to be shouted down again ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
EnjoyRC wrote:
TVis wrote:
What is your purpose? To strip out old votes for old games, and only consider their recent votes?
Exactly. Some older games have 1000's of 8+ votes that keep um on top regardless of how good new games are. I'd like to see like a "People Choice" for games that have been voted on in the past 12 months. Only include votes submitted in the past x months. I know the vote timestamp is registered on BGG.
But that datestamp is a fairly recent addition, and old votes that were already on the database when that was introduced were given dates that were educated guesses, but guesses none the less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
But that datestamp is a fairly recent addition, and old votes that were already on the database when that was introduced were given dates that were educated guesses, but guesses none the less.
Ahhh.. thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
However, to support that we need UI changes to make it easy to reconfirm old votes -
I'm the sort who would wear my aged timestamp proudly rather than destroy it just to have a confirmed update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is of course possible to view extremely current information, but there remains a quite large task of turning it into an aggregated report.

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/current

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
It is of course possible to view extremely current information, but there remains a quite large task of turning it into an aggregated report.

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/current

Neat, I never knew about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely disagree with the people here, I find that new games tend to be over ranked (read on average "over-rated"). It is in fact a minor miracle to find a game that stands the test of time and has a high rating. I would argue that newer games should be biased downward to reflect a truer sense of their "goodness" over the long term.

The reality is in fact the opposite of what the OP suggests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls