Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last part of the quest the players must search the encounter discard deck and add 1 spider card to the staging area. It also says you
Must find and defeat Ungols spawn to win the game.
If I had defeated him earlier does that mean I've won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
No, it does not. You have to either choose to bring him back and kill him again or wait until you've been through the entire deck again and he pops up again, hoping that he does not come up as a shadow card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll have to pull him out now.

Also if I pay for Beorn does he operate as a normal ally until he uses his +5 attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:

Also if I pay for Beorn does he operate as a normal ally until he uses his +5 attack?
Yes, he'll typically stay with you until he (a) is reduced to zero HP and discarded or (b) uses the +5 bonus and is shuffled back into your deck. So you can use him for questing, attacking, defending or anything else you'd need an ally for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
Yes, he's just a regular ally, he's unique, that's the only thing you need to remember. When you trigger his ability during an action window he gets the +5 attack and then goes back into your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
Beorn stays in play and operates like any other ally. As the card states, when you use his +5 attack ability he gets shuffled back into your deck at the end of the phase (not round, keep that in mind) you triggered the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rabuck
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Denim Theatre
Microbadge: Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom fanMicrobadge: Camp Grizzly fanMicrobadge: All Glory to the HypnotoadMicrobadge: MST3K fan
andrewbwm wrote:
rougebladez wrote:
No, it does not. You have to either choose to bring him back and kill him again or wait until you've been through the entire deck again and he pops up again, hoping that he does not come up as a shadow card.
Not so sure you are right about this. Wouldn't the card just say, "put Ungoliant's Spawn in to the staging area" instead of "search for a spider card" ?

I think if you've defeated the spawn earlier, then you only have to face a spider of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arabuck wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:
rougebladez wrote:
Not so sure you are right about this. Wouldn't the card just say, "put Ungoliant's Spawn in to the staging area" instead of "search for a spider card" ?

I think if you've defeated the spawn earlier, then you only have to face a spider of your choice.
Let's see if we can clarify this a bit:
1. You can choose any spider you want in the discard pile or encounter deck to bring back.
2. If you had previously defeated the Ungoliant's Spawn it does not matter. Defeating does not refer to it being in the discard pile, it means it has to be in play and you have to kill it.

It says you can search for a spider card because the choice is yours, maybe the Ungoliant's Spawn is still in the deck and you are in a bad position, you draw some other easier spider and you just hope it does not come up as a shadow card. Also, you have to do it for multiple players. The first player might draw the Ungoliant's Spawn, the next one still has to draw a spider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe that this is the first quest in the core set and this question hasn't been asked before.

I'm beginning to wonder can anyone play it correctly.
I know that a fresh pair of eyes can bring a new perspective but this is a bit obvious to have been overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppel (BGG)
Germany
Kirchzarten
B-W
flag msg tools
Meowww
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
I can't believe that this is the first quest in the core set and this question hasn't been asked before.
Why do you think it's not been asked before?
-> Ungoliant's Spawn Question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder can anyone play it correctly.
I know that a fresh pair of eyes can bring a new perspective but this is a bit obvious to have been overlooked.
It has been asked before. Several times. It has not been overlooked. The answer is clear: if you have beaten the spawn already, you have to beat it again. The card cannot say 'put the spawn in the staging area' because it may already be there. Or it may be engaged with you, or another player. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
So why didn't you check, rather than ask it again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seppel wrote:
rougebladez wrote:
Why do you think it's not been asked before?
-> Ungoliant's Spawn Question
Just to add more discussions on defeating Ungoliant's Spawn twice:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/749727/defeat-ungoliants-spa...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/668816/ungoliants-spawn

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/646413/dang-you-ungoliants-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls